Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM

19,277 posts, read 17,151,373 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but your questionnaire reminds me of a Regents test in High School, too many questions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:52 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,831,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Excuse me, but CT is a "hard to beat" kind of state, at least in the opinion of myself and many other CT residents. So yes, it is a challenge to find a better place. CT is "just right" in so many ways. The only extreme thing about it is the cost of living, which varies greatly across the state, and is a nonissue if you make great money. So please stop accusing me of living in a bubble. I can't even begin to tell you how many people move from CT to some other "utopia" such as Florida or California and end up moving back later on.
Dude, I wasn't gonna rip into you, but now you really deserve it. You got people looking into Phoenix, Maine, Charlotte a few months ago, Texas, Florida and now Upstate? Then you chastise someone by saying that CT is "just right"? I read your posts and you complain about the angle of the sun in Maine and the fact that people like country music and have outdated clothes and beards in Upstate NY

You have no intention on moving anywhere. Grow a pair and move somewhere and stop complaining. If it works out, great. If not, you move back to CT. You have plenty of savings and if you want something bad enough, you'll make it work.

And PA is way better than CT. Philly is becoming an awesome city and the warmer South Jersey beaches are an hour away. Its cheaper than CT, has slightly warmer winters, and is anything but hick-like. If you were serious about moving, I'd recommend Philly to you based on what you want. But the bottom line is, if you wanted to move away you would have tried someplace by now.

PS- please don't respond that you moved to Charlotte. You didn't, so don't lie. I read your Charlotte posts and it sounded like a Hollywood description- completely stereotypical.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,981,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Why even post about looking to make a move if clearly you aren't? CT is pretty and all, but it's apparent you want to stay there so why are you wasting everyone else's time?

BTW across the sound is actually wayyyyy prettier than CT will ever be.
Yes, I like Long Island....it's beautiful! Not sure about being prettier than CT though. LI is very flat and looks like it belongs in South Carolina or something.

Anyway, I'm asking people about upstate/west NY because it's possible that it's better than CT, you know?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,405,983 times
Quote:
Yes, I like Long Island....it's beautiful! Not sure about being prettier than CT though. LI is very flat and looks like it belongs in South Carolina or something.

Anyway, I'm asking people about upstate/west NY because it's possible that it's better than CT, you know?
Well, whether it is or not, it doesn't seem like you want to move, so what's the point.

And LI is not SC. SC is too cookie-cutter and bible-belty for my liking. I like my malls opening @ 9am on Sundays, not 1pm. Plus, southern 'subdivisions', yuck!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,981,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well, whether it is or not, it doesn't seem like you want to move, so what's the point.

And LI is not SC. SC is too cookie-cutter and bible-belty for my liking. I like my malls opening @ 9am on Sundays, not 1pm. Plus, southern 'subdivisions', yuck!
I'm considering moving either this year or next year. CT is very expensive. I'm not sure how well CNY or WNY jobs pay though. For some reason, the Albany area doesn't really appeal to me.

LI reminds me of the South because it's flat and has a lot of divided highways.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 AM

93,683 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Quote:
I'm considering moving either this year or next year. CT is very expensive. I'm not sure how well CNY or WNY jobs pay though. For some reason, the Albany area doesn't really appeal to me.

LI reminds me of the South because it's flat and has a lot of divided highways.
Pay may be lower, but COL will be too. What kind of job and community would you be looking for, if you did move?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,831,462 times
Good places to live are expensive
If an area is cheap, there is usually a reason
laid back, non corporate places are gonna have some hicks, by their very definition
most of the warmer places in the US are gonna have some hillbillies (South, Southwest)
Pay will be low in a cheap place

With that said:
Philly is fairly cheap for a major city and has good wages. But again, the best places to live are gonna cost ya.
Raleigh NC is awesome but wages aren't that great. Its affordable and warm though.

If I were the OP I'd check out the Washington DC metro area. To me, its a decent combination of being more laid back than Boston or NYC, but not as provincial or "rednecky" as Upstate NY. Its close enough to his family for weekend trips, thus alleviating using vacation time. Virginia is a coastal state and the summers are long and hot, winters cold but not with bone chilling cold or snow. It appears to be a gay friendly area. Its technically the South but no one will stab you for wearing a Patriots jersey.

Some areas aren't that super expensive like Fredricksburg, Stafford, Prince William, or Faquier County. Taxes are low and its booming right now. Its business friendly state so starting your own business is good there. Gas is cheaper. The topography is nice, as the area is mostly treed and rolling hills begin just to the southwest of DC. It basically ticks off all of the OP's boxes.

I'd like to head back South in a year or two, and VA and NC are my top two states for good living with coastal access, at a decent price.

Last edited by VintageSunlight; 01-22-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 AM

93,683 posts, read 124,432,072 times
^ Given what the OP has said in the past, I don't think the South will work outside of a few cities/areas. That's if he is really going to move.

As for Upstate NY, I'd say that certain suburbs and city neighborhoods would work for you, nep. There are areas of these metros that get people from all over and that are fine living in the area. This can go for small towns up here as well, if you know where to look. Overall cost of living will be on par with VA and NC, as will pay, ironically. As for average annual income in Upstate NY, according to the latest information I could find, Albany, Ithaca, Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo is the order in terms of the top 5 in that regard and in that order. That may give you an idea in terms of pay, if you are serious about moving up here.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM

8,081 posts, read 10,102,622 times
OP....there is a poll on the tickets they give you on the NY Thruway as you travel west from Albany. It asks if YOU would be happy living in each of the towns where there is a Thruway exit. Overwhelmingly, folks voted that you would not be happy in NY and should stay in Connecticut. Can't get much better feedback than that!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,805,595 times
In terms of radio listening, the Thruway cities typically have a couple of NPR affiliates (maybe one more newsy or jazzy and the other more classical music), several rock-ish stations, maybe a couple of country stations and some religious. In Buffalo (and if you try hard enough Rochester and Syracuse) you can also get Canadian radio. It's definitely not the type of area where you only find country and religious on scanning the dial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York