Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 10:11 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Do you have an idea of how much the process will be for your building? I will say that we are finally getting down to business on this project, but we've been talking about it since at least 2016.
We were meeting with the facilitators years ago and they were recommending "getting in line" then as they saw a 2-3 year wait to start actual work. At this point I believe we are still fooling around with consultants.

I have a 3 story walk up that has been very proactive and we go in and replace all the pipes we can when an owner does a kitchen or bath remodel. Another property with almost 3 times the number of units is moving forward soon. They are saying they will be in and out of a unit in a week and each evening they will leave a workable kitchen and bath so it will mostly be a day time inconvenience. Haven't seen a cost yet.

It would be nice if there was some organized effort to get rid of the sprinkler law. It is overkill, pun intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 11:59 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post

It would be nice if there was some organized effort to get rid of the sprinkler law. It is overkill, pun intended.
Organized effort by who - I suspect the sprinkler law is overwhelmingly popular. No Mayor or legislature is ever going to walk back a sprinkler ordinance.

Now is the very best time to do it - property values are up - tap that equity.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Organized effort by who - I suspect the sprinkler law is overwhelmingly popular. No Mayor or legislature is ever going to walk back a sprinkler ordinance.
The taxpayers need to organize. If politicians can vote against family leave then surely this isn't a protected law. Just need the proper spin. Say call it forced fluoridation of your condo. Has anyone done any studies of the environmental effect when Fluoridated water hits high temperatures? I think I'll be doing my OWN research before I allow the government to state piping this poison into my living space. Ammirite, Americans?

Once owners start seeing hard costs on these projects I think there will be some backlash. Hundreds of millions to save how many lives? I am going to call my representatives and encourage others to do as well.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2017/11/ne...-requirements/

Old 11-26-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The taxpayers need to organize.
If we can't get rid of rail - and the lifetime of costs that will go with it - you won't get rid of sprinkler requirements - if not the City and County requirements - the insurance companies would be next to require

Old 11-27-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
If we can't get rid of rail -
Yeah, but we were spending someone elses money. We paid pennies on the dollar!! Maybe those federal people will spring for some million dollar grants. Shoot, they may need some one at $400,000 a year to manage that. Time for some resume dusting.

Old 11-28-2021, 03:31 PM

Looks like there may be some help on this,

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/08/fo...ck-sprinklers/

Old 11-28-2021, 06:57 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Looks like there may be some help on this,

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/08/fo...ck-sprinklers/
I'll take any assistance on this issue that they offer. I don't disagree with the intent of the law, but it is a bit heavy-handed and unnecessary in some cases.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:39 PM

From the article:

Since the Marco Polo fire, there have been 239 high-rise fires and 79.4% of the buildings that burned did not have sprinklers, according to HFD.

You can't fight statistics.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:45 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
From the article:

Since the Marco Polo fire, there have been 239 high-rise fires and 79.4% of the buildings that burned did not have sprinklers, according to HFD.

I'm curious to know how many of these buildings burned for an extended period of time and weren't able to be put out quickly by the fire department

Otherwise, that's a statistic that doesn't inherently justify costly mandatory sprinklers

Also, on statistics, 70% of high rises in Honolulu don't have sprinklers, so that number doesn't sound as alarming as it may otherwise, proving once again that statistics can be meaningless without context.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:55 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,072 times
Quote:
From the article:

The sprinklered to non-sprinklered building ratio on Oahu is almost identical to that figure. So all they are saying is we've had 239 fires over 4 years. Nice bit of info I suppose but totally irrelevant to the story. I thought civil beat was a little better at their reporting than that.

I don't understand why they just don't require common area sprinklers and sprinklers only at large exterior openings (I.e. windows and lanai doors). Far far lower cost to install and significantly less intrusive to residents. It achieves the goal of preventing fire from spreading from one unit to another and keeps common areas free of spreading flames so escape to fire exits is not blocked.

Last edited by pj737; 11-29-2021 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu