Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:09 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,964,279 times

Advertisements

One of New Hampshire's best features are the CO-OP and Dairy Stores, as New Hampshire has many wonderful dairy Farms throughout the state but most of them are around the the Connecticut River Valley on the western side and along the Merrimack River Valley in the center of the state.

I know many people today including me, do not drink as much whole milk and use as many dairy products as we did when we were growing up during the 50's and 60's. I personally love a very cold glass of whole milk! But my cholesterol seems to like it as well! In fact if I just drink one 8 oz glass if whole milk I would probably gain 2 pounds! Figure That!

But my question is or statement has to do with these great Dairy stores and the CO-Op Food Stores which Show Case our great New Hampshire Dair Industry as well as 4H program advertisements. I do know that Nashua has a great dairy store.

Does anyone know of others which they personally patronize? Valerie? Do you know of any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,453,005 times
I'm not big on dairy, and especially not fond of milk but do have a family to feed. I don't have any knowledge of Dairy/Coop stores but would like to know more about the dairy store in Nashua, Comet. Where is it and what's the advantage of buying dairy products there?
Sorry to stall your question with another question. I'm sure our knowledgeable board members will make the recommendations you're looking for!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Dairy Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
I'm not big on dairy, and especially not fond of milk but do have a family to feed. I don't have any knowledge of Dairy/Coop stores but would like to know more about the dairy store in Nashua, Comet. Where is it and what's the advantage of buying dairy products there?
Sorry to stall your question with another question. I'm sure our knowledgeable board members will make the recommendations you're looking for!
The Dairy Store in Nashua actually also has some gas pumps in front of it and looks like a convenience store so it really does not have that quaint look.

In Haverhill there is a True Dairy Store called Hatchland Dairy! I think that is more in line of what a true dairy store is supposed to be. Also McNamara Dairy in West Lebanon has a good Diary as well!!!

What is good about Dairy Stores is that mostly all of them offer Organic Dairy Products without any hormones or antibiotics. If that is not your speed then they usually also have regular non organic products.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,075 times
I grew up in the Upper Connecticut Valley in New Hampshire. One of my lingering memories of childhood is drinking ice cold chocolate milk from half pint glass bottles. This would be in the fifties and early sixties. The milk of course was from the Connecticut Valley Dairy on Main St. in Lancaster.
There was a true dairy bar as well, any dairy product available then (hmmm was yogurt invented then, lol) cash and carry. Milk always in glass bottles, ice cream in metal rimmed waxed cardboard containers....... It was one of the centers of the universe, well that and the Merrimack Farmers Exchange, which was in rock throwing distance from the dairy. Oh yeah, can't forget the home delivery of Cushmans Bread.
There were no additives, preservatives, growth hormone's etc in the milk and bread then, just pure whole milk and freshly baked/delivered bread, which of course had to be used in a few days....because there were no preservatives.
Hmmm think I'll go make some chocolate milk.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:02 AM

MMMMM! Sounds good! I buy organic milk/yogurt whenever possible - Stonyfield Farm nearly 100% of the time. It's disgusting that our dairy and meats are loaded up with hormones and antibiotics. I was fortunate enough to have a real dairy in my hometown on LI. It was a highlight of the town, but with 'progress' it was replaced with a strip mall long ago. Supporting local dairys is a good thing. Guess I asked a silly question!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 AM

92 posts, read 242,521 times
Quote:
MMMMM! Sounds good! I buy organic milk/yogurt whenever possible - Stonyfield Farm nearly 100% of the time. It's disgusting that our dairy and meats are loaded up with hormones and antibiotics. I was fortunate enough to have a real dairy in my hometown on LI. It was a highlight of the town, but with 'progress' it was replaced with a strip mall long ago. Supporting local dairys is a good thing. Guess I asked a silly question!

some might call that progress but I wouldn't.

Right now we have a very arrogant ignorant contractor to all the neighbours down the road ripping up the trees, fields, tracks etc.
The wildlife have been forced out we've seen roosters,tortoises,rabbit's armadillo's,deer etc etc plus the noise, pollution etc etc.

The contractor called it progress.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 AM

Exactly, Proud! That's why I used the quotes ('progress') as in, NOT!!
I'm sorry to hear about what's going on by you and don't consider it progress at all.
It's extremely sad.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:10 AM

Default Everything was organic when I was a kid!

Quote:
Hi Lisa!

I grew up right next door to a dairy farm and when I was a kid, they did not call it organic because everything was. No Antibiotics, no steroids and no chemical sprays! It went right from the farm to the dairy! I loved ice cold milk with my meal! Do you remember in New York State where they had the Woodstock Festival? That was Max Yasger's dairy Farm and we got our milk from his farm!

In the Connecticut Valley of NH there are still some very good Dairy Farms and they produce a lot of organic products as well!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:44 AM

Yes, Comet, I've been up to that area of NY, maybe 30 yrs ago. Hopefully it's still as nice now.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:24 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,551 times
Comet and Lisa - We lived near that area before moving to NH - at that time it was still pretty nice. I *think* that was actually Bethel, not sure why they called it the Woodstock Festival. The town/village of Woodstock was one of my favorite places to spend a day - so many "quirky" people around and always a lot of fun

Going back to Co-Ops, it looks like ours in Littleton is going through - I can't wait to check it out!
Littleton Consumer Cooperative Society, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire