Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 04:12 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,701,951 times

Advertisements

well apparently he says Nato started the UKraine/Russia war and also repeated Tucker Carlson talking points about the whole thing..oh boy..what a propaganda tool Putin will make out of him..he ain't going nowhere for a while..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 05:05 PM

5,775 posts, read 11,414,822 times
I am having trouble trying to figure out how this active duty US serviceman got a visa in advance, to enter Russian Federation. Any US citizen needs a whole bunch of documents in order to get that visa including a letter of invitation and filling out a very long form that includes questions about weather or not the applicant is a member of the US Armed Forces or an employee of any US government agency.

True, it is probably easy to buy a plane ticket from S. Korea to Vladivostok and it may even be possible to board the flight without showing the Russian visa stamped in your passport, but even that would surprise me. Every time I have flown to a country that required a special entrance visa, the airline has asked to see my passport with valid visa.

Maybe the Russian government granted the guy a visa just to help lure him into the country with his lady friend as "bait". If he did not have the Russian Federation visa in advance, they never would have let him past the Vladivostok airport immigration check point.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:18 PM

24,742 posts, read 9,538,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You really believe a US Soldier in Russia would be so dumb to actually steal something? I mean, come on.
Well we just had a soldier willingly cross into North Korea to avoid punishment in the US Army, so yeah.

Luckily, he was black and didn’t steal anything, so Kim Jong had no use for detaining him or using him in propaganda films.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:54 AM

6,196 posts, read 3,406,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I am having trouble trying to figure out how this active duty US serviceman got a visa in advance, to enter Russian Federation. Any US citizen needs a whole bunch of documents in order to get that visa including a letter of invitation and filling out a very long form that includes questions about weather or not the applicant is a member of the US Armed Forces or an employee of any US government agency.

True, it is probably easy to buy a plane ticket from S. Korea to Vladivostok and it may even be possible to board the flight without showing the Russian visa stamped in your passport, but even that would surprise me. Every time I have flown to a country that required a special entrance visa, the airline has asked to see my passport with valid visa.

Maybe the Russian government granted the guy a visa just to help lure him into the country with his lady friend as "bait". If he did not have the Russian Federation visa in advance, they never would have let him past the Vladivostok airport immigration check point.
He presented himself to the Russian Embassy in Seoul and got a visa, unbeknownst to his command.

But here are some things that likely happened:

1) The Russians found out very easily he was an active duty US soldier stationed in South Korea. Normally, they would’ve denied him. But they obviously gave this idiot the visa and then set up the operation to grab him on Russian soil, likely faked the theft charges.

2) His girlfriend could’ve been a honey pot from the first meeting, or it could’ve been a normal dating situation and then the Russians forced her hand to play along in the later stages.

What was this guy’s MOS and clearance? If he’s some random box kicker or wrench turner, there is no way they would waste time honey potting a guy like that. If he’s somebody important in a critical MOS with a TS/SCI, that’s a whole other conversation.

My assumption right now is that the guy is dumb, got caught up with a woman, and then the Russians decided to let him enter Russia, so they can grab him and use him as a bargaining chip for something down the road.

Old 05-08-2024, 01:00 AM

6,196 posts, read 3,406,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's more to the story.

While any American can book a flight to Russia, most people are smart enough to not steal while they are there.

Assuming he wasn't authorized to be there, why on earth would he choose to steal?

I was stationed in Korea for a year, anyone on leave/pass from their Korea tour, traveling to another foreign country, was on their best behavior.
I agree that there is very likely much more to the story. He was let into Russia, and the charges could’ve been faked in order to detain him indefinitely and use him for whatever they want. Propaganda or a bargaining chip.

But even though the Russians set him up, he should’ve known better. As an active duty military member, you can’t be taking secret side trips to Russia.

Again, zero sympathy for the dude.

Old 05-08-2024, 01:20 AM

10,017 posts, read 5,722,890 times
Quote:
You really believe a US Soldier in Russia would be so dumb to actually steal something? I mean, come on.
He was dumb enough to go there in the first place, so... who knows?

I wouldn't travel to Russia right now as a regular ol' civilian, never mind as a member of any NATO military force.

Old 05-08-2024, 01:40 AM

30,694 posts, read 18,331,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Did he not learn from Britney Griner that Americans should not be visiting Russia right now?
I agree. This is insane. That said, I say that if the guy actually stole something, he has to face justice just like anyone else.

I'm tracking that he went to Russia without approval either, so regardless of what happens his days in the military are limited.

Old 05-08-2024, 01:41 AM

30,694 posts, read 18,331,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
He was dumb enough to go there in the first place, so... who knows?

I wouldn't travel to Russia right now as a regular ol' civilian, never mind as a member of any NATO military force.
With I could rep you again, but I agree. This doesn't seem like a very bright person we're dealing with. I hold nothing past him based on his decision to voluntarily travel to Russia

Old 05-08-2024, 04:26 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,908,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I agree that there is very likely much more to the story. He was let into Russia, and the charges could’ve been faked in order to detain him indefinitely and use him for whatever they want. Propaganda or a bargaining chip.

But even though the Russians set him up, he should’ve known better. As an active duty military member, you can’t be taking secret side trips to Russia.

Again, zero sympathy for the dude.
My sentiments exactly.

American soldier visits Russia to get laid. Gets caught instead.

Nate Bragantze is right.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:35 AM

19,107 posts, read 27,702,597 times
Quote:
Why not? Human is human, American or not. One dumb American brought drugs in. Another dumb American got drunk or high and decided to dance naked in the Moscow street.
Is being American some sort of vaccine for being dumb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies