Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 10:17 AM

777 posts, read 503,312 times

Advertisements

Howdy, ya'll! I've been a boat owner pretty much my entire life. My parents had boats, I was a marine engineer in the Army during the 'Nam era, and had several sailboats, from a 16 foot Windmill to a 40 foot Beneteau, when I lived in SoCal, where the sailing was spectacular. Now, here in Tay-Has, there's a nice little lake nearby. I have an idea for a small trimaran built from PVC piping. I am seeking advice, ideas, commentary, comments, any and all things DIY boatbuilding. I've seen most of what YouTube has to offer but am still curious, so if you have something to contribute, feel free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 01:33 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
The only thing that I would get out of that is the crafting… and if it works.

I would much rather buy an optimist dingy and have some real “spirted” sailing- and if there’s not already a club maybe you could start one! There’s nothing better than a little competition!

* currently sailing/living a Lagoon 420

Old 02-22-2024, 02:10 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I have an idea for a small trimaran built from PVC piping. I am seeking advice, ideas, commentary, comments, any and all things DIY boatbuilding.
A friend of mine built a trimaran; are you against using a kit for a better, well-tested design?

Old 02-26-2024, 06:00 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Howdy, ya'll! I've been a boat owner pretty much my entire life. My parents had boats, I was a marine engineer in the Army during the 'Nam era, and had several sailboats, from a 16 foot Windmill to a 40 foot Beneteau, when I lived in SoCal, where the sailing was spectacular. Now, here in Tay-Has, there's a nice little lake nearby. I have an idea for a small trimaran built from PVC piping. I am seeking advice, ideas, commentary, comments, any and all things DIY boatbuilding. I've seen most of what YouTube has to offer but am still curious, so if you have something to contribute, feel free!
Don't know where *"Tay-Has"* is, but you might visit Oceanside's Harbor Days for their infamous "Nail 'n Sail" competition. 90 minutes to create a sailboat using hand tools and plywood.

*Searched and came up with "Texan-Yankee on a shirt."

If you're going to use PVC, then I'd suggest filling the voids with foam insulation. It should help float, should there be a failure at a joint. (I'd use "P & C" as it's much lighter than Sched. 40.)

If your lake isn't considered "navigable waters" then I suppose you can do anything you want. As long as it doesn't pollute the water, that is.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:41 AM

10,823 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Don't know where *"Tay-Has"*

It is the spanish pronunciation of Texas AND the name of a ZZTop album.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Now, here in Tay-Has, there's a nice little lake nearby.
Quote:
Don't know where *"Tay-Has"* is
I just assumed it was the OP’s personal nickname/reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
The ZZ Top album is ‘Tejas’. I certainly wouldn’t have thought of Texas relative to nice lakes. Kidding. ;-)

Old 02-29-2024, 07:16 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Ever notice that ALL the music by ZZTop sounds the same? Oh sure, they jumble up the lyrics, but the music is the same...

Now, back to motorcycles.

Triumph has a recall campaign with NHTSA.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:12 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Ever notice that ALL the music by ZZTop sounds the same? Oh sure, they jumble up the lyrics, but the music is the same...
Fifty one years doing the same job. Give 'em some credit!

Between them and Rush, I don't know who wins more for endurance.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:48 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I have known some guys building their own boats - most have used "stitch and glue" construction.

Chesapeake Light Craft is one of the big sellers of plans and kits:
https://www.clcboats.com/

https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits

https://duckworks.com/boat-plans-kit...ilboats-14-up/

https://www.chase-small-craft.com/

https://www.glen-l.com/Boat-Plans-Ki...departments/2/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-01-2024 at 03:16 AM..

Old 03-01-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Chesapeake Light Craft is one of the big sellers of plans and kits:
Yeah, my friend has the W17; you can order (just) the plans from Small Trimaran Design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles