Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 05:30 AM

3,537 posts, read 9,449,302 times

Advertisements

Auburn, NY should see some housing demand spillover from the housing demand in the Syracuse, New York metropolitan area. Might be a good investment now while no one knows about it yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNu0v...UJQXVidXJuIG55
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 05:41 AM

93,908 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Auburn, NY should see some housing demand spillover from the housing demand in the Syracuse, New York metropolitan area. Might be a good investment now while no one knows about it yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNu0v...UJQXVidXJuIG55
Auburn is known by some for its more affordable housing and its improving Downtown. Much of the city offers walkability, tourism/history and an arts scene. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if it catches the eye of more people. That would be not only due to growth planned for Syracuse, but it is a more affordable option than nearby Ithaca and you are literally 5-10 minutes from Skaneateles as well.

Geneva comes to mind as another Finger Lakes City that could get more interest as well.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:55 AM

Canandaigua would be my first pick because I like living in communities that are thriving, attracting newcomers, population growth, and growing with many new developments and construction. If you don't like growth Skaneatleles might be better for you because that town is against change and growth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-C3qLrsQM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ypv1lgcPRK4

Old 07-05-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Canandaigua would be my first pick because I like living in communities that are thriving, attracting newcomers, population growth, and growing with many new developments and construction. If you don't like growth Skaneatleles might be better for you because that town is against change and growth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-C3qLrsQM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ypv1lgcPRK4
Canandaigua is another city that could see even more growth.

With Skaneateles, it has caught the eye of the more affluent and that in turn, plays a part in its population staying static, give or take.

Ithaca is another city in the Finger Lakes attracting people and development, as illustrated in this thread over the years(R.I.P. to Ex-Ithacan): https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ts-ithaca.html

Old 07-05-2023, 09:26 AM

Auburn, NY doesn't place fluoride in the public drinking water system. So if you want to safely drink tap water without an extra water filter, that is a Pro for Auburn, NY.

I don't know if the town of Marcellus will allow economic development, growth, prosperity and new home construction in the near future. If I knew the leadership and residents were pro growth, Marcellus probably has the most potential out of all rest of the other places in the Finger Lakes region. But if Marcellus town, village leadership and others don't allow new home and commercial development and it stays the way it is today, I'd avoid Marcellus, it is much more boring than Auburn or Canandaigua.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Auburn, NY doesn't place fluoride in the public drinking water system. So if you want to safely drink tap water without an extra water filter, that is a Pro for Auburn, NY.

I don't know if the town of Marcellus will allow economic development, growth, prosperity and new home construction in the near future. If I knew the leadership and residents were pro growth, Marcellus probably has the most potential out of all rest of the other places in the Finger Lakes region. But if Marcellus town, village leadership and others don't allow new home and commercial development and it stays the way it is today, I'd avoid Marcellus, it is much more boring than Auburn or Canandaigua.
Marcellus is already seeing some new home development in the eastern portion of the town.

To be honest, there are plenty of communities in/around the Finger Lakes with potential for more development. Places like Naples, Hammondsport, Watkins Glen, Corning, Penn Yan and even Bath are some other places that come to mind.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:18 PM

I'm talking large scale home construction in Marcellus like you see in Metropolitan Charlotte, NC and Austin, Texas of planned communities in beautiful rolling hills with views with community amenities like grocery shopping, golf courses, YMCA, trails, sidewalks and parks. Marcellus is ideally located between the western suburbs of Syracuse in a good school district and Skaneateles. No other places in the Finger Lakes has that location, beauty, or convenience that Marcellus does apart from maybe Elbridge.

Central New York should take advantage of the places with the best potential to attract newcomers and economic development instead of just focusing almost growth in the flat more boring terrain in the northern suburbs of Clay and Cicero.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I'm talking large scale home construction in Marcellus like you see in Metropolitan Charlotte, NC and Austin, Texas of planned communities in beautiful rolling hills with views with community amenities like grocery shopping, golf courses, YMCA, trails, sidewalks and parks. Marcellus is ideally located between the western suburbs of Syracuse in a good school district and Skaneateles. No other places in the Finger Lakes has that location, beauty, or convenience that Marcellus does apart from maybe Elbridge.

Central New York should take advantage of the places with the best potential to attract newcomers and economic development instead of just focusing almost growth in the flat more boring terrain in the northern suburbs of Clay and Cicero.
Why? It has a nice quaint village that you can build around and everyone doesn't necessarily like that type of development. If anything, extend the village infrastructure a little bit and built closer to the village. It seems like it would make more sense to grow from inside out versus piecing the development here and there.

Skaneateles already has YMCA facilities, as does Onondaga Hill on the OCC campus. so, Marcellus is in between the two.

A lot of development has taken place in the Baldwinsville area, Fayetteville, Onondaga Hill(largely housing) and Camillus(i.e.-Township 5, etc.) as well.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:47 PM

Why? Locating very close to Skaneateles is a draw for some people. If Skaneateles attracts people to move to the Syracuse area then give as many housing options and housing units as possible close to Skaneateles to attract the most people and economic development as possible. I never said sprawl all over the place, I'd want to see planned walkable communities that connects with the village of Marcellus so you won't need a car to live there.

That's how it is done in the rest of the world. Why not in CNY?

Old 07-05-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Why? Locating very close to Skaneateles is a draw for some people. If Skaneateles attracts people to move to the Syracuse area then give as many housing options and housing units as possible close to Skaneateles to attract the most people and economic development as possible. I never said sprawl all over the place, I'd want to see planned walkable communities that connects with the village of Marcellus so you won't need a car to live there.

That's how it is done in the rest of the world. Why not in CNY?
That's not necessarily done with planned communities, but by extending the infrastructure already in place.

Also, if the demand is there, development will come. You still have plenty of land in the town of Skaneateles that can get developed. Elbridge is another adjacent town that has 2 villages that you can build around and what is nice there, Jordan-Elbridge HS is in between the villages and could have infrastructure/development built around it, so children can walk to school.

Auburn may also get high demand, because it is a city that has some amenities and walkability.

So, development may be set up based upon what the communities already have in place and the potential for expansion off of what is already there.

That is the difference between areas up here and an Austin, where much of it was built in more recent years in terms of development versus the cities up here once holding more people, as well as being set up to hold more people than they currently do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York