Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagrommm View Post
There's a lot of hate I've read about Richmond on this thread (edit: the Portland forum) and it makes me wonder how much of that is residual growing pains of wanting to leave your hometown or not having been back in awhile. .
^^ nail on the head.

Glad you enjoyed your visit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWJsFb3JGfA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 06:40 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagrommm View Post
There's a lot of hate I've read about Richmond on this thread (edit: the Portland forum) and it makes me wonder how much of that is residual growing pains of wanting to leave your hometown or not having been back in awhile.
Just my two cents and I know this may be controversial but there was a lot of things I liked BETTER about richmond than Portland...
Hate is such a strong word, intolerance might be a better choice. Richmond has a long history of corrupt, inept leadership and a distinctive difference between segments of their population. There is also significant communities in the surrounding counties that refuses to be subservient to the city. Just my observations...

Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
While I like Richmond, the urban living experience is just more difficult IMO. Saying that Richmond has some improvements to make in the public transit arena is a DRAMATIC understatement. There's decent bus coverage to a couple of neighborhoods, and that's it. Portland has far better coverage IMO (not that it's not also lacking in some places).

I think one thing that's also missing from the conversation, which will take a little while to realize for visitors, is the culture between the two. Richmond's modern southern culture (with a lot of northern transplants) is most certainly different than Portland's western culture. Which takes us back around to what I was saying before:

Quote:
Both cities like the outdoors, bikes and music, but those are large categories. The economies are both pretty different too. Transit is worse here by quite a margin and its perception is completely upside down from Portland's; recent development patterns are quite different. While both liberal, Richmond seems a bit more conservative as a whole.

I respect your opinion, but I don't see how both are so similar, with the exception that they both offer a few large-category amenities that are not so similar at a closer glance. That doesn't mean they're not both very compatible. I definitely think they're compatible, but you don't have to be very the same to satisfy that relationship.
I like both a lot, but their histories are a stark contrast to one another. And from that comes some big differences IMO.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:35 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Interesting thread and already 9 years ago. How is Richmond seen now in 2023?

Old 09-30-2023, 08:25 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,736 times
Richmond is still minorly under the radar as a hipsterville, but not nearly so much as before. Lots of people moving into the city, to the point it's reached the classic stage of some locals being annoyed by move ins and wishing they would go elsewhere.

Prices are still cheap comparatively, but probably double or mor what they were in 2006, with all signs pointing to the prices continuing to rise.

Lots of people from SF, Austin, and Portland moving here, but the big movement is from northern virginia and washington dc. Reputation in Nova has gone from "what a hole" to "oh my god, the place is so nice and cheap and cool". So enormous numbers are moving down. Prices will probably stabilize at 60-70% of Nova, which is still much more than Richmond prices currently.

It's very hard to get a nice 150k house in Richmond still, though you can still find 150k houses. Nice 400k houses in great urban areas are plentiful, but will not remain so

Old 09-30-2023, 01:44 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Not trying to party poop but Virginia has become pricey as of late.

Old 10-31-2023, 08:00 AM

228 posts, read 920,169 times
We moved here this year after living in DC for 25 years, and the QOL improvement is pretty dramatic. Our neighborhood (Museum District) is very walkable/bikeable, lots of cafes and restaurants, and more than enough cultural amenities. Richmond certainly has a lot of poverty, but outside of those areas it feels very lively, and the universities ensure there's student life (or what passes for student life post-COVID).

But oddly, whenever we mention to friends that we've moved to RVA, we get a puzzled look and a "why??". I think most people form their impression of Richmond from what they see on I95, which is not attractive. And then there's the association with the Confederacy. So yeah, Richmond is much more expensive and desirable now, but compared to Portland/Boulder/Austin it's definitely below the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond