Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:55 PM

39 posts, read 200,153 times

Advertisements

My daughter is considering Plattsburgh state as a college and I have been reading in their newspaper (The Press Republican) about issues with the students and the locals. Reports of drunken students vandalizing and being rowdy to the point of the mayor, college administrators and police needed to meet with community leaders about solutions. Is it typical college town behavior? Is it hype? Is it a real problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 05:15 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,725,614 times
No more trouble than any other college town. Unless you send your kid to a nerdy tech school where people don't leave their dorms, you'll run into rowdy behavior.
I went to Plattsburgh and things got out of hand at times, but no more than any other place.
There were some incidents with locals and students but I've told it was way worse when the Air Force base was there.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM

641 posts, read 2,014,542 times
I went to college in the north country as well...college shenaigans are function of the weather.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 PM

Dude it's September! LOL

Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM

518 posts, read 2,015,057 times
Post SUNY Plattsburgh.........

Just wanted to say that this town is getting tougher on college kids. Some other areas may not be as stringent regarding noise laws, parties, alcohol. There have been problems in the past but we have a new mayor and there were substantially more police patrols this past weekend than ever before.......Having said all of that, the college is within walking distance of downtown where all of the student clubs and hangouts are.........I know because I have a 21 year old whose friends attended Pburgh..........It's a nice area and safe. No big city crime to worry about........

Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM

The Press Republican has an editorial about the college kids again today (09-07-07). It seems like a BIG topic in Plattsburgh. I am just concerned about sending my kid to a college so far away (we're from Long Island) and spending all the money for tuition that appears to be having some problems.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 AM

Don't listen to editorials. They don't really give the whole picture. Its not as bad as some people like to make it out to be.
If you are referring to the "bigger hammer" article, I would not worry. Rowdy behavior in a bar strip area is common with every college town. Unless you home school your kid, he/she will run into this atmosphere while at school.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:54 AM

I totally understand that any college is going to have these types of kids who go wild on occasion, I have just be concerned with the amount of press coverage in Plattsburgh. Perhaps these issues are BIG news in small town Plattsburgh?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 AM

A big part of that town is the college so you're going to see lots of college coverage in the papers. Try not to let it bother you. Also keep in mind that there are those locals out there that will hate the college kids no matter what, so they will try to create problems that don't exist or are minor.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 AM

160 posts, read 565,103 times
IMHO: A lot of the "crackdown" is hype. The new mayor likes to portray himself as a tough guy, and right now gets VERY favorable (the word fawning comes to mind) coverage in the paper. There are issues if you're a homeowner (not so much if you're a student), but from what I understand, the downtown/Center City area has actually calmed down a lot from 10-20 years ago.
And FYI, test scores and the quality of student has gone up significantly the last five years. PSU is attracting better and better students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: