Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 72,692 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is true but i heard this. The residents that reside in Oniontown are linked to the mental patients that used to reside in the mental hospital that closed down years ago. They say when it closed down all the patients just resided in that area. Once again not sure if its true but its what i heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 31,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOJ View Post
Do the kids there go to school with the other Dover Plains kids? Perhaps a student from one of those schools can give us the scoop on how the Oniontown kids interact with others?
well i live in dover, onion town is not what people make it out to be.
yes, we all go to the same school. the kids are just like any other kids.
onion towners dont like people coming in there because all they do is want to cause drama and stick there nose where it doesnt belong.
they have nothing agains other people that come in there for an actual reason.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Anyone ever been to this place? Rural out of touch area's interest me

a quick google search pulled this up

From what i understand, the property ISN'T private, so why should people stay out?

Thoughts? experiences?
It's a hick town with a lot of incest in it. Don't go there.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 31,329 times
Talking Dover Plains Native

Having been born and raised in Dover Plains, let me put to rest some of this nonsense......these "oniontowners" are some of the kindest, down to Earth, unpretentious people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I was raised on Lime Kiln Rd, when I grew up, everyone from the Garrands to the Callahans were related, the road was called Guinea Ave. I went to Dover High School, with the kids from Oniontown, oh and by the way, it was named for the onion fields surrounding it, the fields where the people from the mountain "worked" they did not have much and yes they did not live to the "standards", that most would think acceptable, however, they did not ever bother people, until people bothered them. I could walk up that old dirt road at any time, morning, noon, or night, and not come to any harm or foul. These are simple people who eek out a meager existance.....never, have I met a happier bunch of people......or a more loyal and dedicated and most of all respectful to their elders than "these" people. So before you believe everything you read, and most of what you hear......remember "Never corner something that is meaner than you", and live and let live........Hello to all my friends

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
I like this part:

Quote:
Police asked the two teens, a pair of 17-year olds from Mahopac, N.Y., if they had come to mock the town and then post it online, and they were forced to admit they had indeed. Instead they were pelted with rocks by an angry group of local residents, which apparently the filmers had not expected to be a part of their online video. Future nonresidents have a common destiny: pain.

A female passenger suffered injuries to her head and face, and the male driver also got what was coming to him.
Just another case of dumb affluent kids acting way over their heads.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
here's a pic from route 22

Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 30,884 times
Both my brother-in-laws are state troopers in the Dover area and they both confirm that this is simply a poorly kept, drug riddled neighborhood on property owned by a crazy, drug dealing woman who is always stirring up trouble herself.

A NOTE TO ANY WHO MAY ATTEMPT TO SNEAK UP THERE FOR A LOOK: DON'T! They can cameras all over the property, up the road far before the no trespassing signs, and they WILL no you're coming. You wouldn't roll up to a crack house and taunt the crack dealers and crack heads right? That would be dangerous. Treat Oniontown with that same healthy fear!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
For heaven's sake, people....this is Dutchess County, a rural outlier of the New York City metropolitan area! Its 20 minutes from Fairfield County, CT. This isn't some area in a wild western Indian reservation where you might have no rights. Leave these people alone! There's no real reason to drive down that road, and especially trespassing and making fun of them, as those idiot downstate kids did. Can't really blame these folks for getting mad and retaliating.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:30 PM

15 posts, read 85,642 times
I used to work with a girl who always wanted to me to go to Oniontown with her. She said it was called that because there was an onion field next to the property and the people who lived there would raid the fields at night...according to her the area next to the Onion field was a dump and poor people start squatting there and turned it into a home. So anyway, she said that anyone who doesn't live there gets beat up or rocks thrown at them. Needless to say I never went there with her. She also wanted me to go to Harlem Valley and do some Urban Exploration in one of the abandoned hospitals. That girl was crazy!!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 30,658 times
Wow seriously? Cops hav no problem going up there...they hav had electric & plumbing since way b4 the 90's & no incest is not an issue most of the "kids" I came up w/40-25yr olds are biracial so I doubt that a white man impregnated a white niece/daughter w/black babies & lastly they may not live in fancy homes w/manicured lawns & some may rely on "the system" but don't think for a second that it's like the dark ages...they have the same flat screen tvs,laptops & iPhones as you the young people all wear the same $50-$100 jeans as you & drive decent cars w/rims & stero systems jus like "regular" kids they just happen to live @ the end of a partially paved road in a place named for the fields of onions that used to grow there...I get so sick of hearing all this crazy stuff... they are people who choose 2 live a simple life surrounded by family...Even the most elite of families are touched by drugs,teen pregnancy & mental illness so why is it so laughable or disgusting that a "poor" family is dealing w/the same **** we all face? Try this out go on Poughkeepsie Journals sight & look up Shakim Futrell he is an amazing athlete & student from Oniontown!!!! It's so crazy to see the things people who live right here in Dover still assume about "these people"as y'all refer 2 them I know plenty of well off ,educated "good" people who mistreat their kids,use drugs, lie,cheat & steal & keep house like pigs but it's ok bc they're educated,never let their lawn grow longer than 2.5in & keep their Audis & Volvos clean & shiny even if they do pound a bottle of moscato b4 driving their perfect kids to soccer & ballet...get a grip people they are no different than you & you are probably no better than them we are all jus people getting by the best way we know how!!!Wow seriously? Cops hav no problem going up there...they hav had electric & plumbing since way b4 the 90's & no incest is not an issue most of the "kids" I came up w/40-25yr olds are biracial so I doubt that a white man impregnated a white niece/daughter w/black babies & lastly they may not live in fancy homes w/manicured lawns & some may rely on "the system" but don't think for a second that it's like the dark ages...they have the same flat screen tvs,laptops & iPhones as you the young people all wear the same $50-$100 jeans as you & drive decent cars w/rims & stero systems jus like "regular" kids they just happen to live @ the end of a partially paved road in a place named for the fields of onions that used to grow there...I get so sick of hearing all this crazy stuff... they are people who choose 2 live a simple life surrounded by family...Even the most elite of families are touched by drugs,teen pregnancy & mental illness so why is it so laughable or disgusting that a "poor" family is dealing w/the same **** we all face? Try this out go on Poughkeepsie Journals sight & look up Shakim Futrell he is an amazing athlete & student from Oniontown!!!! It's so crazy to see the things people who live right here in Dover still assume about "these people"as y'all refer 2 them I know plenty of well off ,educated "good" people who mistreat their kids,use drugs, lie,cheat & steal & keep house like pigs but it's ok bc they're educated,never let their lawn grow longer than 2.5in & keep their Audis & Volvos clean & shiny even if they do pound a bottle of moscato b4 driving their perfect kids to soccer & ballet...get a grip people they are no different than you & you are probably no better than them we are all jus people getting by the best way we know how!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York