Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 04:25 PM

93,559 posts, read 124,263,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Could also depend on where the op is coming from.
Potential culture shock on a biblical level.
It’s a wonderful area, but it’s not for everyone. Living rural and running a farm, hobby or otherwise seems great in a dream bubble floating over your head but the reality could be very different. Just saying.
Good point and as someone that lived nearby, it can get quite cold and very snowy in parts during the winter. So, there are things to consider if making the move there.

To kitty, once you get to the Thousand Islands, the Canadian border is essentially right there. I haven’t done this yet, but I want to take the ferry from Cape Vincent to Kingston Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 10:40 AM

Here are some listings in Lewis County: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ty_NY?view=map

Old 09-15-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yup and a place like Lowville/Lewis County could appeal to those that want a rural area, like winter sports/activities, a quiet/safe environment, while not being too secluded. Personally, I would would probably look into part of the county in the Carthage SD, which puts you closer to shopping and if diversity is something that is a part of one's criteria, the SD is decent in that regard.

Another indicator of the affordability of land is the Amish/Mennonite presence.
Something like this kind of fits what I'm referring to as it is in that SD: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M35739-84205

District information: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000051113
https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000051113
https://www.carthagecsd.org/
A picture of the HS Football team from a few years ago: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...n-over-auburn-

You can do some shopping in Lowville, on Route 11 near Fort Drum or on the Arsenal Street strip in Watertown.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-15-2022 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-15-2022, 03:19 PM

20,093 posts, read 20,897,502 times
Quote:
Here are some listings in Lewis County: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ty_NY?view=map
I also went and checked listings the other night just out of curiosity.
Some real bang for your buck. Especially if you’re not afraid to put in some sweat equity.
Taxes are very, very reasonable. I mean, the land of the Cheap, Florida, doesn’t even have taxes vs property for that value. But, I guess it comes down to if you want to live in “flyover country” as some of the more refined and cultured would call it.

Old 09-15-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I also went and checked listings the other night just out of curiosity.
Some real bang for your buck. Especially if you’re not afraid to put in some sweat equity.
Taxes are very, very reasonable. I mean, the land of the Cheap, Florida, doesn’t even have taxes vs property for that value. But, I guess it comes down to if you want to live in “flyover country” as some of the more refined and cultured would call it.
Exactly and you get a lot of land in relation to the price for many of the properties. It does look like the property tax rates are generally under 2%, if not under 1.5%.

Old 09-15-2022, 05:01 PM

20,093 posts, read 20,897,502 times
Quote:
Exactly and you get a lot of land in relation to the price for many of the properties. It does look like the property tax rates are generally under 2%, if not under 1.5%.
Lol
We should shut up before we have Lewis County overloaded with hipsters and city transplants!

Old 09-16-2022, 06:48 AM

^True, but I'd say that Lowville and maybe other places like Copenhagen, Croghan/Beaver Falls, Castorland and the South Lewis villages(Turin, Lyons Falls and Constableville) would get any consideration due to being villages or hamlets with some degree of walkable infrastructure/commerce.

Lowville is big enough to where I could see some people considering it. Perhaps the South Lewis communities due to skiing in the area here: https://snowridge.com/ and nearby in the Adirondacks, as well as being closer to Utica and Rome for shopping(still about a 35-40 minute drive). Good area if you like snowmobiling, as the Tug Hill area west of Lowville has a lot of trails. Good if you like to fish and hunt as well.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:53 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,928,808 times
This is really interesting. Three times now my GPS has taken me through Lowville when I was returning from Ontario and heading toward Albany.

I am in Canada on an extension for now, but as an American, I won't be able to stay forever. My plan was always to bail out of New Jersey and head north, probably staying in New York since I get a NYS pension and it's not subject to state tax, but along the way I ended up going further north.

I'm too old to be a hipster. I grew up in a semi-rural small north Jersey town that became overrun with city transplants when I was growing up and became part of suburban sprawl, then I worked in the city all my life, moving to the Jersey shore area twelve years ago. I ended up in a late-life relationship with a Canadian, and the plan was to come up here and live at his rural home on a lake, but he is sick now and sooner or later I will have to return to the states.

I am done with the city and prefer to continue in a small-town or rural area, returning to my roots. I likely will always want to return to Ontario to visit, and I like winter, so a place like Lowville looked good to me. I will look into it further, of course, but it's interesting that I am not the only one whose eye was caught by this place.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is really interesting. Three times now my GPS has taken me through Lowville when I was returning from Ontario and heading toward Albany.

I am in Canada on an extension for now, but as an American, I won't be able to stay forever. My plan was always to bail out of New Jersey and head north, probably staying in New York since I get a NYS pension and it's not subject to state tax, but along the way I ended up going further north.

I'm too old to be a hipster. I grew up in a semi-rural small north Jersey town that became overrun with city transplants when I was growing up and became part of suburban sprawl, then I worked in the city all my life, moving to the Jersey shore area twelve years ago. I ended up in a late-life relationship with a Canadian, and the plan was to come up here and live at his rural home on a lake, but he is sick now and sooner or later I will have to return to the states.

I am done with the city and prefer to continue in a small-town or rural area, returning to my roots. I likely will always want to return to Ontario to visit, and I like winter, so a place like Lowville looked good to me. I will look into it further, of course, but it's interesting that I am not the only one whose eye was caught by this place.
Given what you are looking for, I would say to strongly consider it. The times I’ve been there and the people I’ve meet from there are friendly. You may run into military families, dairy farmers and Mennonites(if you run into someone with the last name of say Zehr or Widrick, they may be Mennonite). I mentioned Mennonites earlier, because many came to Upstate NY for (check this out) more affordable land. So, that may be something to keep in mind.

A portion of the county is also within the Adirondack Park, where you can lakeside property. I’m going to stop after this in terms of dropping some inside information, but Brantingham Lake is in the county and Adirondack Park. It is known for its rental properties, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some that live there all year.

Not on a lake, but in the Adirondack Park portion of the county: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M42448-77159

So, Lewis County could work for a wide range of people looking for land and/or relatively affordable properties with lower property taxes.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-16-2022 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 04:09 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Given what you are looking for, I would say to strongly consider it. The times I’ve been there and the people I’ve meet from there are friendly. You may run into military families, dairy farmers and Mennonites(if you run into someone with the last name of say Zehr or Widrick, they may be Mennonite). I mentioned Mennonites earlier, because many came to Upstate NY for (check this out) more affordable land. So, that may be something to keep in mind.

A portion of the county is also within the Adirondack Park, where you can lakeside property. I’m going to stop after this in terms of dropping some inside information, but Brantingham Lake is in the county and Adirondack Park. It is known for its rental properties, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some that live there all year.

Not on a lake, but in the Adirondack Park portion of the county: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M42448-77159

So, Lewis County could work for a wide range of people looking for land and/or relatively affordable properties with lower property taxes.
Where I am in Ontario right now, there are Mennonites all over the place. I pass Mennonite farms on the way here, as well as a Mennonite furniture maker. The largest farm market in the nearby town is owned and run by Mennonites. They walk through town in their long dresses just like normal people! They don't scare me.

Thank you for the information. This is for the future, not immediately, but I have time to research and look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York