Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM

954 posts, read 4,381,233 times

Advertisements

I don't think that it is fundamentally an issue of mass migration. I think that probably intensifies it, but does not account for it. The reason is that as a Michigander, who went to school in Tennessee and worked in a small town and a small city in NC,(over 12 years) I too experienced the anti-Yankee thing. The county where I lived in the western part of the state hadn't seen any positive growth in decades.
It took me 12 years to realize that I am fundamentally a Midwesterner from a large industrial city and would never be happy in NC. So, I moved to a place where they really don't give a f*** where you are from.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,082,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
I don't think that it is fundamentally an issue of mass migration. I think that probably intensifies it, but does not account for it. The reason is that as a Michigander, who went to school in Tennessee and worked in a small town and a small city in NC,(over 12 years) I too experienced the anti-Yankee thing. The county where I lived in the western part of the state hadn't seen any positive growth in decades.
It took me 12 years to realize that I am fundamentally a Midwesterner from a large industrial city and would never be happy in NC. So, I moved to a place where they really don't give a f*** where you are from. :)

Can I guess? NYC.....love that place and wouldn't trade all the nice winters in the universe to be move than 5 hours from it....

Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM

319 posts, read 495,316 times
There are many places in the South where alot of Northern transplants congregate. Namely, Atlanta.
It's really quite difficult to find an actual southerner down there.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:23 PM

954 posts, read 4,381,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Can I guess? NYC.....love that place and wouldn't trade all the nice winters in the universe to be move than 5 hours from it....
You got it baby!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:31 PM

110 posts, read 394,582 times
I moved to NC from NJ and I can't wait to go back north again. I was at the big race on Sunday in Concord and there was a black man selling tickets to the race. He shouted "anyone need tickets?" A man shouted back to him "we need tickets- we don't need (insert n-word and add an "s"). I was mortified !!! Granted there are a lot of ugly people everywhere- but in terms of racism, it appears to be more alive down here.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:03 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,913,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiegirl16 View Post
I moved to NC from NJ and I can't wait to go back north again. I was at the big race on Sunday in Concord and there was a black man selling tickets to the race. He shouted "anyone need tickets?" A man shouted back to him "we need tickets- we don't need (insert n-word and add an "s"). I was mortified !!! Granted there are a lot of ugly people everywhere- but in terms of racism, it appears to be more alive down here.

YIKES... wow..do you think its the carolinas in general..or just the rural parts...what about raleigh where all the techies are or charlotte. Do you think this happens in a more cosmopolitan area like Atlanta?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:07 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,162,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
We see this on a smaller scale her in Richmond Va. People are moving into the outlying rural/farming counties building their oversized homes and thats fine. The problem begins when these new residents start complaining about their neighbors habits. To paraphrase some quotes from an editorial...

Don't complain about your neighbors dogs, they will always run loose and bark.

Don't complain about the old cars next door in the field they have been there since the Korean War.

Don't complain about the manure in your neighbors field, he does it 3 times a year.

Don't complain about "how far" it is to shop or do anything.

We don't mind you moving in but if you want paved roads, lights and conveniences then move to the neighborhoods in the west end.

What the author was trying to say is you moved out in the country for a reason, don't try to make it what you had/want.

Maybe this is part of the problem being from Ny originally I do complain about the lack of decent bread, bagels and pizza but I also have seen changes in the last 25 years and it's for the better. When people decide to move south maybe they should examine why they moved. Overall I have a better standard of living then I could in NY, for me it was a good choice. I hear about the "war" so what it's part of their culture like Columbus day or St Patricks was in NY. Heck when I was stationed in South Boston they didn't want you there unless you were white, Irish and live there for several generations.

I guess what i'm trying to say is every place has it's quirks and if it's not for you then don't move.
Something else I've noticed about Richmond is the number of inter-racial couples. On LI it was very rare but here it's no big thing.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 PM

185 posts, read 993,172 times

- this I don't get. there are leash laws. if you have a pet be responsible and if it runs loose at least keep it on your property. dog, cat, iguanna, I don't care. but if I wanted to pick up pet sh*t, I'd have a _____.

actually I do have pets. 5 cats. They stay inside the house and don't bother anyone. they don't run in other people's yards, leave presents in other people's gardens, or climb the neighbor's screen door (there are strays that do that). And when they do go outside to play or get groomed, they are on a leashes. No, they don't walk on a leash nicely like a dog, but I know they won't get loose, lost, or bother a neighbor.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,162,464 times
It's referring to the rural practice of not chaining a dog up. It's just different out there. Not bad, just different.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:59 AM

19,293 posts, read 17,174,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartian View Post

- this I don't get. there are leash laws. if you have a pet be responsible and if it runs loose at least keep it on your property. dog, cat, iguanna, I don't care. but if I wanted to pick up pet sh*t, I'd have a _____.

ClarkStreetKid is right, out in the country things are different. In our West End planned communities it's a crime to have a clothes line or even for your garbage cans to show but those that live there like it. Many I work with live out in the country and it's different but it's what they like.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 06-01-2007 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York