Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2022, 12:35 PM

23 posts, read 30,008 times

Advertisements

I know this is a slightly loaded question and probably asked to death, but curious on the opinions here. Especially in the Southern Maine area.

Not looking in Portland specifically but small towns within about a 45 minute radius outside of Portland, West and South.

We are first time home buyers. Looking for an older house in decent condition.

Struggling whether it's a better idea to buy within the next 3-4 months or wait until next fall/winter.
OK with refinancing in the future, just not sure what to think about overall home prices now vs. the the next year or so.

Curious of what the thoughts are here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 03:19 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I think it is a crap shoot right now.

With inflation, the US dollar could lose more value over the next year, which would drive prices up.

Or prices could continue to go up on their own.

Or both.

Your crystal ball is as good as anyone else' crystal ball.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:12 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowanchor View Post
I know this is a slightly loaded question and probably asked to death, but curious on the opinions here. Especially in the Southern Maine area.

Not looking in Portland specifically but small towns within about a 45 minute radius outside of Portland, West and South.

We are first time home buyers. Looking for an older house in decent condition.

Struggling whether it's a better idea to buy within the next 3-4 months or wait until next fall/winter.
OK with refinancing in the future, just not sure what to think about overall home prices now vs. the the next year or so.

Curious of what the thoughts are here.

Thanks!
It's a tough call. Prices are stable in this market as there are still more buyers than sellers, which we've had pre-pandemic and throughout it. Many with 2-4% interest rates aren't excited about trading up to 6.5% or higher on a new home and are holding fast. Our biggest issue is lack of homes to purchase and I don't see that changing with low unemployment and record high home equity. Incomes have not kept up with the jump in home prices over the past few years, which is squeezing the first time buyer. As you mentioned, many are going to 7 year adjustable rates, thinking they'll sell before then or refinance if/when rates are lower. One major lender is offering to waive closing costs within the first 2 years if a buyer refinances with them.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have a relative renting in Hillsboro that has wanted to buy for a couple of years, hoping for prices to drop. Now that they have, interest rates are up. As I told him, they key is to jump in when those to factors moderate. No one can predict the future, but if interest rates get low again, even 2%, buy before the resulting increase in prices. I don't think we have seen the bottom of the market yet, but it's winter, and as sales pick up in spring so may prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: