Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2022, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,218 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to the area for a job in Scarborough. I understand that rentals are hard to come by. I've been using the resources at my fingertips- Craigslist, Zillow, Rent.com, etc. As I go through this process, I have a few questions.

Are there any local real estate companies that deal with rentals? I'm also looking at seasonal rentals that would be through May or June, with the intent to explore the area until then and have more time to search and find the right place long-term.

Are there neighborhoods or areas of Portland that are less safe than others? I am finding some rentals in Portland, but know virtually nothing about the city.

Some background- I am moving from northern New Jersey, but I'm from New England and spend time in northern Maine every year... I'm just not too familiar with this particular area (I have family in other areas of the state.)

I'm finding that Scarborough itself does not have much, if anything, available. I'm currently looking in Biddeford, Saco, Westbrook, Gorham, and Portland. I'm hoping to be within a half-hour of Scarborough; am I missing an obvious area? Also looking in Old Orchard Beach with the seasonal idea.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 03:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Kennebunk is a pleasant town about a half-hr south of Scarborough and you could also look in South Portland. We have a realtor on the Maine forum who lives near Portland as I recall.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Kennebunk is a pleasant town about a half-hr south of Scarborough and you could also look in South Portland. We have a realtor on the Maine forum who lives near Portland as I recall.

Thank you! I wasn't sure if Kennebunk was just a little too far- my experience with southern Maine traffic has mostly been around holidays and summer weekends, so I don't know how it compares to the traffic I encounter daily in NJ (I suspect it's less.) Are estimated driving times fairly accurate? Are there many people commuting on 95?

And thank you for the South Portland recommendation. I've see several rentals listed there and will look more closely at them.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanne323 View Post
Thank you! I wasn't sure if Kennebunk was just a little too far- my experience with southern Maine traffic has mostly been around holidays and summer weekends, so I don't know how it compares to the traffic I encounter daily in NJ (I suspect it's less.) Are estimated driving times fairly accurate? Are there many people commuting on 95?

And thank you for the South Portland recommendation. I've see several rentals listed there and will look more closely at them.
Yes, you can get some traffic on I-95 in Maine on summer weekends, but in my experience, with the exception of around the toll booths (like around York), you rarely get any significant slowdowns where you're creeping along in dense traffic for miles. There aren't any tolls on I-95 between Kennebunk and Scarborough.

NJ I-95 is definitely worse - I take that all the time when I visit my Dad down in South Jersey. Even 6 lanes each way isn't enough at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area