Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2022, 02:29 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,689,627 times

Advertisements

I have plans to venture up to Maine in late May. Main goal honestly is just to drive up and stay the night around Portland. I want to visit every state and this is the best chance I have.

I picked Portland because it's not to far up.

I love beautiful sights to take pictures of. I won't have time to do anything like museums or anything like that but would love to just get a feel of the town.

I will have my bicycle with me so I would be able to park somewhere and ride around places if it makes sense.

I can go further than Portland just don't really want to plan to unless it's something worth seeing.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 04:54 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,327 times
Just walking around the Old Port, Congress, and Commercial Streets will give you plenty to look at. Biking can be difficult if you aren't a well skilled city rider. And if you do ride your bike, bring a bomber lock for it. Bike theft is high here.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Just walking around the Old Port, Congress, and Commercial Streets will give you plenty to look at. Biking can be difficult if you aren't a well skilled city rider. And if you do ride your bike, bring a bomber lock for it. Bike theft is high here.
Thank you! This helps a lot. Do you know of any parking garages in that area? I know I can look but would rather ask here just to make sure I'm not looking at something that isn't public.

I probably won't ride my bike as that area looks good for just walking around.

Old 02-23-2022, 03:33 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
Don't miss this gorgeous site, complete with quintessential Maine lighthouse. Just minutes from downtown. Iconic for a reason.
https://portlandheadlight.com/about-us

Old 02-24-2022, 04:49 AM

12,380 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Don't miss this gorgeous site, complete with quintessential Maine lighthouse. Just minutes from downtown. Iconic for a reason.
Portland Light is beautiful - said to be one of the most photographed in the US - I accidentally got locked in on the grounds taking photos at dusk there myself! ;-) Also very nice and just 15 minutes further south along the coast, are Two Lights State Park, Kettle Cove State Park, and Crescent Beach State Park - all three parks are within a few miles of one another.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-24-2022 at 05:16 AM..

Old 02-24-2022, 05:09 AM

12,380 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I second this - if you were to pick one area in the city, the highlight is the Old Port section and the Commercial Street waterfront. Lots of beautiful old-timey buildings, cool shops and great places to get a drink or something to eat, and a very walkable area.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
This is perfect to check out while I'm leaving. I was planning on taking the coast down to Boston and this looks like it's on the way there.

Thanks for posting this I'm putting this on my list. Looks like it's free too (small donation is cool) which helps my budget.

Is there anything worth checking out along the coast after leaving this? Looks like there is some old "battery" buildings from war times past it?

Old 02-24-2022, 09:20 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
This is perfect to check out while I'm leaving. I was planning on taking the coast down to Boston and this looks like it's on the way there.

Thanks for posting this I'm putting this on my list. Looks like it's free too (small donation is cool) which helps my budget.

Is there anything worth checking out along the coast after leaving this? Looks like there is some old "battery" buildings from war times past it?
Head south over the Casco Bay bridge when leaving Portland. Stop by Bug Light to see your first lighthouse. From there head over to Southern Maine Community College and park out back to see Spring Point Lighthouse and some old fort remnants. Find Cottage Road to get to Fort Williams. This is where Portland Headlight is located. Continue south down Route 77 to Two Lights. Skip the state park, but drive to the end of the road to see the actual lighthouse and some cool rocks. From here it is a quick jump over to Kettle Cove.

Taking Route 1 along the coast will give you mixed results. Some spots are near the water with nice views, and others are just commerce with traffic. That said, Route 1 through NH is much shorter, and the views around Rye are really great.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:41 PM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
The lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth. The entire coast is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area