Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 6,287 times

Advertisements

was wondering the same thing! fingers crossed it's the last time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 11:59 AM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpva View Post
Is it just me or do they keep extending this lottery? I could have sworn the end date was Jan 29th and now it's Feb 5th. Does that happen or am I just imagining things?
No they definitely extended it! I keep a spreadsheet of the lotteries i apply to along with my log number, date I applied, and date the lottery closed and I have January 29th down as the closing date for this one. So you're not imagining things lol

Old 01-30-2024, 02:35 PM

13 posts, read 9,191 times
Why do they extend it-that is not very fair to the people who applied already-

Old 01-30-2024, 06:20 PM

96 posts, read 61,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house3240 View Post
Good point and on top of that you ask a fair question and the only logical reasons, I could think of is the first close date was a data entry error or they decided to extend the date for one reason or another and not explain why because they can.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:32 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
It makes no difference because the logs are randomly generated after the application period closes. Everyone has an equal chance of getting a low or high log #.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I have no clue! Sometimes it make me wonder if it's because a lottery hasn't garnered as many applications as usual but we'll never really find out!

Old 01-30-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHERTHAN View Post
Good point and on top of that you ask a fair question and the only logical reasons, I could think of is the first close date was a data entry error or they decided to extend the date for one reason or another and not explain why because they can.
You're spot on about them doing it for one reason or another and giving no explanations just because they can! Inquiring about their internal procedures often gets you no insight on the exceptions that occur in their process from time to time.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:01 PM

96 posts, read 61,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
It makes no difference because the logs are randomly generated after the application period closes. Everyone has an equal chance of getting a low or high log #.
It does make a difference when the lottery is extended …
The more people applying the higher your odds become to win said lottery albeit it may a small percentage point , it still means higher odds. Less people applying the lower the odds for said individual who applied.

For those who already been lucky enough to win a unit already it matters less than to those who haven’t won a unit and is very anxious to win .

If that makes sense .

Old 01-30-2024, 10:38 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
It's possible that there may have been some short-lived technical issue with accepting applications for this particular development that meant that they felt they needed to extend the deadline to provide a fair chance for people to apply. Or someone may have gotten the appropriate closing date wrong either while calculating it or while entering it into HC.

Old 01-31-2024, 05:51 AM

5 posts, read 6,287 times
I noticed that a few of the other buildings I had applied to that also had a January 29 deadline were also extended to February 5 so it seems like it may have been more of a larger housing connect error. Who knows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery