Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 AM

105 posts, read 203,874 times

Advertisements

I just got out of college. I'm looking for a job. I live in fl but want to move to NY. I think its the best thing for a career. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 AM

205 posts, read 390,579 times
I want to move to NY too! Let me know what you find out! I have my eyes set on plattsburgh, hoping my fiancee gets accepted into SUNY!!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 AM

94,259 posts, read 125,148,830 times
It will depend on many factors like where in NY you are looking into, education, skills, experience and so on. This could help: Central New York Jobs

Upstate New York Real Estate

Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide
MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 10-02-2011, 03:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,285,877 times
Snowplow drivers in Florida are in low demand.

Experts on palm trees starve in NY.

Everything else will fall somewhere in between.

You'll need a pocket full of cash to live here. I was just reading about a 3500sq/ft house in Maryland selling for 450K and the guy had to walk away because of the taxes(4K a year)and of coarse other things. A house just about like it up here is selling for 400K but the taxes are over 10K. Just the difference in taxes pays the difference in price plus puts 130K cash in your pocket on a 30 year note.

Assuming your young think what that extra hundred grand would be like in your 401K.

Or give it to Albany to "invest" for you.

EDIT- I just looked up the exact two house instead of here-say. The difference is actually 4K a year so 120K total. In my World 120K is real money but maybe to you its just walking around money.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M69808-76040

http://www.kaysteam.com/Oneida_NY_li...BF9F6B9A.shtml

Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,554,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

You'll need a pocket full of cash to live here. I was just reading about a 3500sq/ft house in Maryland selling for 450K and the guy had to walk away because of the taxes(4K a year)and of coarse other things. A house just about like it up here is selling for 400K but the taxes are over 10K. Just the difference in taxes pays the difference in price plus puts 130K cash in your pocket on a 30 year note.

You need to get a clue before you post nonsense like this as its not even close to an apples to apples comparison. As someone who grew up in Maryland I can tell you that just about anywhere in the Baltimore/DC area you will be hard pressed top find much of anything for under $300K while its very common to find decent homes under $150K across upstate NY. In all likelihood paying $400K for a house is a necessity in much of Maryland but its not in Upstate NY. If you have the money to buy a $400K home in Upstate NY you should have the money for the taxes if not then you're an idiot for buying a house that expensive when you can easily get something very nice for 1/2 the price (something you can't do in most of Maryland) ................ now feel free to re-bury your head in the sand & continue to telly yourself how much better it is anywhere but NY.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:06 PM

Because there is no way you could, you know, well, like click the links to the actual houses in question or anything.

Then like you know, like take the training wheels off the innernet and look at the actual taxes or anything crazy like that.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,554,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Because there is no way you could, you know, well, like click the links to the actual houses in question or anything.

Then like you know, like take the training wheels off the innernet and look at the actual taxes or anything crazy like that.
That's because your link has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. Yes taxes are higher in NY, I never claimed they weren't. The problem with your post was that you are comparing a $400K home in MD with a $400K home in NY which is absolutely ridiculous since you can get a whole lot of house in NY for under $200K (so there is no reason to buy a $400K home & pay those outrageous taxes to begin with). I can get a nice 3br colonial built within the last 10 years out here in suburban Buffalo for under $150K all day long ...... you're not going to find that in the nicer suburbs of DC or Baltimore.

As far as "take the training wheels off the innernet" maybe you should learn how to spell INTERNET before giving others suggestions?

Aren't you the guy who is always complaining about how Oneida is some crime filled town? Go live in Baltimore (or as the locals call it Bodymore, Murderland) ...... then tell me about crime in Oneida.

Last edited by jblake78728; 10-02-2011 at 05:24 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,545,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
That's because your link has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. Yes taxes are higher in NY, I never claimed they weren't. The problem with your post was that you are comparing a $400K home in MD with a $400K home in NY which is absolutely ridiculous since you can get a whole lot of house in NY for under $200K (so there is no reason to buy a $400K home & pay those outrageous taxes to begin with). I can get a nice 3br colonial built within the last 10 years out here in suburban Buffalo for under $150K all day long ...... you're not going to find that in the nicer suburbs of DC or Baltimore.

As far as "take the training wheels off the innernet" maybe you should learn how to spell INTERNET before giving others suggestions?

Aren't you the guys who is always complaining about how Oneida is some crime filled town? Go live in Baltimore (or as the locals call it Bodymore, Murderland) ...... then tell me about crime in Oneida.
Take everything Sean says with a grain of salt. He hates NY and will do anything to convince everyone else that it is the worst state ever. He's normally stationed in the Syracuse forum, so we hear this stuff from him all too often.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 PM

The house just to the right is on the market for 200K.

Its a pretty quiet area. The seller of the 450K home is the friend of a friend. Its a very nice area.

In this area you ain't gonna touch anything built in the last 10 years in a nice area (kinda one in the same really) for under a quarter million with many going higher. I can also buy houses under 50K all day. Does the OP wanna nice house or next to a meth lab?? Nice houses in NY cost as much as anywhere else PLUS have higher taxes.

Next I shall call it the innerweb. Actually I think I won't. Your very excitable so I shall move on. Goodbye, I really do wish you all the best, regards, Sean.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Take everything Sean says with a grain of salt. He hates NY and will do anything to convince everyone else that it is the worst state ever. He's normally stationed in the Syracuse forum, so we hear this stuff from him all too often.

Now this makes me sad

Your one of the kewl ones here.

For you I will make an effort to be less abrasive. It will take time so be patient.

I actually really have been trying. You haven't noticed?? Must try harder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York