Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 PM

36 posts, read 118,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
One shooting every night? Give me a break!
That's 100% true. There drug deals gone bad constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity10 View Post
That's 100% true. There drug deals gone bad constantly.
I have a very hard time believing that there are drug deals gone bad everyday in Binghamton. I'm sure there are some, but I believe that the violent crime rate actually went down and wasn't that bad in the area to begin with.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM

A lot of it goes unreported, if you get shot while buying drugs your not going to alert police 9 times out of 10.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
A lot of it goes unreported, if you get shot while buying drugs your not going to alert police 9 times out of 10.
While that would be true, that doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't report the crime and for it to happen everyday in that area seems to be hard to believe. I have a hard time believing that it would happen everyday without it being addressed in an area that isn't that big. It actually is one of the safest metro areas in the country, generally.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if people not from the area are involved in such activity too.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While that would be true, that doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't report the crime and for it to happen everyday in that area seems to be hard to believe. I have a hard time believing that it would happen everyday without it being addressed in an area that isn't that big. It actually is one of the safest metro areas in the country, generally.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if people not from the area are involved in such activity too.
The same shooters/drug dealers loiter the same apartment building hallways everynight, Why take a chance and put yourself in danger when it is just criminals shooting criminals. Please stop referencing the Metro Areas crime rate, Yes it is true that outside of Bingo/JC and a much lesser extent Endicott Broome county is very safe while Tioga is one of the safest counties in all of the northeast, But we are talking about BINGHAMTON not broome and tiogas metro area. Serious question CKhthankgod have you ever lived in the triple cities? And about it not being addressed, If a police officer was so bold to try and do something about Mayor Matt Ryan would probably have his head in a handbasket lol

Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The same shooters/drug dealers loiter the same apartment building hallways everynight, Why take a chance and put yourself in danger when it is just criminals shooting criminals. Please stop referencing the Metro Areas crime rate, Yes it is true that outside of Bingo/JC and a much lesser extent Endicott Broome county is very safe while Tioga is one of the safest counties in all of the northeast, But we are talking about BINGHAMTON not broome and tiogas metro area. Serious question CKhthankgod have you ever lived in the triple cities? And about it not being addressed, If a police officer was so bold to try and do something about Mayor Matt Ryan would probably have his head in a handbasket lol
I love when people try to make their city seem so much rougher it is.Even if you look at the city of Binghamton, the stats aren't showing what you are stating. I'm sure there are areas that are rougher than others, but to make the whole city seem bad doesn't make sense.

Also, from what you are saying, the Binghamton PD isn't doing their job if the same people are doing this NIGHTLY in a city of 45,000.

I know JC has some areas, but even that communities varies as to which areas are "bad" and what isn't.

You can only hide so much in these communities.

BTW- I have never lived there, but I actually follow news in that area and I wouldn't call every part of those cities "bad".

Old 07-18-2010, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 35,290 times
I must agree with Brown82. There is nothing here! really.. I have lived here since I was 5, and have lived in sc for about 2 yrs. then moved back, because of family. I would say vestal is the best place to raise a family. But if your young and single get out of here! Its hard to meet ppl here, everyone just kinda has their own circle of friends. Everyone always talks about how much binghamton sucks and never move away. Yeah i would have to agree, its like ppl are trapped here, but i would also say its more like their settled. And if they have not been anywhere other than binghamton than their missing out. I have been all over the east coast, and finally getting out. Im thankful that my job transfers. everyone is dead beat here. and who ever siad there is alot of crime here, well actually there really is not that much. its pretty safe. but alot of alcohol problems and drugs thats for sure. I know of some people that have gotten messed up and still are. downtown sucks. all the bars, clubs, very trashy. weather too, very depressing, ppl spend more time hanging out on random streets in their cars,, that explains why all the cops are rude. If people did not waste thier time maybe they would be more nice.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I love when people try to make their city seem so much rougher it is.Even if you look at the city of Binghamton, the stats aren't showing what you are stating. I'm sure there are areas that are rougher than others, but to make the whole city seem bad doesn't make sense.

Also, from what you are saying, the Binghamton PD isn't doing their job if the same people are doing this NIGHTLY in a city of 45,000.

I know JC has some areas, but even that communities varies as to which areas are "bad" and what isn't.

You can only hide so much in these communities.

BTW- I have never lived there, but I actually follow news in that area and I wouldn't call every part of those cities "bad".
I really dont think the whole city is bad, It has some really beautiful neighborhoods. It is census tract 13 and 11 where 90% of the problems are. You think having crime makes a city "rough" rough and tough is fighting with your hands not weapons, I've lived in Binghamton for 58 years, It was rough in the 60's when Bingo had 80,000 people were willing to work 16 hour days to provide for there family, now it is a bunch of thugs who dont want to work for there money and will shoot somebody rather than fight like a man.

Last edited by rivercity10; 07-18-2010 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I really dont think the whole city is bad, It has some really beautiful neighborhoods. It is census tract 13 and 11 where 90% of the problems are. You think having crime makes a city "rough" rough and tough is fighting with your hands not weapons, I've lived in Binghamton for 58 years, It was rough in the 60's when Bingo had 80,000 people were willing to work 16 hour days to provide for there family, now it is a bunch of thugs who dont want to work for there money and will shoot somebody rather than fight like a man.
I'll give you the part about some of these thugs can't scrap or fight worth a lick, but I'm just saying that the whole city isn't bad. I'm sure there are and always has been some rough areas in the city of Binghamton, but it is a city that genrally is alright. Not great, but it's generally liveable. It has seen better days, but that is due to a combination of things from the suburbanization of America to industry leaving cities that relied on it heavily like Binghamton, among some other things. It's always been a blue collar and gritty looking city even in more prosperous times. Same with JC and Endicott, which were both "company" communities.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 PM

BTW-North or Central?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York