Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 03:53 AM

107,139 posts, read 109,499,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, you could always just update the thread you created in April 2021 complaining about the "bubble" and the price of houses at that point in time and regretting the fact that you hadn't bought a couple of years before that.

Either that, or just wait until next year and complain that you didn't purchase this year.
like those still waiting to get back in to equity markets …

they keep saying when things fall they will get in , but we have had two down turns the last 4 years and they bought in neither as fear then keeps them from buying.

they are perpetually out because they claim we are in a bubble or when things fall there is no bottom and they are waiting for the other shoe to drop .

wash and repeat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelova View Post
Buying a house right now might seem like a wild ride, but let me tell ya, it's all about perspective, my friend. With the market doing its little dance, it's not just about snagging a property; it's about selling differently . Yep, you heard me right! It's about flipping the script, thinking outside the box, and finding those hidden gems that others might overlook. Trust me, there's always a silver lining if you know where to look.
As for why someone would buy a house now? Well, it's like they say, "strike while the iron is hot!" Sure, the market might be a bit turbulent, but ain't that just life? Opportunity knocks, my friend, and sometimes you gotta answer the door even if it's wearing a different outfit than you expected.

But hey, enough about my two cents. I'm curious to hear what y'all think about this. Are you team "buy now, ask questions later" or do you think it's best to sit tight and wait for the dust to settle? Let's keep this conversation rollin'!

Old 05-17-2024, 08:22 PM

10,394 posts, read 8,634,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
I don't understand why anybody wants to buy a house now! Prices are way , way high for houses. People are even in bidding wars where I live and bid on the same house to try to buy it. Ridiculous, live in an apartment, a nice apartment, until the housing goes down or crashes like in 2008. I feel sorry for anybody buying a home right now, they should wait!
My friend just bought a house in December..he wanted to wait till prices went down. I told him not to. Since he bought the house it’s gone up value and interest rates are higher.
Had he waited like you were advocating he’d pay more and have higher mortgage payments.
If op bought when they posted their purchase price would be less and interest rate almost half.
Buying my house at op post date versus now my mortgage payments would be over double.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:47 PM

287 posts, read 294,627 times
Wait until the right house comes along that fits your budget, even if you have to stretch it a little.

The only time when the market will change, ironically, is when you’re no longer in it, and have no stake, and have no need to pay attention

Such is life

Old 05-18-2024, 05:26 PM

4,422 posts, read 2,973,839 times
I hope all you fools claiming with 100% certainty there would be a crash feel foolish now.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:39 AM

43,455 posts, read 77,419,338 times
Why would anyone buy a house now, hugely "overpriced?"

"To get a specific home they want or need, where they need it, and within their budget," is one good answer.

I would buy an "overpriced" home today, if it was what I want, within my budget, and not in need of additonal huge investment in renovation or updates to fit my subjective personal needs and tastes.

Old 05-19-2024, 09:54 AM

20,305 posts, read 21,058,581 times
Bottom line is, people need a place to live. No matter how bad, or good, people still buy and sell homes. There most certainly will be a crash. It’s inevitable. And some will lose, and some will make out like bandits. Historically the market is cyclical, ups & downs, bottom outs, and like up until recently, historical highs. It’s all about timing. There is no crystal ball.
There will be another 2008, as there will be another 2021.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Bottom line is, people need a place to live. No matter how bad, or good, people still buy and sell homes. There most certainly will be a crash. It’s inevitable. And some will lose, and some will make out like bandits. Historically the market is cyclical, ups & downs, bottom outs, and like up until recently, historical highs. It’s all about timing. There is no crystal ball.
There will be another 2008, as there will be another 2021.
There’s only been 4 housing market crashes since 1800.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:43 AM

20,305 posts, read 21,058,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
There’s only been 4 housing market crashes since 1800.
So it’s absolute that we wont have another for another 100 years or whatever?

Old 05-20-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So it’s absolute that we wont have another for another 100 years or whatever?
NOTHING is absolute in investing. Maybe US treasuries or CDs with low returns are as close as you can get. I can say absolutely that people predicting housing crashes have no idea what they’re talking about. They seem to think crashes like 2007 happen every decade or anytime prices rise too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate