Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 08:20 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,490,417 times

Advertisements

Our home and auto insurance rose a lot this year in northern Nevada. We tried AAA and saved ~$1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 08:24 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,630,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Our home and auto insurance rose a lot this year in northern Nevada. We tried AAA and saved ~$1000.
I can’t figure out what about Reno is making it so expensive. So far no one has been cheaper than GEICO but I haven’t checked triple A.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:44 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,744,656 times
There must be some weather peril. When we lived in Denver it was the hail. When we moved west out of the hail belt, our insurance went down a lot.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:52 AM

37,720 posts, read 46,165,629 times
I just switched to Mercury homeowners from Nationwide and cut my policy to less than a third. Nationwide premiums have gone to the moon the last 2-3 years - at least here. It's insane. I think they must be trying to get out of the homeowner insurance business!

Old 05-11-2024, 08:52 AM

14,439 posts, read 14,382,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I checked Amica and they are much higher. Years ago I had USAA but they got much too expensive. I can’t imagine what I would pay if I had a newer car. Nevada must have a bunch of bad drivers.
Nevada has a bunch of bad drivers. People in Nevada are also more likely to be driving drunk or under the influence than in other states. I think gambling also tends to attract a group of people--that on the whole--are less responsible and careful than in other states. I am sure my rates in neighboring Utah are quite a bit lower.

I want to just caution everyone who thinks that when they go from insurance company A to insurance company B that not all insurance companies are equal. If you have a serious claim you may find that out. Companies like AMICA and USAA may be more expensive, but they had good records in terms of providing claim service. Insurance is about more than having a piece of paper saying you are insured. Its about having a company that will do its duty when it legally owes money.

Good car insurance can be very critical. When my kids were living at home even though they were driving I was paying to insure four cars and I was getting high limits of coverage. At one point, I was paying $4000 a year for car insurance. Not everyone can afford that kind of thing, but I've seen some horrible accidents were people got very little in the way of compensation because there just wasn't enough insurance. Even though we never had a single accident during that time period, I never once rejected my decision.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-11-2024 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-11-2024, 11:31 AM

8,023 posts, read 3,955,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Nevada has a bunch of bad drivers. People in Nevada are also more likely to be driving drunk or under the influence than in other states.
Generalize much? Please cite a source. (hint: TikTok doesn't count).

Quote:
I think gambling also tends to attract a group of people--that on the whole--are less responsible and careful than in other states.
Are you referring to out-of-state visitors from Utah and other states who come to Las Vegas for vacation?

Old 05-11-2024, 11:56 AM
JRR

8,184 posts, read 5,700,009 times
Quote:
Nevada has a bunch of bad drivers. People in Nevada are also more likely to be driving drunk or under the influence than in other states. I think gambling also tends to attract a group of people--that on the whole--are less responsible and careful than in other states. I am sure my rates in neighboring Utah are quite a bit lower.

I want to just caution everyone who thinks that when they go from insurance company A to insurance company B that not all insurance companies are equal. If you have a serious claim you may find that out. Companies like AMICA and USAA may be more expensive, but they had good records in terms of providing claim service. Insurance is about more than having a piece of paper saying you are insured. Its about having a company that will do its duty when it legally owes money.

Good car insurance can be very critical. When my kids were living at home even though they were driving I was paying to insure four cars and I was getting high limits of coverage. At one point, I was paying $4000 a year for car insurance. Not everyone can afford that kind of thing, but I've seen some horrible accidents were people got very little in the way of compensation because there just wasn't enough insurance. Even though we never had a single accident during that time period, I never once rejected my decision.
We have had Amica for years for just that reason. Every year I check prices and the difference to switch is not enough to justify getting questionable service. We have had one claim for a parking lot fender bender and it was handled quickly and painlessly. When we had a devastating tornado here on the other side of town Amica was on the phone early the next day to check and see if we were OK and needed anything.

When I see some of the problems people have with claims with other companies, I'll happily stick with Amica.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:24 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,744,656 times
US News has an interesting ranking of insurance companies and their rates. The site also has a link for home as well.
https://www.usnews.com/insurance/aut...ance-companies

Old 05-11-2024, 02:10 PM

17,376 posts, read 11,352,762 times
I don't know if for home insurance, specific location always has much to do with the amount of home insurance you pay unless maybe obvious places prone to natural disasters like hurricanes along the eastern seaboard and gulf states or western wildfires. Those that own homes in relatively safe locations, help pay for others in riskier locations.

This is the FEMA national risk index where you plug in your location and it gives you an estimated risk for natural disasters. My location is rated very low for KY and very low for the U.S., yet my home insurance went up about 35% in one year. I searched and found another company with a better price for better coverage. The price increase I received had nothing to do with local disasters because there weren't any.

https://hazards.fema.gov/nri/map

Old 05-11-2024, 02:12 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,630,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
US News has an interesting ranking of insurance companies and their rates. The site also has a link for home as well.
https://www.usnews.com/insurance/aut...ance-companies
According to the list GEICO has the cheapest car insurance of major carriers in Nevada and I have found that to be true. I also know from personal experience they will pay if someone hits you. My car was fixed quickly and they paid my chiropractor for months. If I had a newer car I could understand paying 1200/ year but I only drive 2700 miles a year and the car is 16 years old. In the past 3 years my insurance has went up a lot every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement