Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:12 PM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
The truth comes out.
I wasn't trying to hide it. I hate this liberal state. Clear enough? You're not "exposing" me. I make it VERY obvious as often as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Seriously, if you aren't happy with your life in NY you are free to move.
I actually am very happy, but that's partly because I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just milking my remaining time here for what it is worth. It also helps that I'm quite financially secure.

I'm not even remotely close to being a baby boomer for what it is worth. By most definitions of that generation, my parents aren't even a part of it. When I retire in 8 years, I'll only be 43, bazinga! Financial comfort and personal freedom at 43 is well worth staying here for the time being.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,473,596 times
I did leave New York once, back in the mid-90s. The transition to living in another area was difficult for me because I wasn't really familiar with the area that I moved to, and didn't know anyone there aside from my parents. It seemed to me like there was still a lot of discrimination against northerners by the locals there, and I found it difficult to find a good job. In retrospect, though, there were more things I could have done to find work and to make new friends. Instead, I chose the easy route and went back to what was familiar to me.... returning to Westchester, friends I already knew, and the exact job I had before I moved away.

People moving to another city or state can find it to be a difficult adjustment dealing with differences in climate, culture, etc. It can be difficult for people to live outside the comfort zone of what is familiar to them, and that may be why some people decide to come back to New York after moving someplace else. "Better the devil you know...." as the saying goes.

Having been back in New York now since 1999, I think I am ready to try living someplace else again.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:42 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I did leave New York once, back in the mid-90s. The transition to living in another area was difficult for me because I wasn't really familiar with the area that I moved to, and didn't know anyone there aside from my parents. It seemed to me like there was still a lot of discrimination against northerners by the locals there, and I found it difficult to find a good job. In retrospect, though, there were more things I could have done to find work and to make new friends. Instead, I chose the easy route and went back to what was familiar to me.... returning to Westchester, friends I already knew, and the exact job I had before I moved away.

People moving to another city or state can find it to be a difficult adjustment dealing with differences in climate, culture, etc. It can be difficult for people to live outside the comfort zone of what is familiar to them, and that may be why some people decide to come back to New York after moving someplace else. "Better the devil you know...." as the saying goes.

Having been back in New York now since 1999, I think I am ready to try living someplace else again.
May I recommend Charlotte, NC? I get a free toaster if you move there.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,473,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
May I recommend Charlotte, NC? I get a free toaster if you move there.
LOL..... Do I get one too if I move there? (just kidding)

Old 03-22-2015, 10:29 AM
d0n

7 posts, read 34,074 times
After living in Albany and then Troy for 15 years, we finally moved out of state to Atlanta Ga. in January of 2015. It took a long time to realize but we figured out that if we wanted to live comfortably both financially and figuratively, we could not do it in NY on a middle class income. We could not afford the nice 4 bdrm/2bth house on a large 3/4 acre lot with garages, swimming pool, built in BBQ, concrete driveway etc etc etc in NY state. Even if we could afford the down payment on that $350k- $375k home, we surely couldn't afford the $1000+ a month in property and school taxes.

So, we got tired of living in a lower to mid middle class home in Troy NY... knowing we could never afford the home we wanted and the toys (RV, boat, ATV, Motorcycles, nice vehicles) we wanted as we got older.

I wish we made the move to Ga 10 years ago! The 2660 sq ft 4bdrm/2bth home on 3/4 acre with 2 huge finished & heated garages, 30k gallon salt water swimming pool, 1200 gallon koi pond, stainless kitchen, wetbar w/icemaker and wine fridge (etc etc etc) we just bought here for $175k would easily cost $350k - $400k in the capital region of NY and the taxes would be $12k to $15k annually.

Our taxes are only $2500!

We get 218 days of sun a year compared to upstate NYs dismal weather. The roads aren't all potholes, the crime rate is lower... the only negative is Atlanta traffic is worse than Albany.

For us, it was a no-brainer to move out of NY if we wanted to live more comfortably. 45% of people in NY state don't work. They rely on you, the 55% who do get up every day and go to work, to pay for their lifestyle.

Move out of NY and raise your standard of living and your comfortability.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:52 PM

93,488 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0n View Post
After living in Albany and then Troy for 15 years, we finally moved out of state to Atlanta Ga. in January of 2015. It took a long time to realize but we figured out that if we wanted to live comfortably both financially and figuratively, we could not do it in NY on a middle class income. We could not afford the nice 4 bdrm/2bth house on a large 3/4 acre lot with garages, swimming pool, built in BBQ, concrete driveway etc etc etc in NY state. Even if we could afford the down payment on that $350k- $375k home, we surely couldn't afford the $1000+ a month in property and school taxes.

So, we got tired of living in a lower to mid middle class home in Troy NY... knowing we could never afford the home we wanted and the toys (RV, boat, ATV, Motorcycles, nice vehicles) we wanted as we got older.

I wish we made the move to Ga 10 years ago! The 2660 sq ft 4bdrm/2bth home on 3/4 acre with 2 huge finished & heated garages, 30k gallon salt water swimming pool, 1200 gallon koi pond, stainless kitchen, wetbar w/icemaker and wine fridge (etc etc etc) we just bought here for $175k would easily cost $350k - $400k in the capital region of NY and the taxes would be $12k to $15k annually.

Our taxes are only $2500!

We get 218 days of sun a year compared to upstate NYs dismal weather. The roads aren't all potholes, the crime rate is lower... the only negative is Atlanta traffic is worse than Albany.

For us, it was a no-brainer to move out of NY if we wanted to live more comfortably. 45% of people in NY state don't work. They rely on you, the 55% who do get up every day and go to work, to pay for their lifestyle.

Move out of NY and raise your standard of living and your comfortability.
Where did you get that 45% of people in NY State do not work statement from? Same for the lower crime rate.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where did you get that 45% of people in NY State do not work statement from? Same for the lower crime rate.
I think we all know where he's getting his "stats".

Old 03-25-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfufyu View Post
If so many people are unhappy with New York why are they still here?
I've asked this question over and over again, and all I get is really lame excuses, especially from the biggest complainers. If it's so great elsewhere and so bad in NY, you should be able to find a better job in whatever low tax, warm weather paradise you fancy -- and your family should be only to willing to move with you.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcghgj View Post
Because some people can't just pick up and move! Work for starters...also, each individual has their own story and reasons why they have not let YET!
There should be plenty of jobs in these warm weather, low tax paradises that all you unhappy New Yorkers want to move to, so why aren't you looking for a job there instead of bleating about how "bad" NY is on C-D?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:01 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,717,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfufyu View Post
If so many people are unhappy with New York why are they still here?
People are slowly moving out. If you exclude New York City, the rest of the state combined posted negative population growth again this year. Bigger absolute numbers than Detroit too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York