Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 05:19 PM

4,473 posts, read 3,241,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't disagree, but I would personally like to see major growth. Seaport type growth.
You could always just move to the Seaport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 05:47 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,984,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Great idea! It would make you so much happier!

Old 05-17-2024, 10:44 AM

18,059 posts, read 9,405,678 times
Quote:
I don't disagree, but I would personally like to see major growth. Seaport type growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Great idea! It would make you so much happier!
Holly, I'm not the one who is always complaining.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:58 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,984,144 times
Quote:
You post every crime you can find and that's not complaining? We would naturally expect that you'd be constantly miserable.

Old 05-17-2024, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You post every crime you can find and that's not complaining? We would naturally expect that you'd be constantly miserable.
I am always in good spirits.

You ignored my question about North Main.

Old 05-17-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Currently, a developer on the East Side is trying to crowd 4 new buildings on the same lot of an historic home in an historic district. No backyards allowed any more it appears.*
Quote:
PS:
*The Providence Group (Dustin Dezube, Managing Partner) has preliminary plans to subdivide the 29,961 square-foot lot at 64 Angell Street into five parcels, leaving the historic Captain George Benson House (1794) where it is, and adding four additional single-family residences at the corners of the large lot (by right the lot can be subdivided as long as each property is at least 5,000 square feet).
The property is in the city’s College Hill Local Historic District and the federally designated College Hill National Register District.
New GoLocal article about this:

Developer Dezube Wants to Carve Up Historic Goddard Estate on College Hill

Interesting excerpt from the article:

"This winter, Dezube proposed a 58-unit project in the Mount Hope section of Providence. That project drew fierce neighborhood criticism, and Dezube withdrew the proposed development."

^ This is the micro apartments project that we discussed a few months ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...x-mt-hope.html

Old 05-18-2024, 05:28 PM

23,812 posts, read 18,963,506 times
Quote:
Thank you for actually expressing that idea! Of course, too many forces at work to keep building large buildings and increasing density (the latest fad from the architecture schools).

Currently, a developer on the East Side is trying to crowd 4 new buildings on the same lot of an historic home in an historic district. No backyards allowed any more it appears.*

Big and ever growing seems to be the only acceptable mantra. Aesthetics, livability, and ease of getting around are way down the list.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of places in other parts of the city that can and should be improved- the developers aren't interested in those areas of course because those don't attract the big money buyers and renters. It's not about providing people nice places to live folks, it's just about making big profit, often by destroying the historic character of neighborhoods.

PS:
*The Providence Group (Dustin Dezube, Managing Partner) has preliminary plans to subdivide the 29,961 square-foot lot at 64 Angell Street into five parcels, leaving the historic Captain George Benson House (1794) where it is, and adding four additional single-family residences at the corners of the large lot (by right the lot can be subdivided as long as each property is at least 5,000 square feet).
The property is in the city’s College Hill Local Historic District and the federally designated College Hill National Register District.

Once again, I don't recall you ever being OK with any kind of development in ANY shape or form. I keep asking you and you have failed to provide one example of a proposal you would be OK with, or even a somewhat recent project from another city that would work in Providence. All you ever do is say no.

Face it Holly, the only thing acceptable to you is for Providence to remain stuck in neutral forever (which of course in reality is a long term decline). The classic NIMBY.

Old 05-19-2024, 02:41 PM

23,812 posts, read 18,963,506 times
Quote:
I was recently reading the Maine forum and a comment was made by someone who had just moved there from NYC and was complaining about the lack of Chinese restaurants in Maine.

Yeah there are some amusing comments over there, like some clueless poster from Oregon who clearly doesn't appreciate or understand local variations in food.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:38 AM

Proposed Hilton Tower, Amazing Views of Route 95 - Architecture Critic Will Morgan

^ This guy is not happy.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:29 AM

12,228 posts, read 8,141,493 times
Now with all the empty parking lots in Providence... are there plans to cover those?

I love Providence, but on my last visit it seems like the city has not kept up development wise and it was an uneasy feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: