Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 03:05 PM

17,676 posts, read 13,461,493 times

Advertisements

https://www.thefp.com/p/matti-friedman-why-i-got-a-gun
Quote:
My Glock is an ugly little monument to the historic threat facing my family, my neighbors, and all of Israel.

But Israelis have no legal right to bear arms, no fear of government tyranny in the American tradition, and a fraction of the crime fears that Americans accept as normal. (In an ordinary year, Jerusalem, a city of nearly one million residents, tends to see about a dozen violent deaths; in Indianapolis, a slightly smaller city, the homicide number tends to be over 200.)

For the average Israeli, guns are simply a tool for protection against the Arab violence that has shaped this society over the last century. Like the army, they’re a necessary evil. Most of the armed people you’ll see in an Israeli city are soldiers or police. In the United States, according to a Pew study last year, 32 percent of citizens own guns. In Israel, it was under 2 percent.

That was before October 7.
October 7th is a reminder as to why we have the 2nd Amendment in the US. Not that hordes of savages will stream across the border to kill, rape and plunder. But, our right to carry is for protection in our everyday lives

It's sad that it took Oct 7th to open the door for Israelis to carry for their protection

BTW, Matti's buying a Glock is an excellent choice. MrsM and I own several
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:34 PM
Status: "I Choose Freedom Over Democracy!" (set 20 days ago)

1,373 posts, read 687,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.thefp.com/p/matti-friedman-why-i-got-a-gunOctober 7th is a reminder as to why we have the 2nd Amendment in the US. Not that hordes of savages will stream across the border to kill, rape and plunder. But, our right to carry is for protection in our everyday lives

It's sad that it took Oct 7th to open the door for Israelis to carry for their protection

Laken's parents might disagree..

Old Today, 03:49 PM
Status: "Wasting time in the internet. Just like you." (set 2 days ago)

1,257 posts, read 636,809 times
Quote:
https://www.thefp.com/p/matti-friedman-why-i-got-a-gunOctober 7th is a reminder as to why we have the 2nd Amendment in the US. Not that hordes of savages will stream across the border to kill, rape and plunder. But, our right to carry is for protection in our everyday lives

That was a great read, I went through it twice to make sure I caught it all. Thanks for sharing.

I found it especially interesting having lived in a Tel Aviv suburb for over 3 years myself, getting to know some Israelis somewhat well. Jerusalem is a different place with different attitudes, but Israelis have trends that seem to be sort of universal.
Personal firearms did not come up often in my conversations with friends/locals, but when they did their attitudes sort of reflected what was in the article. "I rely upon others for my personal defense and safety".

The author didnt mention why he chose a small Glock 9mm, if he planned to carry it concealed. If he only wanted it for home defense, a larger higher capacity model would likely be better.

I couldnt fathom being restricted to only buying 100 bullets a year, and having to account for them when you get more. That doesnt make sense to me at all.

Old Today, 04:37 PM

24,626 posts, read 17,362,758 times
Quote:
October 7th is a reminder as to why we have the 2nd Amendment in the US. Not that hordes of savages will stream across the border to kill, rape and plunder. But, our right to carry is for protection in our everyday lives

I don't know, we have our own homegrown factions that are prone to extreme violence. BLM, antifa and other such fascist Fools are a constant danger when they get mobilized to protest some perceived slight. We also now have students that are Pro Terrorist.

Imagine seeing any mobs of these Bozos marching through your neighborhood knowing that they are capable of so much destruction and knowing that they have the Lefty Politicians on their side to encourage, embolden and cover for them. I'm sure that even a gun hater would feel safer with one in their hand if the mob came knocking at their door.

I don't know what a 10 shot Glock will do against a full auto military grade machine gun like that which was used on innocent people on 10/7 but it's better than nothing.

Old Today, 04:48 PM
Status: "Wasting time in the internet. Just like you." (set 2 days ago)

1,257 posts, read 636,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't know, we have our own homegrown factions that are prone to extreme violence. BLM, antifa and other such fascist Fools are a constant danger when they get mobilized to protest some perceived slight. We also now have students that are Pro Terrorist.

Imagine seeing any mobs of these Bozos marching through your neighborhood knowing that they are capable of so much destruction and knowing that they have the Lefty Politicians on their side to encourage, embolden and cover for them. I'm sure that even a gun hater would feel safer with one in their hand if the mob came knocking at their door.

I don't know what a 10 shot Glock will do against a full auto military grade machine gun like that which was used on innocent people on 10/7 but it's better than nothing.
Per the bolded, if every citizen only has a 10 shot Glock (and knows how to use it properly), vice none, then the invading army (or oppressive domestic govt) has a much harder time invading (or oppressing). Those that are familiar with common firearms, and more importantly, tactics and use, already know this.

Would have Hamas have been so eager to invade Israel if they had known there would have been "a rifle (or Glock 43) behind every blade of grass"?

It's idiots like the Potatus in chief that make dumb comparisons to needing an F-15 and such.

Old Today, 05:00 PM

27,722 posts, read 16,223,264 times
We already live amongst the "hordes of savages". Its why our violent crime is so much higher.

Old Today, 05:04 PM

7,599 posts, read 3,968,393 times
Glocks are the Honda Civic of guns. Inexpensive and dependable. Good choice. Personally, you'll have to pry my USP 45 from my dead hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies