Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 06:09 AM

4,267 posts, read 11,452,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Dune brothers, which gets good reviews for seafood, to open on Ives St in Fox Point and also in the new food court in the old train station.

Their lobster rolls were $35 when I just looked it up- very pricey!! But they also offer fish and chips, etc.

Hollytree created an informative post about a new restaurant coming to Fox Point and, like almost every post on the RI forum, it turns into yet another pissing contest. The same people whining, arguing, on almost every post. This is the reason people don’t frequent this forum any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 06:49 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,248,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Hollytree created an informative post about a new restaurant coming to Fox Point and, like almost every post on the RI forum, it turns into yet another pissing contest. The same people whining, arguing, on almost every post. This is the reason people don’t frequent this forum any longer.
Feel free to add some positivity.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:00 AM

13,001 posts, read 22,191,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
As far as off-topic drifts go, this one didn't seem so bad to me. Sure, there's the usual whining, putting words in people's mouths, and unhelpful/unsolicited jabs at other posters, but this one had useful information at least.

I like Dune Brother's. I love that their menu reflects what's fresh and available and utilizes some local fish that are abundant and underutilized in food (i.e. spiny dogfish, skate, etc.). It's also fair to point out that, depending on the fish they use, the skin may be attached (it specifies this on the menu - there's no skin on the shark or skate wing). That's not an issue for me (it's also not really uncommon for fish to be cooked with the skin attached - it's actually helpful for pan-searing fish), but it's useful information for anyone to know. Some clearly have an issue with that. My fish sandwich (which used the skin-on pollock) was the best I've had, but I'm not going to presume everyone has the exact same taste as me.

I also never hate the mention of Amaral's which has outstanding traditional fish and chips (just plain haddock and cod, skinless, and deep fried). If you want the classic, it's hard to beat Amaral's (I can't think of a place that does). I personally think it's worth doing both. They're very different takes on the same dish. Clearly they both are very popular and Dune Brother's will do just as well with their year-round spot as they do with the shack. But if this thread ultimately highlights 2 great RI restaurants, I can ignore some of the nonsense.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:14 AM

^I apologize if I added to the nonsense. It just gets tiresome when some posters react to every post with negativity. Unfortunately, I did the same by objecting to it!

Old 05-14-2024, 10:26 AM

18,139 posts, read 9,447,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
^I apologize if I added to the nonsense. It just gets tiresome when some posters react to every post with negativity. Unfortunately, I did the same by objecting to it!
You didn't add to the nonsense. You were the only one posting nonsense.

And pointing out that Dune Bros leaves the skin on the fish is not "negativity". It's helpful information. Most people would not be happy to be surprised by that.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote that. I was referring more more the speaking in absolutes about highly subjective things, trolling, assumptions about people's tastes, etc. I like fish and chips, and while I didn't have the "chips" at Dune Brother's, the fish was outstanding. Amaral's is also outstanding, though it's a very different take on the same dish. I didn't see it as something that needed to be debated. Especially since it's about a specific restaurant and their new location. But the Amaral's fan in me certainly doesn't mind the plug for that spot as well.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:57 AM

18,139 posts, read 9,447,535 times
Highly subjective? I think not. Dune Bros caters to the mid-west transplants who only know frozen fish sticks. Rhode Islanders are not interested in fish & chips with the skin left on. That is truly vile.

And if you ask me, this is just another example of you backing yourself into a corner with a fake review.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Highly subjective? I think not. Dune Bros caters to the mid-west transplants who only know frozen fish sticks. Rhode Islanders are not interested in fish & chips with the skin left on. That is truly vile.

And if you ask me, this is just another example of you backing yourself into a corner with a fake review.
I didn't ask, but your take (and your inability to accept an opinion other than your own) is noted.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Redplum, you've done it again. Putting Dunes in the same sentence as frozen fish sticks is some crazy trolling. Kudos. And then doubling down on people owing you pictures and reviews or they're lying? Priceless, I nearly fell off my chair laughing. World class trolling, I bet someone takes the bait. You crazy kid, you!

Old 05-14-2024, 05:00 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Dune brothers, which gets good reviews for seafood, to open on Ives St in Fox Point and also in the new food court in the old train station.

Their lobster rolls were $35 when I just looked it up- very pricey!! But they also offer fish and chips, etc.
Ives Street really has a good collection of restaurants now.

I have not been to Dune Brothers, but I trust lrfox’s opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: