Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times

Advertisements

Several years ago I started a thread. It was a journal of sorts, which contained my experiences of moving here, I asked a ton of questions about the small city / town of Punta Gorda. I received many great answers about the area on many topics that are still relevant: about moving, restaurants in the area, cultural opportunities, schools, festivals, work, retirement, insurance issues, housing opportunities, lifestyle choices, fishing, biking, and other experiences I had. The help I got was fair and balanced.

This tread is intended to aid and stimulate questions and help those who may have similar or new questions so many of us who have been posting here regularly for years can help pay the help we got forward.

For those who are interested, I wrote a short summary of my experience which if requested I will forward to you. Just DM me.

For those who want to see those topics discussed, it should stimulate new questions you have, you may consider DMing the moderator to see if they will open the thread so you can read the information that many contributed to.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 01-08-2015 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Making the thread more inclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,432 times
that was a great thread and i spent hours & hours reading it.

very valuable contributions by many. thank you to those who participated, it helped us better understand the area.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 36,123 times

Nm

Old 10-08-2014, 11:52 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Several years ago I started a thread. It was a journal of sorts, which contained my experiences of moving here, I asked a ton of questions about the small city / town of Punta Gorda. I received many great answers about the area on many topics that are still relevant: about moving, restaurants in the area, cultural opportunities, schools, festivals, work, retirement, insurance issues, housing opportunities, lifestyle choices, fishing, biking, and other experiences I had. The help I got was fair and balanced.

This tread is intended to aid and stimulate questions and help those who may have similar or new questions so many of us who have been posting here regularly for years can help pay the help we got forward.

For those who are interested, I wrote a short summary of my experience which if requested I will forward to you. Just DM me.

For those who want to see those topics discussed, it should stimulate new questions you have, you may consider DMing the moderator to see if they will open the thread so you can read the information that many contributed to.

Good Luck!!
Why don't you post the short summary, Big House. I am sure many people would enjoy reading it.

Thx,

NPG

Old 10-08-2014, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the Thread!

First, I want to thank everyone for all their help in making this thread a great one, and a great place to learn about Punta Gorda. I ask that everyone who helped me learn about the area, add to this thread to make it a great resource for "Anyone" who wants to learn about "Punta Gorda", a great small city / town where I found my home.

So add to these subjects and feel free to supplement them, and add others so we get a conversation going about what makes Punta Gorda one of the BEST COMMUNITIES in the country, to live, retire, and thrive.

So here are some subjects that I asked about, and many have helped me with. I will elaborate on each of these over the next few postings I make.

Moving here, what to know...
Retirement....
Things to do....
Schools....
Communities here, what they offer...
Fishing...
Shopping...
Culture...
Community Center and Civic Association...
Friendships, and Meet-ups...
Work opportunities...
Airline Serving the Area...
Travel Distances...
Insurance Questions (Home Insurance and Flood Insurance)....
Flooding, flood zone, and building certification elevations...
Shopping...
Groceries...
Restaurants, bars, and nightlife...
Affordability...
Recommendations of Professionals and Services...
Building Questions (I built thousands of homes, communities, and schools)...
Chinese Drywall - concerns, and long term issues...
Meet-ups, friends made and experiences....
Festivals...
The Block Party...
The Florida International Air Show...
Bicycles, and Motorcycles...
Boating and Fishing...
Changes coming...
History and Hurricane Charley...
and Crime....

Come and join in... Many people have asked me 100s of questions and asked for me to provide the link to my old thread, because the previous thread perked their interest. I have a summary of the old thread which I can email you if requested, but this thread should help a lot. Old posters come forth and provide some of the expert information about the area I know you have....

Old 10-08-2014, 03:05 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
What a great thread to start BH and North Pinellas Guy!

I was born and raised in SW Florida and have lived in nearly every county and city up and down the coast from Bradenton to Punta Gorda- Port Charlotte, Englewood, Venice, Little Gasparilla Island and now currently Palm Island. I was here for Hurricane Charley and saw the town ripped apart and rebuilt. It has come back stronger than ever. I have attended many of the school and the area and now my children are attending the same schools.

Punta Gorda is a historic fishing village community on Charlotte Harbor in Southwest Florida. Punta Gorda features one of the largest natural harbors in the United States and is centrally located between Sarasota to the north and Fort Myers to the south.

Punta Gorda is the county seat for Charlotte County and is home to approximately 17,000 people, including young families, singles and seniors.

With 130 miles of water, natural preserve Charlotte Harbor is popular with boaters and fishermen, and leads out into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. In fact, Punta Gorda is situated on the Peace River and is ranked one of the Money Magazine best places to live in America. The picturesque waterfront area includes many public waterfront parks where year-round events take place. Fishermen’s Village, a complete marina, is right next to downtown, and a new public boat ramp and fishing pier are on the waterfront. Punta Gorda is also a favorite of golfers with its beautiful courses, each offering challenging greens, sand traps and water.

