Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 04:41 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,251,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
After a bit of searching I found the blog written by the poster whose name is LookinForMayberry. I hope this link works (I'm not the best at linking): https://www.city-data.com/blogs/5730...rmayberry.html
Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 10:34 AM

51,692 posts, read 25,972,257 times
Friends of ours retired, got rid of everything that wouldn't fit in half dozen suitcases, and set out for Costa Rica.

Before they left, they set up residency in Florida, and use an address there for official business.

They didn't plan to stay in Costa Rica, but rather start there. So far, it has turned out to be a good home base. Couple times a year they fly to visit their kids. Seems to be working out.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:38 AM

761 posts, read 624,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Friends of ours retired, got rid of everything that wouldn't fit in half dozen suitcases, and set out for Costa Rica.

Before they left, they set up residency in Florida, and use an address there for official business.

They didn't plan to stay in Costa Rica, but rather start there. So far, it has turned out to be a good home base. Couple times a year they fly to visit their kids. Seems to be working out.
Glad to hear the Florida residency thing is working for them. Based on other info offered in this thread, I think we're looking at South Dakota for the same purpose. Seems Florida, South Dakota and Texas are the most workable options.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:52 AM

51,692 posts, read 25,972,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Glad to hear the Florida residency thing is working for them. Based on other info offered in this thread, I think we're looking at South Dakota for the same purpose. Seems Florida, South Dakota and Texas are the most workable options.
I'm not sure they considered South Dakota, but IIRC, Texas was an option.

They've been doing this for close to 10 years. They originally started out to have an adventure. They'd worked hard, raised the kids, and were ready for some thing different.

Because of the cost of insurance, they decided not to stay in the U.S. until they were both eligible for Medicare.

They've been pleased with the medical care in Costa Rica -- affordable, and focused a wellness rather than sickness.

They rent in one area for a time, then another. By my calculations, they re both over 65 now, but I've not heard any word about them returning to the U.S.

Old 05-20-2024, 04:54 PM

926 posts, read 679,122 times
We rented a storage shed over the weekend. We are moving next year so we started putting things we bought for the new place in there. When we are ready to move- we can pull the moving van up there load up and then get the things we want from our house. I have had fun buying new things for our kitchen, and new bedding and bath towels. All in the shed. Once we move we won't need the shed.
With our daughter buying our house-she will keep most of the furniture and beds we don't want.

Old 05-21-2024, 10:00 AM

16,193 posts, read 10,868,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post

By my estimates, it would cost roughly three times as much to live this way as it would cost to rent a decent unfurnished house or apartment with a year's lease and using your own furniture. Of course, this doesn't mean that it can't be done. It simply means that you would be paying about triple the living costs for ten years compared to what it would cost to rent for a longer (one year +) term with your own furniture. This may or may not be of interest to you. Just thought I'd mention it.

I was wondering what my cost comparison would be on a daily basis. For the month of April, an average 30-day period, I calculated a daily cost just for housing and amenities like TV, trash removal, and some basic upkeep (mostly gardening in April). I pay a relatively small mortgage payment that includes real estate tax. I didn't count food costs since I have to eat regardless. My cell phone is now a personal appendage, so I didn't count that cost. The daily cost for that month was $46.00. (I have a well for water, so I don't have a water bill until the pump goes out and then the cost of buying and installing a new pump would be about the same as a low monthly bill -- I didn't include that.) Costs would be higher in winter but not much of a difference in summer.

Prepared food cost while on the road would be expensive but less if one is able to buy groceries and cook.

The $46.00 daily cost ($1380.00/month) is far less than a short-term furnished apartment that includes utilities. I would never consider a travel trailer or motorhome. I think I'll stick it out and take periodic trips if I want to see some different scenery.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:47 AM

6,140 posts, read 3,847,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was wondering what my cost comparison would be on a daily basis. For the month of April, an average 30-day period, I calculated a daily cost just for housing and amenities like TV, trash removal, and some basic upkeep (mostly gardening in April). I pay a relatively small mortgage payment that includes real estate tax. I didn't count food costs since I have to eat regardless. My cell phone is now a personal appendage, so I didn't count that cost. The daily cost for that month was $46.00. (I have a well for water, so I don't have a water bill until the pump goes out and then the cost of buying and installing a new pump would be about the same as a low monthly bill -- I didn't include that.) Costs would be higher in winter but not much of a difference in summer.

Prepared food cost while on the road would be expensive but less if one is able to buy groceries and cook.

The $46.00 daily cost ($1380.00/month) is far less than a short-term furnished apartment that includes utilities. I would never consider a travel trailer or motorhome. I think I'll stick it out and take periodic trips if I want to see some different scenery.
You quoted only a "part" of my post. You left out what it was I was referring to. I was referring to traveling around the country and living in short term furnished rentals.

Here is my quoted text that you left out: "It seems that if you are not living in a motor home or something similar as you travel around the country and instead are staying in short-term fully furnished rentals of some kind, that would be rather expensive..."

Old 05-22-2024, 01:48 PM

11,134 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

That's pretty good. If I leave out FOOD, our biggest expense, our daily cost is $13.3.

With food, it's $30 per day. That's our entire budget.

Old Today, 04:22 PM

4,857 posts, read 3,670,317 times
Not for me. I like sleeping in my own bed, know where my things are.

I take pleasure in the ordinary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement