Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 03:43 PM

25 posts, read 19,834 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We are thinking about moving to and retiring in one of the islands of Hawaii.
The island of Oahu may be considered first as we are familiar with the island, mainly Honolulu.
If you have any information on other towns such as Pearl City, Mililani, Wahiwa, etc. in Oahu we’d appreciate your input.
If you are aware of state’s income tax status for retirees, it’d be a plus.

Plumeria20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 04:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumeria20 View Post
Hello everyone,

We are thinking about moving to and retiring in one of the islands of Hawaii.
The island of Oahu may be considered first as we are familiar with the island, mainly Honolulu.
If you have any information on other towns such as Pearl City, Mililani, Wahiwa, etc. in Oahu we’d appreciate your input.
If you are aware of state’s income tax status for retirees, it’d be a plus.

Plumeria20
If you have any type of government pension it is state-tax exempt in Hawaii.

Owner-occupied dwellings for full-time residents have a favorable property tax rate.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:35 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Out of the areas you mentioned, I'm personally partial to Mililani. It's cooler (temperature-wise) than many other parts of the area, and pretty residential with a good amount of relatively new housing stock. That said, my ultimate preference is to live in town, which is where I currently live.

I've also lived in Pearl City. As long as you're in upper Pearl City (as opposed to closer to Kamehameha Highway, which is a bit rough, even though it's closer to shopping), I wouldn't recommend against Pearl City, though it certainly not in my list of top ten places to live on island.

As for Wahiawa, I used to work up there. It is not a place where I'd recommend living. In my view, too many old buildings/properties in Wahiawa. There is some pretty decent grub in Wahiawa believe it or not, but that still doesn't make up for everything else.

I can recommend many places to live, but a lot will come down to your budget. Without a solid picture of how much you're working with, it's hard to say whether any neighborhood recommendations are realistic/whether we're wasting time, etc.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
If you have any type of government pension it is state-tax exempt in Hawaii.

Owner-occupied dwellings for full-time residents have a favorable property tax rate.
Hello Futuremauian,

No government/public pension, unfortunately.
I wish the state wouldn’t tax pension from work.
We’d definitely have to sell our little condo in sCal to even consider buying a place in the islands.

I see that you are in Lahaina. We’ve enjoyed visiting Maui though we were hit by flash flood on the way back to hotel from Hana road. Never experienced flash flood before, and the driver side mirror was completely ripped out, cleanly cut away from the car. The car would’ve taken a dive at the dark Hana road if we were 15 minutes behind.

Thanks for your response.

Plumeria20

Old 02-27-2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Out of the areas you mentioned, I'm personally partial to Mililani. It's cooler (temperature-wise) than many other parts of the area, and pretty residential with a good amount of relatively new housing stock. That said, my ultimate preference is to live in town, which is where I currently live.

I've also lived in Pearl City. As long as you're in upper Pearl City (as opposed to closer to Kamehameha Highway, which is a bit rough, even though it's closer to shopping), I wouldn't recommend against Pearl City, though it certainly not in my list of top ten places to live on island.

As for Wahiawa, I used to work up there. It is not a place where I'd recommend living. In my view, too many old buildings/properties in Wahiawa. There is some pretty decent grub in Wahiawa believe it or not, but that still doesn't make up for everything else.

I can recommend many places to live, but a lot will come down to your budget. Without a solid picture of how much you're working with, it's hard to say whether any neighborhood recommendations are realistic/whether we're wasting time, etc.

Hello prospectheightsresident,

Thank you for mentioning Mililani Oahu. We’ll research on Mililani.
We did watch a YouTube video about the homeless people living near the freeways in Pearl City for some reason. The pros of living in P.C. may be potential employers and big box shops. More hospitals nearby the better for me as I’m a soon-to-be-retiring nurse.

I personally want to refrain from living in Honolulu. Too crowded, too many cars, expensive, too familiar as I sort of grew up there (Junior High, High school, 4 yrs of college).
A retiree’s budget is small. It will be much smaller than present (still working).

Plumeria20

Old 02-28-2023, 12:02 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Hello prospectheightsresident,

Thank you for mentioning Mililani Oahu. We’ll research on Mililani.
We did watch a YouTube video about the homeless people living near the freeways in Pearl City for some reason. The pros of living in P.C. may be potential employers and big box shops. More hospitals nearby the better for me as I’m a soon-to-be-retiring nurse.

I personally want to refrain from living in Honolulu. Too crowded, too many cars, expensive, too familiar as I sort of grew up there (Junior High, High school, 4 yrs of college).
A retiree’s budget is small. It will be much smaller than present (still working).

Plumeria20
Depending on how small your budget is, you may very well find that Oahu is too expensive period. But only you'll know that for sure upon an accounting of your finances, etc. Best of luck!

Old 02-28-2023, 11:55 AM

82 posts, read 205,307 times
Default Tax on Pensions

Hello,

State of Hawaii does not tax governmental pensions such as federal, state and municipal retirement fund withdrawal. And despite record housing costs property taxes are comparatively low.

Aloha

Old 02-28-2023, 12:34 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Hello Futuremauian,

No government/public pension, unfortunately.
I wish the state wouldn’t tax pension from work.
We’d definitely have to sell our little condo in sCal to even consider buying a place in the islands.

I see that you are in Lahaina. We’ve enjoyed visiting Maui though we were hit by flash flood on the way back to hotel from Hana road. Never experienced flash flood before, and the driver side mirror was completely ripped out, cleanly cut away from the car. The car would’ve taken a dive at the dark Hana road if we were 15 minutes behind.

Thanks for your response.

Plumeria20

Hawaii does not tax pensions from private companies either, as long as they are employer funded pensions.
Any portion that was funded by the employee is taxed. The same is true for workplace retirement savings accounts like 401k, 403b. The portion attributed to employer contributions (such as matching contributions to 401k) are exempt from Hawaii state income tax. The portion attributed to employee contributions are taxed.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Hawaii does not tax pensions from private companies either, as long as they are employer funded pensions.
Any portion that was funded by the employee is taxed. The same is true for workplace retirement savings accounts like 401k, 403b. The portion attributed to employer contributions (such as matching contributions to 401k) are exempt from Hawaii state income tax. The portion attributed to employee contributions are taxed.

Hello KohalaTransplant,

Good to know about the employer contributions not being taxed (401k & 403b) in Hawaii though my own contributions are way more than employers’. I also have an employer funded pension from a private healthcare company/hospital.
I wonder how does the state separate the employer contributions from one’s own contributions on 401k & 403k, going back many years?

Plumeria20

Old 02-28-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kualoa View Post
Hello,

State of Hawaii does not tax governmental pensions such as federal, state and municipal retirement fund withdrawal. And despite record housing costs property taxes are comparatively low.

Aloha

Hello Kualoa,

Going from state of CA, even the island of Hawaii seems to be lower in taxes.
We have a pension from a private employer, not governmental.

Plumeria20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu