Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:28 AM

9,974 posts, read 4,723,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Eh, this story feels a bit like Breitbart chumming the waters for clicks.

Don't people that are arrested normally get public defenders?
Breitbart cited their source The Daily Bruin a paper from UCLA. Many would already qualify for a public defender. Also sponsored protests for an organization that organization will offer free lawyers for civil disobedience related offenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:34 AM

52,885 posts, read 34,736,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
lol… the very last sentence of the Breitbart article…

So Breitbart knows, just trolling for clicks.
do they, or you, know the reason for this?

Quote:
There was no motion passed to support the legal defense of pro-Israel vigilantes, though police have prioritized investigations into those who participated.

Old Today, 09:35 AM

6,431 posts, read 2,745,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Eh, this story feels a bit like Breitbart chumming the waters for clicks.

Don't people that are arrested normally get public defenders?
Yes, but it doesn't take a Resolution to provide the Public Defenders. But if you read the article the resolution was for the PD Office to specifically dedicate resources. Now take that as you want as it is just regular duties or they are looking to give them additional resources. I'd have to see how that plays out. But the fact that this was a Resolution, I'd say that they were looking for additional support.

If anything it seems like the LA County Board is the one "chumming the waters" as you say to make a political statement.

Old Today, 09:43 AM

2,416 posts, read 4,472,932 times
Two points:

So, students attending the university are all indigent? Unlikely.

And, no one has answered the original question. Yes, indigent people already get a Public Defender. So there is absolutely no reason to pass a motion for this. Why then? As one of those empty gestures so they can run their re-election on it?

Old Today, 09:47 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,730,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
do they, or you, know the reason for this?
I do not, but I just went through the Agendas of the LACBoS meetings and cannot find any motion that Breitbart names. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place, but I can’t find it. I looked through most of May, including May 7, since UCLA said it happened “Last Tuesday.”

Old Today, 09:55 AM

12,419 posts, read 8,212,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Two points:

So, students attending the university are all indigent? Unlikely.

And, no one has answered the original question. Yes, indigent people already get a Public Defender. So there is absolutely no reason to pass a motion for this. Why then? As one of those empty gestures so they can run their re-election on it?

I wonder if my Google search for exactly what is the criteria for a Public Defender will generate a bunch of lawyer spam?

Old Today, 10:03 AM

78,709 posts, read 60,892,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Then why go through the trouble to pass a resolution specific to this situation?
Grandstanding. They're always putting out stupid resolutions, they put one out in support of Israel as well last year which didn't fit with the tone of the chumming of trying to make them anti-semetic lol.

Old Today, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Yes, but it doesn't take a Resolution to provide the Public Defenders. But if you read the article the resolution was for the PD Office to specifically dedicate resources. Now take that as you want as it is just regular duties or they are looking to give them additional resources. I'd have to see how that plays out. But the fact that this was a Resolution, I'd say that they were looking for additional support.

If anything it seems like the LA County Board is the one "chumming the waters" as you say to make a political statement.
The county board is politicians.

Breitbarts bread and butter is politics.

They're both constantly chumming.

Old Today, 10:08 AM

6,784 posts, read 3,043,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

I wonder if my Google search for exactly what is the criteria for a Public Defender will generate a bunch of lawyer spam?
If this is chum, it is chum for corruption.

Make a motion to sequester free money.

Then all the lawyers have a party over charging and the State doesn't care since it is not their money and can also grab a slice in 'Administration fees'.

Old Today, 10:10 AM

This is nothing new of course, various city councils like Berkley have made such proclamations as to ban nuclear weapons from the city.

Constant pandering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies