Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 06:22 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
....rather than what condition that tracks are in or who has the most political clout!
the conditions of the track are more and very important....we have enough derailments as it is with the existing system....using the tracks in the condition they're currently in will only lead to multiple deaths and then lawsuits....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 12:08 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
the conditions of the track are more and very important....we have enough derailments as it is with the existing system....using the tracks in the condition they're currently in will only lead to multiple deaths and then lawsuits....
Either you misunderstood what I said in my reply to the other poster, or I did not make myself clear enough.

The other poster said "the Reading service is the easiest to implement because the railroad is in good shape and likely just needs the addition of passenger infrastructure." I say we should not care which new passenger route is the easiest to implement, but rather which route makes the most sense in terms of passenger miles and future revenue.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:10 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The other poster said "the Reading service is the easiest to implement because the railroad is in good shape and likely just needs the addition of passenger infrastructure." I say we should not care which new passenger route is the easiest to implement, but rather which route makes the most sense in terms of passenger miles and future revenue.
disagree, the condition of the infrastructure determines the cost to implement which is going to drive the return. you want to look at how much it costs and how many people would use it not one or the other. Condition of infrastructure will also influence how many people use the service.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:20 AM

3,939 posts, read 2,338,527 times
AFAIK, NJ Transit hasn't even finished that leg to Andover, NJ. That was supposed to be done last decade but it's been pushed to 2026. Going by that leg being completed on time, I don't see the next leg to Blairstown being finished by 2028. No way! Then the next stop is crossing the bridge to the Gap then East Stroudsburg. Maybe 2045-2050 just to cross the bridge? 2050 I'll be 86 and easily retired. Maybe my grandkids but they don't live in the area. Doesn't look good for the 2028 Amtrack timeline. Anything is possible.

I include this article only for the picture of Matt Cartwright in his safety vest. I do take him seriously.

https://www.njherald.com/story/news/...r/72357181007/

Last edited by quiet life; 04-15-2024 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-15-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
disagree, the condition of the infrastructure determines the cost to implement which is going to drive the return. you want to look at how much it costs and how many people would use it not one or the other. Condition of infrastructure will also influence how many people use the service.
You may be right. Let's say there are 10 average daily riders on a Reading line, and 20 on a Scranton line.
Throwing away less money on Reading in that case would be the "least bad" decision.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
AFAIK, NJ Transit hasn't even finished that leg to Andover, NJ. That was supposed to be done last decade but it's been pushed to 2026. Going by that leg being completed on time, I don't see the next leg to Blairstown being finished by 2028. No way! Then the next stop is crossing the bridge to the Gap then East Stroudsburg. Maybe 2045-2050 just to cross the bridge? 2050 I'll be 86 and easily retired. Maybe my grandkids but they don't live in the area. Doesn't look good for the 2028 Amtrack timeline. Anything is possible.

I include this article only for the picture of Matt Cartwright in his safety vest. I do take him seriously.
A co-worker who lives in Byram told me a construction vehicle caught fire inside the Andover tunnel about a month ago (I was not able to find any news about that). But on the bright side, at lease there was a construction vehicle on site!

Old 04-15-2024, 10:33 AM

3,939 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Pardon me if this has already been covered. How much would a monthly ticket cost from say East Stroudsburg to NYC? Ball park? Would it be cheaper than the Martz?

Old 04-15-2024, 10:58 AM

Monthly ticket from Hackettstown to NY Penn is $451.00, and it's $445.00 from Dover. So figure an extra ten bucks a month, more or less, for Eastburg to NY Penn.

According to the Martz website they have a pass between Stroudsburg/DWG for $739.99 that gives you "40 trips in 45 days" which corresponds to 20 round trips (one month) so Martz is way more expensive than the train would be. I've seen some unmarked "ghetto buses" on Route 80 that are presumably cheaper than Martz, but you wouldn't catch me riding one of those things.

So the train wins on price, but the bus is a little faster and offers more frequent departure times. I've been stuck at Penn Station after a ballgame waiting for a track assignment, and it gets old pretty fast.

P.S. A 15% fare increase for NJ Transit is starting July 1, 2024 and 3% annual increase after that. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...n-bus/5306713/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania