Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 AM

19,232 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know about union, but considering the stronger requirement to have a Master's degree to teach still plays a part as to why school taxes are the way they are here. Then, factor in the administrators for each district. That starts to add up.
A very valid point! But as I said in an earleir post paying more does not ensure better quality ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 02:59 PM

93,446 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
A very valid point! But as I said in an earleir post paying more does not ensure better quality ...
I don't think anyone has said that, but I think people have to pay accordingly. You might find this interesting: The states with the best and worst schools - Yahoo! Homes

Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,897 times
The nearly 7% state income tax in NY to the 3.6% I pay in Arizona funds some vacations in itself.....I could opt for 2.7% if I want but don't want to owe. I owed NY State every year paying double what I do here which I got a refund first full year in AZ. Why would someone with the financial means to move subject themselves to NY State gauging ?

CKHThankgod. Just went in the So Cal Pacific this weekend from San Diego on up to Huntington Beach. Yet, you sit there with one of the most polluted lakes in the country advocating Upstate NY. What are you gonna say, Onondaga Lake is safe to swim in ? High taxes and a polluted turquoise lake with waste as a backdrop to Syracuse. Wow.

Onondaga Lake

People have left your neck of the woods for modern 21st century living. Not looking at 100 year old homes and boarded up factories with inflated income and property taxes. Good luck trying to live up to Cuomo's name when you run in 2016 once again !

Last edited by magnum0417; 03-17-2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
The nearly 7% state income tax in NY to the 3.6% I pay in Arizona funds some vacations in itself.....I could opt for 2.7% if I want but don't want to owe. I owed NY State every year paying double what I do here which I got a refund first full year in AZ. Why would someone with the financial means to move subject themselves to NY State gauging ?

CKHThankgod. Just went in the So Cal Pacific this weekend from San Diego on up to Huntington Beach. Yet, you sit there with one of the most polluted lakes in the country advocating Upstate NY. What are you gonna say, Onondaga Lake is safe to swim in ? High taxes and a polluted turquoise lake with waste as a backdrop to Syracuse. Wow.

Onondaga Lake

People have left your neck of the woods for modern 21st century living. Not looking at 100 year old homes and boarded up factories with inflated income and property taxes. Good luck trying to live up to Cuomo's name when you run in 2016 once again !
Onondaga is the anomaly of lakes, here. Skaneateles Lake, the one the City of Syracuse uses for its drinking water, is one of the cleanest lakes in the world. It is one of only a few large bodies of water in the nation that is approved for drinking straight.

Onondaga Lake has been known to be heavily polluted for at least 100 years. What do you expect, when metals companies drained their waste into it for decades? There is aggressive action being taken, to clean it. That lake is not typical for the area.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,548,157 times
I got to agree with Magnum, NY sucks. I can't wait to get out of this ****hole.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Onondaga is the anomaly of lakes, here. Skaneateles Lake, the one the City of Syracuse uses for its drinking water, is one of the cleanest lakes in the world. It is one of only a few large bodies of water in the nation that is approved for drinking straight.

Onondaga Lake has been known to be heavily polluted for at least 100 years. What do you expect, when metals companies drained their waste into it for decades? There is aggressive action being taken, to clean it. That lake is not typical for the area.
Exactly and if people look at any industrial area, you will find some sort of pollution. I guess the clean up of Onondaga Lake just gets overlooked: Syracuse Area Remediation Progress - Home

Also, people seem to overlook Skaneateles Lake, which is clean and the great amount of fresh water that is in this area.

Also, I believe that Phoenix has some of the worst air pollution in the country. So, I don't think it is an issue exclusive to NY State.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM

19,232 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think anyone has said that, but I think people have to pay accordingly. You might find this interesting: The states with the best and worst schools - Yahoo! Homes
I did find it interesting, it appears Va is one position below NY but at only 60% of the cost per student. I guess the additonal $6000 plus doesn't make that big a difference.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I did find it interesting, it appears Va is one position below NY but at only 60% of the cost per student. I guess the additonal $6000 plus doesn't make that big a difference.
Keep in mind that the cost will vary and Northern VA may be on par with some Downstate NY areas in that regard. That's the tough thing with averages for states, as they vary in terms of costs. I could be wrong though. This doesn't get into the higher percentage of ESL students, most likely, among other potential factors.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-18-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I got to agree with Magnum, NY sucks. I can't wait to get out of this ****hole.
Moving costs $5000 cross country generally speaking through United Van Lines for an average amount of stuff for them to load. Depends on weight to determine price . Way better than renting a Penske and paying gas every 50 miles considering it's such a gas guzzler.

Plenty of solid states with nicer weather and tax breaks than NY State. It's an absolute joke that NY justifies almost 7% in income taxes. For what ? Where is it going ? California which I love for vacations has even higher income taxes than NY. However, property taxes are lower in 48 of the 50 states per value of one's home. Only state with worse property taxes is New Jersey which is dead last for taxes/value of home ratio. California atleast can justify their taxes for year around beaches to swim in and umpteen geographical and climate zones to make everyone's hobbies happy. NY. Deciduous trees, beaches in LI for a few months and some modest mountains. Wow. NY City is cool to visit and grow up around (lived an hour away as a kid). However, you couldn't pay me to live there as a taxpaying adult.Upstate is just old decaying relics stuck in the 1970's. Buffalo, Rochester,Syracuse, Utica, Albany, you name it. Rust Belt towns with aging architecture that is just uncool and unclean. I suppose if you are some stubborn baby boomer, you'll be in denial until you die that Upstate is acceptable. The Gen Xers with a brain have said goodbye. Sick of your taxes and lousy weather !

Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,548,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Moving costs $5000 cross country generally speaking through United Van Lines for an average amount of stuff for them to load. Depends on weight to determine price . Way better than renting a Penske and paying gas every 50 miles considering it's such a gas guzzler.

Plenty of solid states with nicer weather and tax breaks than NY State. It's an absolute joke that NY justifies almost 7% in income taxes. For what ? Where is it going ? California which I love for vacations has even higher income taxes than NY. However, property taxes are lower in 48 of the 50 states per value of one's home. Only state with worse property taxes is New Jersey which is dead last for taxes/value of home ratio. California atleast can justify their taxes for year around beaches to swim in and umpteen geographical and climate zones to make everyone's hobbies happy. NY. Deciduous trees, beaches in LI for a few months and some modest mountains. Wow. NY City is cool to visit and grow up around (lived an hour away as a kid). However, you couldn't pay me to live there as a taxpaying adult.Upstate is just old decaying relics stuck in the 1970's. Buffalo, Rochester,Syracuse, Utica, Albany, you name it. Rust Belt towns with aging architecture that is just uncool and unclean. I suppose if you are some stubborn baby boomer, you'll be in denial until you die that Upstate is acceptable. The Gen Xers with a brain have said goodbye. Sick of your taxes and lousy weather !

I havw to agree. NY is just an illusion. Taxes are killing families. Housing sucks. Quality of life is not great due to the high cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York