Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2021, 08:14 AM

140 posts, read 166,583 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here know of any ponds or rivers on which there's skating in winter in Southern or Mid-Coast Maine or adjoining areas? I'm talking about natural water bodies and not artificial outdoor rinks. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 08:51 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
This mentions a few that are ponds but many are manmade; sounds like all are outdoor. https://thesunriseguide.com/outdoor-ice-skating/

Rangeley is a long way to go but it has a winter rink on Haley Pond. And Round Pond up on Rt 4 north of Lewiston has ice fishing but I am not sure if they skate there too.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
From the Pen Bay Pilot online: "Where to go ice skating in the Midcoast"
https://www.penbaypilot.com/article/...idcoast/112029

Old 11-19-2021, 06:34 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Here is another list.... it has a lot of artificial rinks but also lists some 'ponds', some of which may be natural. Example: Johnson Pond at Colby College, Waterville, is a real pond.... not sure if it is a manmade pond or natrual.

https://untamedmainer.com/maine-ice-...g-rinks-ponds/

Let us know what you find! Been a looong time since I skated on a natural pond (in VA, believe it or not).

Last edited by nm9stheham; 11-19-2021 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-23-2021, 06:06 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Just my 2 cents' worth... last time I skated on a really large real pond, it was very bumpy. I surmise that the wind must have been blowing (creating ripples and waves) while the water was freezing. On the other hand, a small ice covered frog pond made for excellent skating.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:19 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Default Slush on Lakes

We are having an unusual winter. Ice thickness is thin. Now we have heavy snow. The weight of the snow can crack the ice below. Then water flows through the crack and is absorbed by snow. We call this "wetting up".

If you are snowmobiling and you see grey snow, that is slush. Don't ride on slush. If it's too late to stop gun it and ride straight across onto white snow and get away from that area. Streams running into lakes cause thin ice. Know the ponds around your area. Follow other people's snowmobile tracks. They are also good places to cross country ski.

Going through ice is a life threatening situation. even if you get away from the hole, you are in big trouble in a soggy snowmobile suit. You will be losing body heat far faster than you can produce it. Head for a camp with a light on or a public road. If you can't get into a building or vehicle soon, you will die.

OK, you get bo safe place and get out of your wet clothes, get warm and get dressed. Your problems are not over. YOU are responsible for getting the snowmobile out of the lake. You have 72 hours to get it out. Lots of snowmobile clubs have experts at doing this. There are inexpensive underwater cameras. that can be used.

There are also commercial experts who remove cars, snowmobiles and skitters from lake. It is not cheap, but it is your responsibility to get it done.

Old 01-25-2023, 01:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
About 20 years ago, a camp owner arrived at his camp on the lake. The door had 9 panes of glass. The one over the door knob had cardboard covering the opening. The owner was disappointed. He had never had a problem. There was a tan paper bag on the table.

"Mister, I'm sorry I had to break in. I fell through the ice when trapping and if I didn't' break in I would have died. Here is $20 for your window pane and the 2 cans of soup I heated and ate. Took a while to dry my clothes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area