Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM

8 posts, read 31,316 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I posted a similar post in a previous thread but thought id start a fresh one instead.
I will be moving to the Corning/Elmira area within the next month or so, and I was wondering what the area is like?
Apparently the small place i bought is in redneckville according to my realtor lol, but as long as its not New Jersey, i could care less! due to my few neighbors im hoping that i can reclaim what is left of my sanity through the peace and quiet.

Anyway, anyone on this forum that lives in this area or close radius I would love to hear anything you have to say concerning the quality of life, people, things to do, and mostly any form of employment oppurtunities... I have mostly labor skills and was thinking of starting a small property maintenance business(lawn care, landscaping, light carpentry, painting etc).

Ive had to try and get some work done prior to the sale and its been tough to get people out to give estimates, is this typical? The casual approach to getting someone to do work for you that is? just curious.

Well thats about it any info or input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 AM

16 posts, read 52,452 times
I live about 60 miles north of corning elmira area I have driven thru there many times 100s actually and it seems to be a nice area. Many of the area residents work for the elmira penetentuary spelled that wrong!! Lots of stores car dealerships a small mall nothing great but better than nothing. You can visit many of the shops in corning such as the norman rockwell Museum -corning glass museum-various craft and antique stores are scattered about. Seems to be plenty of police protection so watch your speed!! Very pretty area with a nice river that hasnt flooded since 72. Or at least not as bad. There are lots of older homes in the area and you should be able to start your own business without too much hassle especially if you are insured.that seems to bother most people now days. People are people no matter where you go ... grumpy ones friendly ones etc but you will find most to be friendly around there. Good luck and may you enjoy it here!! Bob

Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwallace View Post
I live about 60 miles north of corning elmira area I have driven thru there many times 100s actually and it seems to be a nice area. Many of the area residents work for the elmira penetentuary spelled that wrong!! Lots of stores car dealerships a small mall nothing great but better than nothing. You can visit many of the shops in corning such as the norman rockwell Museum -corning glass museum-various craft and antique stores are scattered about. Seems to be plenty of police protection so watch your speed!! Very pretty area with a nice river that hasnt flooded since 72. Or at least not as bad. There are lots of older homes in the area and you should be able to start your own business without too much hassle especially if you are insured.that seems to bother most people now days. People are people no matter where you go ... grumpy ones friendly ones etc but you will find most to be friendly around there. Good luck and may you enjoy it here!! Bob
Thanks Bob, for the insight, and i will eye my speedometer!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
definitely - also keep your eyes on the speed signs, they tend to change at will and don't always make much sense.......

I grew up a little bit outside of corning (NW) and it's a very scenic area - you aren't the first person looking to get away from the city life to make the jump

My hometown is about 10,000 people. My dad is a carpenter. My grandmothers neighbor does landscape (he worked for someone, until he was let go and now he's trying it on his own). There is some factory work in the area. Prisons are big employers as well as retail/service, gov't jobs, etc.

Not sure about the wineries, but they could be a potential place to look for work - not sure what their needs are.

Also there are many parks, etc that may need assistance in groundskeeping (like pinnacle state park in addison, which also has a golf course)

it's a great place to unwind, be a part of nature, hike, fish, bike, ski, etc - the scenery is incredible in that region

downsides are unfortunately the job market, limited options for convenience, the weather (pending on your point of view) and the one thing that personally drove me nuts was everyone knowing everyone and everything

best of luck on the move - keep your attitude right and i'm sure something will pop up and you'll make it work

in construction the winters tend to be a down time so bank roll a little in the summer to get you through ....... this past year has been brutal though, my dad commutes to a better jobs area and even then his wages were down about 20% year over year

Old 05-19-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
definitely - also keep your eyes on the speed signs, they tend to change at will and don't always make much sense.......

I grew up a little bit outside of corning (NW) and it's a very scenic area - you aren't the first person looking to get away from the city life to make the jump

My hometown is about 10,000 people. My dad is a carpenter. My grandmothers neighbor does landscape (he worked for someone, until he was let go and now he's trying it on his own). There is some factory work in the area. Prisons are big employers as well as retail/service, gov't jobs, etc.

Not sure about the wineries, but they could be a potential place to look for work - not sure what their needs are.

Also there are many parks, etc that may need assistance in groundskeeping (like pinnacle state park in addison, which also has a golf course)

it's a great place to unwind, be a part of nature, hike, fish, bike, ski, etc - the scenery is incredible in that region

downsides are unfortunately the job market, limited options for convenience, the weather (pending on your point of view) and the one thing that personally drove me nuts was everyone knowing everyone and everything

best of luck on the move - keep your attitude right and i'm sure something will pop up and you'll make it work

in construction the winters tend to be a down time so bank roll a little in the summer to get you through ....... this past year has been brutal though, my dad commutes to a better jobs area and even then his wages were down about 20% year over year
Hey, thanks so much FL'er, i will agree, the areas that i have seen around there have some great scenery and terrain!

As far as work goes i definitely figured i have my work cut out for me, and i agree on your having save to get through the winter...

Funny, i feel the same way you do about everybody knowing everyone and everything, thats tough when you value your privacy and discretion!

I read your post a few times and you gave me some good leads and guidelines that i will def, incorporate into my plan of relocating, including using a fake name from time to time, to shake people off my trail! lol.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
I guess there would be some potential for landscaping in the Corning inner ring suburbs due to PhD techie types employed by Corning Inc. having money but not being inclined to do property maintenance.

Another potential market might be second-home owners in the PA mountains or on the Finger Lakes - one would need to be respectful and meet them on weekends. "Flatlander" property owners in adjacent Tioga County, PA commonly complain about the locals who want to rip them off and won't meet to discuss business matters on weekends.

Not sure how you wouild market to these people, although there is a new bi-state rag that seems to attract advertising of this sort: Mountain Home Magazine - Life in the Pennsylvania Mountains & New York Finger Lakes: Home

As far as flooding is concerned, upstream of Corning and Elmira are three upstream flood control dams (Tioga, Hammond, Cowanesque) on the Tioga/Chemung River that weren't there in 1972. Flooding would definitely something to be aware of on the smaller streams and the other rivers though.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 PM

Thanks a bunch kiOeh!
Seems like ive found myself on the other side of the techie type coin, in that i have NO money but am inclined TO DO property maintenance! yikes!

Thats interesting; a trust problem...im very honest, and have no problem meeting anyone when they come up on the weekends, done it many times. thanks for the link as well, ive bookmarked that, and that is def a target market, because hate them if you will but the out of staters bring in money!

Flooding? id not even thought of that! Only thing ive heard is that the river is polluted, which i found dissapointing, as im trying to get away from pollution...oh well, thanks again for your time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York