The city is convenient to Charlotte County Airport, Southwest Florida International Airport, and Naples Municipal Airport. This ‘Main Street’ designated community has much to offer tourists and residents. Visit the historic A.C. Freeman House built in 1903, and browse its quaint museum, take a downtown gallery walk, or head to the Babcock Wilderness to commune with nature. Take a Trolley Tour with a local historian, or visit the Peace River Wildlife Center, Ponce de Leon Historical Park or Florida Adventure Museum. Fisherman’s Village is a new waterfront shopping complex with boutiques, dining and entertainment. It has also a 98 slip marina and boat, jet ski and bicycle rentals. Catch a sightseeing boat here and venture out to Cabbage Key or do some sport fishing.

There is so much to do in this great city. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do. Charlotte county is a great place to grow up, it's a great place to raise a family and I hope to retire here!

Old 10-08-2014, 04:50 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Ok since no one else is going to chime in. I'll just keep on rambling on here....

Moving on to Nightlife. I really like Deans South of the Boarder and TT's Tiki Bar, which is right on the water (and right across the street from Dean's). There's a band called Zombie University that plays over at Dean's that I think is really good. They are actually playing on Halloween this year. They get the crowd rockin and are definitely worth checking out. It a pretty casual place with outdoor seating and a fire pit (like it gets that cold LOL) in the winter. If you're looking for a good Irish brew and music stop in at The Celtic Ray.

Now for dining, if you're looking for fine dining/romantic, go check out Trabue on W Marion. Their outside patio seating in the back is very quaint and on the weekends, in the winter, they have great bands that come play. The Perfect Caper and Opus on Marion Ave are two other great local fine dining spots.

The Wyvern Roof Top Bar on Retta Esplanade is a great place to watch the sunset. You can get a full view of the harbor from the roof top. Harpoon Harry's is a good place to shoot some pool or bring the kids to play some foosball. IMO, the food there is just average. Jimmy's Taco's would be another good place to bring the kids. They have inside dining as well as an outside bar area for eating as well.

I highly recommend taking one of the Kingfisher Fleet's cruises. If you've never seen dolphins up close then I recommend the "Afternoon Harbor Tour". Every time I've gone there were playful dolphins frolicking in the wake. They usually stop the boat and the dolphins come right up beside to boat for photos. If you have a full day to spare then I recommend taking the "Cabbage Key Cruise". Cabbage Key is where Jimmy Buffett wrote his famous
Cheese Burger In Paradise song. It's a very small island which can only be reached by boat. You can stroll the beach for the day without the crowds and then grab lunch at the restaurant lined with dollar bills stapled to the walls.

As stated in my previous post, there's a lot going on in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. January brings the Chili Challenge & Beer Festival. Note, If you're looking for Big House that weekend, that's where he'll be located. In mid January you have the 18th Annual Sullivan Street Craft Festival. Nearly every month in the winter there is some kind of Arts & Crafts Festival in the downtown area. There's the Wine & Jazz Festival that happens in mid February each year. March is a very busy month in this town. It's buzzing with activity and the weather is delightful! In March there's the Ponce de Leon Fest in the park, as well as The Old Florida Seafood Fest in Laishley Park. The Peace River Celtic Fest is on Marion St and the beginning of March also. The end of March brings the Florida International Air Show with exciting and death-defying stunts performed by some of the best pilots in the business. Enjoy expanded aircraft exhibits, displays, a kids' area, and refreshments. It's one of the best Air Shows in the country. In April there's The Punta Gorda Block Party. This festival brings in one big headline act, and several other local bands. There's also plenty of crafts, beer, children's activities and fun. This event started in 1987 and I've been going since it's inception. In mid April you also have The Dragon Boat Festival. Mid May brings The Hibiscus Fest to Gilchrist Park. The Key Lime Fest is another festival that falls in May. There's everything Key Lime-drinks, pies, foods, candies, etc. For the 4th of July, there's the 4th Fest at Laishley Park. The fireworks display can been seen over the harbor and throughout the town. In the afternoon nearly the whole town gets together to swim Charlotte Harbor. It's called The Freedom Swim and people show up with tubes, rafts, kayaks, noodles or just on their own. Michael Haymans, a local attorney, started this tradition back in the early 80's. When it was started they were REALLY free and swam the harbor in the buff (shhhh some people still do. I remember when it first started). I usually swim the entire harbor, with my kids and no type of flotation device. There are Marine Patrol and others if anyone needs assistance along the way. The end of July is the Punta Gorda Pirate Fest. You can watch the pirate boat parade, hear cannons thunder, visit a pirate encampment, browse the vendors, grab a cold beer, see Blackbeard’s Pirate Ship and even meet a live mermaid. In mid August you have the Fisherman's Village Music Fest. For the fishermen in the family, there's the Flatsmasters Tournament, which is usually held the first week of October. Flatsmasters usually sponsors some type of event nearly every month in the PG area. In October you have Haunting on the Harbor and the entire downtown Punta Gorda gets in the mood and all of the historical homes to theme with spooky goblins and ghost in every window. The town has a huge haunted house and trick or treaters come from all over to attend. It's really a fun time. In mid December be sure to check out The Lighted Boat Parade which winds through the canals of Punta Gorda.

