Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 AM

10 posts, read 31,982 times

Advertisements

So I visited PDX to look at apartments a few weeks ago and noticed a relatively large number (compared to other asian eateries) in the area. Beaverton, downtown foodcarts, Pok Pok (which was excellent, by the way). I had it twice out there, since I like Thai food. My question is, are there a lot of Thai folks out there or is Thai food just a big trend right now? Or both?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 AM

157 posts, read 523,726 times
Trendy. There isn't a large Thai population in Portland. Sushi is popular but a lot of owners are Chinese or Koreans and it's Mexicans preparing the food.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,130,336 times
no. it's for the hipsters.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 AM

682 posts, read 2,424,939 times
Yes and no. There is definitely a significant SE Asian presence, largely in Beaverton and surrounding areas. I'd say I've run into more Vietnamese, Laotian, and Cambodian immigrants than Thai.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM

20 posts, read 68,207 times
There's 9 Thai restaurants within a 10 minute walk from my house! Thanh Thao is my favorite, though word is it's not "authentic". I dunno. It's yummy.

I drove by an newly empty storefront in my neighborhood with my wife awhile back. She wondered what it was going to be. I said, "A Thai restaurant". I was joking, but I was right! lol

Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,844,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
Yes and no. There is definitely a significant SE Asian presence, largely in Beaverton and surrounding areas. I'd say I've run into more Vietnamese, Laotian, and Cambodian immigrants than Thai.
I worked for Tektronix, and the HR dept was always very proud of the "diversity" in the company - but like most high-tech companies that had a manufacturing line (which tells you how long ago THAT was), the "diversity" was mostly white men in engineering and management and mostly Asian women on the assembly lines. One manager liked to praise tiny women with tiny deft hands and a 12 hour a day work ethic (until HR made him shut up about it).

There is a fairly large SE Asian contingent, spread across the region. Funny thing is that I've been to several Thai and Vietnamese restaurants run by people who used to work at the various tech companies. According to a Thai friend of mine, a lot of the Thai and Chinese restaurants are run by Vietnamese.

As far as "ethnic" SE Asian areas of town, there is a fairly large community of stores/markets/restaurants in Beaverton and along Sandy Blvd and 82nd Street in Portland.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM

10 posts, read 31,982 times
Ok, thanks everyone. That clears up a lot for me. I love Thai food and coming from some of the best places in SoCal, I was impressed with the Thai food up there.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,100 times
Cool Thai Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWonderland View Post
There's 9 Thai restaurants within a 10 minute walk from my house! Thanh Thao is my favorite, though word is it's not "authentic". I dunno. It's yummy.

I drove by an newly empty storefront in my neighborhood with my wife awhile back. She wondered what it was going to be. I said, "A Thai restaurant". I was joking, but I was right! lol

Hi, I am a Portland native, lived from Gresham to Tigard, but mostly in the Hollywood district, now a retired Multnomah County Deputy Sheriff living on Phuket Island, Thailand. There are a lot of yummy Thai and Vietnamese restaurants in the Portland area. Look between 50th and 70th on NE Sandy Blvd.
I am glad to say, the Thai food I have had in Portland is not Authentic, ( I have spent 15 months of the last 2 years in Thailand, have traveled extensively and have a lovely Thai lady significant other) I really like Portland Thai food, I don't care for most of the authenic things here. Often she makes what she likes, I make some American tuna sandwiches. There are some good things, but much of it is just weird tasting, extremely spicy, and for me uneatable. At times I suffer through most of the night, unable to sleep for being to adventurous. Fried rice and mild curry fried crab is usually safe. When I return home in spring I will go get some good American Thai and Viet food. Hah!!
Jon

Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,100 times
Default Thai in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersball32 View Post
So I visited PDX to look at apartments a few weeks ago and noticed a relatively large number (compared to other asian eateries) in the area. Beaverton, downtown foodcarts, Pok Pok (which was excellent, by the way). I had it twice out there, since I like Thai food. My question is, are there a lot of Thai folks out there or is Thai food just a big trend right now? Or both?
I am retired in Thailand after living my life in the Portland area. There has been a very big Vietnamese community in Portland for decades now, but relitively few Thais. But both Vietnamese and Thai restaurants have been flurishing for a long time, well over 20 years.. Portland Thai food is very different than authentic. I have been in Thai 15 of the last 24 months, have a Thai significant other, I don't like most the food here. I do like the American version very much.

Jon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland