Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 08:11 AM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by batonjohn View Post
Again - I did do research, there is honestly very very little. A lot of the research are people like you that go to the grave defending a decision they made. You haven't refuted much else other than some safety claims, but as you don't live in the City of Ithaca, what you say has little effect. Apart from murder, we have gunshots, assaults, drug abuse problems, etc. Not all are reflected in your statistics.

This is not a Hit and Run post. I am happy to provide an unbiased Q+A to anyone with any questions about my experience or looking for advice to move here. Part of the reason I made this post are for future people like myself who are looking for info on real Ithaca life, especially in any neighborhood lower that State Street.

Please - if you have some actual questions about my experience, please let me know and I will go to great lengths to provide a thoughtful, reasoned response.

Here's another piece of Ithaca safety. Pedestrian safety. You'd think Ithaca is this bastion of walkability right? Wrong. The people of Ithaca don't actually stop for pedestrians in crosswalks as they don't believe they have to.
This isn't about me. Hence, why I asked if you did research about the area before you moved there. There is literally a thread in the forum about development, but also includes information about the affordability(or lack there of) in terms of housing in the city/area as well. there has also been some information about crime and other issues win the city too. So, some of this has actually been covered in this forum, which could have been used for your research.

Also, it appears that you are on the South Side of the city(if I'm reading that right), which has a "rep", but depending on your experience/where you come from, can be more bark than bite.

If you don't mind, where did you live previously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 08:26 AM

6,397 posts, read 4,899,454 times
This is the reason there are so few posters in the Upstate NY forum. Its because they have to endlessly defend their posts. The OP sounds like an intelligent, articulate and well educated individual who stated their opinion of Ithaca based on an actual boots on the ground living experience.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
This is the reason there are so few posters in the Upstate NY forum. Its because they have to endlessly defend their posts. The OP sounds like an intelligent, articulate and well educated individual who stated their opinion of Ithaca based on an actual boots on the ground living experience.
The thing is that anyone can say anything on an anonymous forum. Asking questions is a way for dialogue and unless it is inflammatory/off topic, there isn't anything wrong with asking questions. Keep in mind, the OP has actually made it personal about someone they don't even know.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:14 AM

There are 32 threads on page one of NYS and you are the final poster on 31

Old 04-17-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
There are 32 threads on page one of NYS and you are the final poster on 31
So, ask yourself this, why aren't other people posting on the plenty of other threads or starting new threads?

Anyway, this is getting away from the thread topic.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:10 AM

5,682 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, ask yourself this, why aren't other people posting on the plenty of other threads or starting new threads?

Anyway, this is getting away from the thread topic.
Maybe you should ask yourself this question.

Last edited by JWRocks; 04-17-2023 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-17-2023, 10:29 AM

22 posts, read 14,860 times
Man, thank you JWRocks. I get that CKHThankgod has some intense interest in this region but he is the predominant poster. They also didn't refute much of what I said.

More people would probably post if CKHThankgod wasn't slavenly defensive of every single CNY post.

I make one unique post and I get called inflamatory, wrong, and basically gaslit for a calculated opinion about years of experience.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Man, thank you JWRocks. I get that CKHThankgod has some intense interest in this region but he is the predominant poster. They also didn't refute much of what I said.

More people would probably post if CKHThankgod wasn't slavenly defensive of every single CNY post.

I make one unique post and I get called inflamatory, wrong, and basically gaslit for a calculated opinion about years of experience.
He has to have the last word on everything. I have given up years ago. No matter what I post or what I reply he has to have the last word. Many posters have quit because of him. Look at yourself, that was one of the best posts I have seen in ages with an actual opinion and actual facts. What happens, you get a super hard time and he tries to refute everything you posted. There are 32 threads in NY State and he has the last word on 31 of them.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:27 PM

84 posts, read 94,171 times
Quote:
Ithaca was really sold as being this amazing town/smaller city and after two years, I'm out. Here's why:

1. Housing
Bad, expensive, small - for both renting and buying
The "City" of Ithaca the 10x10 square miles is getting dangerous
I was sold that Ithaca had no bad neighborhoods
This couldn't be further from the truth
A simple google search for the last 2 years shows numerous shootings scattered around the South and West parts of the city
I've definitely seen many complaints about Ithaca getting more dangerous in recent years. But I also notice people almost everywhere seem to feel less safe lately compared to pre-pandemic times.

You say you were led to believe there are no bad neighborhoods in Ithaca. I've had the opposite experience in my research. I get the impression there are no good neighborhoods. But Cayuga Heights just outside Ithaca seems nice and upscale. (I wouldn't personally want to live there, but it does look nice.)

What do you mean housing is "bad" - like it's ugly or in poor shape?

Quote:
2. People
Crusty is the absolute best word I can use to describe the actual people who you interact and live with
The younger liberal crowd is really a much much smaller group then you would think
The actual population (townies) are very very poor
There are serious racial divides in much of the city
I think the main people who live here are those who really couldn't cut it anywhere else and genuinely believe this is the best city on the earth.
Great to read that the young crowd is actually a smaller group than one might expect! Do the Cornell and IC students generally clear out in the summer or do they stick around? When you say crusty do you mean surly and ornery? Or like gross and dirty?

Quote:
3. The safety
Just look it up, things are terrible. Lots of crimes and no cops. Now I don't claim cops solve crimes, but we are talking at any time having 3 IPD on shift, I mean is that right? They dont or wont even look at things below a homicide.
Yes I have seen a lot of talk about these topics on other forums, in local newspapers, and there's also a Youtube guy that makes videos about Ithaca and he did one titled "Ithaca is not safe anymore" (not sure how seriously to take that one.) Many complaints about police not caring about crime. Lots of stories about break-ins, muggings, and other violent crime. People saying they no longer feel safe in the areas and neighborhoods they previously considered to be safe (including Fall Creek.)

Quote:
4. The food
LOL. Most of the restaurants are owned by a single guy, just look at the reviews for places like Revelry Yards, which opened just a few months ago.
I bet the food is pretty good in Ithaca. Do you really consider the restaurants to be a downside of Ithaca?

Quote:
My advice:
Don't live in the actual "City" of Ithaca look at Lansing or other suburbs
If you absolutely MUST search for Tompkins Community Action or INHS properties and AVOID AT ALL COSTS
A quick look at the IPD community dashboard shows the bulk of all calls are at these properties or nearby
These two orgs GOBBLE up dilapidated housing but then put the worst of the worst in the properties I am talking domestic violence, drug dealing etc.
Absolutely, absolutely avoid areas of Cleveland, State, Plain, Titus, Corn = Dont do it. The pricing might look good, the property might look good, but just dont bother. You'll regret the vagrancy, the crime, etc. I'm talking bullet holes through houses here.
Are you in your 30s/40s and call yourself normal? Do you have a good job, make a good wage and want a regular safe neighborhood? IMO Fall Creek or bust, you legitimately will stick out like a sort thumb anywhere else.
Thanks for getting specific and naming street names, that's helpful. Do you think Fall Creek is definitively the best part of town to live in? I've read it's not as nice as it used to be.

Do you feel unsafe pretty much everywhere throughout downtown Ithaca and the Commons? How about the Wegmans? How's the area west of the inlet?

Old 04-17-2023, 01:25 PM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Stick to the topic please.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York