If you're into animal conservation then check out The Octagon Wildlife Sanctuary or Babcock Wilderness Adventures. Both worthwhile visits.

The Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce and the Historical Society both reside inside what is the most historic residence in town, the A.C. Freeman House, also known as the Gilchrist House. Stop in and pick up more info on the town.

The Punta Gorda Farmer's Market on Taylor St is a great place to pick up fresh fruits and veggies. If you fancy old cars, check out Muscle Car City in south Punta Gorda. The Charlotte County Event & Conference Center always has something going on-from RV shows to gun shows to The Marine Corp Ball.

Gilchrist Park in Punta Gorda is a great place to bring the family. It has sidewalks for walking, jogging or biking, there's a pier you can fish off. Many weddings are held in the gazebo due it's picturesque surroundings. It also has tennis courts and a wonderful playground right on the water. The year round breezes are wonderful! Be sure to bring a picnic lunch and camp out under a shady banyan tree.

So get out and have some fun in the sun! Go try out some of my favorite things to do in Charlotte county!! Let me know what you did and how it was!

Old 10-08-2014, 04:50 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,962,483 times
Great to see this thread is now a sticky. We read this thread while we were living in Germany, and it set us on the path to our new home in Punta Gorda. The only problem with your list BH, is you only included fishing once ;-))

Old 10-08-2014, 04:55 PM

For those of you that don't know, if you go to Gilchrist Park, near the community building, (there are several palm trees in front), those palm trees are home to a whole flock of green parrots. They have numerous nests there, and squawk at you if you stand under them. Sometimes on a calm day, I've had a couple of them follow me around the park.

Gilchrist is a great place to bring the kids (they have great play grounds there). Or, grab a sandwich and go there for a picnic at lunch time. I get my sandwiches at the Convenience store and eat at the pavilions.

Every Thursday evening, they have free concerts there, and many people from around the community bring lawn chairs and hang out, and listen.

On holidays it is a great place to sit along the water's edge and watch fireworks. I remember a young family who once brought a bunch of glow stick necklaces and they handed them out to all the other kids who came to watch the fireworks.

There is an extra wide walk all along the waters edge to walk, or ride bikes.

Plus there is a Ponce De Leon statue, memorizing when he stopped here. By the way he was shot by an arrow from the Calusa Indians, and travelled to Cuba, where the injury took his life. There are many generations here from the Conquistadors that settled here, and they walk in the parades here each year.

Also, if you walk along the park, you will find a sign commemorating the spot where the southern most railroad ended here in Punta Gorda.

It is a great place to live, lots of interesting things to learn - I hope to fill you in more. In the meantime, SoFLGal, who really helped me learn a lot about the area just posted some interesting stuff. She has lived in the area her whole life, and I am sure, she can teach you far more than I can - but I'm gonna post fun / interesting stuff here for the benefit of anyone who wants to learn more.

AND, don't be afraid to post and ask questions - that is what this thread is for!!

Old 10-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Great to see this thread is now a sticky. We read this thread while we were living in Germany, and it set us on the path to our new home in Punta Gorda. The only problem with your list BH, is you only included fishing once ;-))
Well, .... I don't want to steal his thunder, even though I out fished him during our tournament. ;-) He actually has a great thread going on that subject and its great. But, since it is a national pastime here, it deserves my spin. ;-)

While we are on the subject, Charlotte harbor is one of the best fresh water / salt water estuaries in the country, and holds a huge variety of fish species that include; grouper, snook, redfish, mackerel, sharks, sea trout, sand trout, lady fish, sheep head, cobia, and Tarpon - all of which i have had great success (except the best fish of all - the Tarpon!) I have hooked several Tarpon, and failed to leader them (get them to the boat where I can grab the leader and release them). They always break off. ;-(

Fishing here has a couple of season, summer and winter (LOL), and during the two seasons the target species changes and the methods do as well.

Boats are a whole different subject and when we cover them - you will learn that you need 3 different boat types to get everything out of the boating / fishing experience here.

The best place by far without a doubt to get bait, rods / reels / tackle, and a fishing lesson is Fishing Franks, its is on RT 41, on the Port Charlotte side of the bridge.

Now I know, if I start giving fishing lessons here - my friend MA will have a fit, so I'll post those on his board, when he's not looking (cuz I don't want him to learn to out fish me). Haaa haaa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte