Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 22,346 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Potsdam New York all my life. Why? First of all I really live in upstate New York. Look at a map and look how far New York extends. I live near the Canadian border. We get ALL the four seasons. Mega winter sports ,great fall foilage beautiful summers. GREAT place to raise children. Very rural living even though we have four colleges within a 10 mile radius. Our county was voted one of the top 10 in the United States !! Real estate is affordable too. If you want a major city to go to, you are about half hour from Canada and one and half hour from a US city of Watertown . The small town I live in has 34 restaurants itself. And yes we even have Walmarts, Home Depot, Lowes etc.
So, get out your map and take a look at at the real upstate New York. I love new york !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM

8 posts, read 40,404 times
Are there any former long islanders who have moved to western ny hancock/deposit area.Was it a big culture shock?How are the schools?what kind of jobs are available.Thinking of moving while the kids are still young.Or else ill be stuck on the island for 15 more years.Then i will defitnitly be moving upstate

Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM

12 posts, read 46,828 times
why will you want to leave urban new york i grow up in it and i am fine and still live here now and not going to leave queens if i leave queens it is going to be at rockaway beach or down south to vist my family down there that just moved from springfield garden/rosedell,ny

there is relly no need to move upstate i know it is very boring no malls no places to eat you will have to go about 20 or 30 miles to see a mc donald or
burger king

if you want to go to a major city go to manhhatan,ny that is a real city new york has a flow and i like the speed people drive and there is noting wrong with upstate but i rether stay in queens,ny

Old 03-24-2007, 04:03 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Try explaining that you are from a relatively large CITY in Upstate NY to someone from the NYC area! We lived in "the country" to them. They know about Buffalo...kind of, but as far as they know, Rochester and Syracuse are small dary farming communites (they have Albany by the balls, so they know that one...haha, I know I know...tongue and cheek)
Exactly. I was raised calling Syracuse "The City", not NYC. NYC is called Downstate.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:51 PM
77t

16 posts, read 86,824 times
Default upstate is beautiful

being from staten island and a nyc fire fighter i ride with a few buddys all the time up there and pa ...i must addmit though i do like snow it can be a little eye opening the first time you see lake affect....

Old 03-25-2007, 03:42 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monick View Post
there is relly no need to move upstate i know it is very boring no malls no places to eat you will have to go about 20 or 30 miles to see a mc donald or
burger king
Well, those are some of the very reasons many people find upstate NY attractive. And by the way, I found these:
. . .. . . , . , ? . .

I think you lost them. They were running around causing trouble with a bunch of rogue capital letters.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
HAHAHA Now if only a sense of reality could be located for monick....No malls, no places to eat....30 minutes to see a mcdonalds or burger king? Has this person ever even been to Upstate NY? Last time I checked, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany were all moderatly sized metropolitan areas, each with populations of about a million or more.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:11 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Question Oh my gosh..........

I hope Monick never gets outside of a 1 mile radius of buildings, wall to wall people and of course a cell phone.............Please don't ever move anywhere near here. That has to be a joke, right? People aren't that shallow, right?????????? It is so nice to have JUST 3 Burger Kings, not 30 and a ton of Mom and Pop restaurants and locally owned places that have unique menu options and choices..............I still think that has to be some sort of prank posting, right??????

Old 03-25-2007, 06:25 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Lightbulb For educational purposes only.............

I just want to inform one of the previous posters that even here in desolate, barren, dull, boring Plattsburgh, New York we have an Applebees, Wendy's, Lowe's, Gap, Starbucks, Old Navy, Victoria Secret, Borders (not that that would matter probably), Taco Bell, Ground Round, Pizza Huts, Subways, Dominos, Papa Johns, Quizznos, all the usual suspects......way more than enough junk food to eat, so please don't feel sorry for us upstaters. I probably feel more sorry for you than you ever could for me......

Old 03-25-2007, 06:47 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
I just want to inform one of the previous posters that even here in desolate, barren, dull, boring Plattsburgh, New York we have an Applebees, Wendy's, Lowe's, Gap, Starbucks, Old Navy, Victoria Secret, Borders (not that that would matter probably), ......
That last bit is funny!

I think that monick is a kid, so I'm holding my tongue....uh, pen.....keyboard? Whatever.

Since someone pointed it out to me a while ago I have noticed how more and more people in their teens and twenties (and younger, I suppose) have a fear and distaste for what they call 'indy' restaurants. They feel that 'mom & pop' places, diners and restaurants that aren't part of a big corporate chain are wierd or dirty and to be avoided. They want the percieved 'safety' of a McDonalds or Olive Garden, etc. Kind of sad. I guess that is what happens when kids are raised by TV.

But back to upstate. I do have to admit that the time of year I least like in upstate NY is right around now. Summer, fantastic; fall, spectacular; winter, an exciting challenge and beautiful right after a snow. Early spring....... grey, brown, mud, wet, yuck..... My yard and driveway become a pond and a stream! But I know better things are on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York