Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 04:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine any mayoral candidate would support rail past Middle Street - this effectively kills rail. Unfortunately the West Side and especially Pearl city will have to live with those ugly pillars.

"Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell says the city must live between "revenue boundaries" and should focus on shortening the proposed 20-mile rail project to 15 miles.

"We need to focus for now on how we get to Middle Street," he told HART's Board of Directors.
Caldwell made a surprise visit to the board's meeting to deliver the message.

He said the projected cost for the planned route to Ala Moana Center would be $8.3 billion, considerably more than the $6.8 billion the city can afford.

"Let's do a good job for the first 15 miles," Caldwell urged. "

Caldwell wants to shorten rail to 15 miles, ending route at Midd - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times
End at Middle Street ? That's pretty ridiculous. It won't even get commuters into downtown to work. They will need to end the route and then force people off the train and onto busses to get them downtown. Pretty inconvenient for workers.

It won't even help people trying to get from downtown or Waikiki to the airport.

Stopping at Middle Street pretty much makes the entire project a total waste in my mind. If they stop now, they will never get back to adding to it again.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:56 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
End at Middle Street ? That's pretty ridiculous. It won't even get commuters into downtown to work. They will need to end the route and then force people off the train and onto busses to get them downtown. Pretty inconvenient for workers.

It won't even help people trying to get from downtown or Waikiki to the airport.

Stopping at Middle Street pretty much makes the entire project a total waste in my mind. If they stop now, they will never get back to adding to it again.
My thoughts, too. They should have started at the opposite end in town and then expanded up island. But, too late for that. I think getting into town is a big selling point for many.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My thoughts, too. They should have started at the opposite end in town and then expanded up island. But, too late for that. I think getting into town is a big selling point for many.
They didn't start at the other end of town as they'd blow the entire budget with 5 miles.

You start in Kapolei then you get some built to the point you can't stop - and let's face it - it's the west side. You can ugly it up and nobody cares. Ugly up Ala Moana/Downtown you have outrage.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:40 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I was against rail. We voted, we got it.

They need to finish it as it was intended, and I won't vote for anyone who does not intend to finish the rail.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-18-2016, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 12,128 times
Who could have predicted this? That it wouldnt even be built.

serious this is a great outcome. better if they just remove pillars and STOP. The mayor who pushed this thru should face charges-it was a boondoggle from the git go! Oahu canNOT support a rail. Just not enuff rich dude willing to ride the rail, plus lay of the land is just horrible for rail. The poor wont ride it either -no munney!

Old 06-18-2016, 08:07 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They didn't start at the other end of town as they'd blow the entire budget with 5 miles.

You start in Kapolei then you get some built to the point you can't stop - and let's face it - it's the west side. You can ugly it up and nobody cares. Ugly up Ala Moana/Downtown you have outrage.
I actually think the rail looks nice enough, and would look even better among high rises. But, that's me.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 12,128 times
Rails arent ugly per SE! Chinatown is UGLY!

Old 06-24-2016, 08:15 PM

And now you can ride with graffiti to Middle Street.....

Giant, elaborate graffiti discovered on Honolulu rail car - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

A giant mural stretches across the full length of one of the four new cars that arrived on the island just last month. The intricate graffiti reaches all the way up to the car's roof and over its windows.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
I think the extra cost of increased security might blow the budget.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu