Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 02:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I noticed Waze (I highly recommend Waze) has added Red Light Camera locations in the app. I don't know if the camera's are actually set up or they've added them to the app in anticipation of them being installed.

One of the triggers was when I was on McCully - which was on the list to be an alternative location.

I've lived all over the US - travelled most of it - and lived around the world - I've never seen so many people run lights than any other location (and, yes - the local population). I myself was T-Boned roughly 4 years ago as I was making a left turn on Salt Lake Blvd by a red light runner (fortunately my car was built like a tank) and when we pulled over, she had the gall to say it was my fault. Fortunately a good Samaritan/witness in the car behind me also pulled over and backed my story with the police/insurance.

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/hdo...pilot-program/

Here is the full list of intersections that are being considered. These are the ten on the list:

Beretania St and Piikoi St
Kapiolani Blvd and Kamakee St
Vineyard Blvd and Palama St
Vineyard Blvd and Pali Hwy
N. King St. and Beretania St
King St. and Ward Ave.
Vineyard Blvd and Liliha St
Pali Hwy and School St
Likelike Hwy and School St
King St and River St

There are also our alternative sites being considered:

King St and Kohou St.
McCully St and Algaroba St.
King St and Middle St
Vineyard Blvd and Nuuanu Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 03:29 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Thanks for the heads up. If you get ticketed at one of these intersections (and, note, even if you think you're in the clear, if you're beyond a certain point, you'll still get a ticket), you only have yourself to blame, especially with apps like WAZE.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:34 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Bout dang time.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:05 PM

24 posts, read 26,464 times
I got T-Boned last summer by a red light runner. Ordered a dash cam for my car the next day.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:20 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-JiF6OmFw

More info on the red light cameras. They will cite car owners and not drivers. Yes, owners can contest tickets, but I say be careful about who you loan your vehicles out to.

Apparently, the cameras were supposed to be active in May, but someone stole one of the test cameras that was collecting required data and there was an issue with another. Additional testing taking place this month and cameras should be up and running by November.

Another call for people to download WAZE if they don't have already.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:22 AM

122 posts, read 83,030 times
Remember the Good Old Days, when people actually tried to stop for YELLOW lights? Why is everyone in such a damn hurry?

Old 09-03-2022, 12:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
Remember the Good Old Days, when people actually tried to stop for YELLOW lights? Why is everyone in such a damn hurry?

I’ve lived a few different places on the mainland - and have had business travel to just about every major and mid sized city. On Oahu - the red light running is unlike anything I’ve ever seen (by locals - and yes you can tell by car/truck). I’m often stopping at a red and will say to myself how many are running the light - and it’s often 2-3 with outright red. Some just go thru Red no matter how long was Red.

Old 09-03-2022, 01:55 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Local Islanders are bad about not using turn signals, not stopping for stop signs while turning right, and running red lights.

Tourists are the worst about driving with no lights at night and making illegal U-turns because they are lost.

Local Haoles are bad about texting while driving and driving slowly while they are distracted.

Old 09-07-2022, 04:21 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yesterday, I noticed Waze (I highly recommend Waze) has added Red Light Camera locations in the app. I don't know if the camera's are actually set up or they've added them to the app in anticipation of them being installed.

One of the triggers was when I was on McCully - which was on the list to be an alternative location.

I've lived all over the US - travelled most of it - and lived around the world - I've never seen so many people run lights than any other location (and, yes - the local population). I myself was T-Boned roughly 4 years ago as I was making a left turn on Salt Lake Blvd by a red light runner (fortunately my car was built like a tank) and when we pulled over, she had the gall to say it was my fault. Fortunately a good Samaritan/witness in the car behind me also pulled over and backed my story with the police/insurance.

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/hdo...pilot-program/

Here is the full list of intersections that are being considered. These are the ten on the list:

Beretania St and Piikoi St
Kapiolani Blvd and Kamakee St
Vineyard Blvd and Palama St
Vineyard Blvd and Pali Hwy
N. King St. and Beretania St
King St. and Ward Ave.
Vineyard Blvd and Liliha St
Pali Hwy and School St
Likelike Hwy and School St
King St and River St

There are also our alternative sites being considered:

King St and Kohou St.
McCully St and Algaroba St.
King St and Middle St
Vineyard Blvd and Nuuanu Ave.
Thanks for the post. It's about time. I cannot count how many times I've been at stop, (Red light) watch runners run the light!!

Old 02-04-2023, 07:59 PM

122 posts, read 83,030 times
Any statistics yet on number of tickets issued?

Waze now has notification of upcoming red light camera intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu