Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 03:11 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-lowe...ecruiting-woes

I have a personal reason why I’m not upset about these changes. When my dad enlisted in the Navy in 1964 he was a school dropout. It was while in the Navy that he earned his GED. He was discharged after getting blinded in one eye on the flightdeck, when he retired from Halliburton he had worked his way up from the bottom, management, and became the trainer for new software. He worked with AutoCad drafting tools and equipment for work. The opportunity given to him in the Navy helped to propel him in a career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 05:09 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

I have a personal reason why I’m not upset about these changes. When my dad enlisted in the Navy in 1964 he was a school dropout. It was while in the Navy that he earned his GED. He was discharged after getting blinded in one eye on the flightdeck, when he retired from Halliburton he had worked his way up from the bottom, management, and became the trainer for new software. He worked with AutoCad drafting tools and equipment for work. The opportunity given to him in the Navy helped to propel him in a career.
These lowering standards are probably due to difficulties in recruiting enough numbers. #capt obvious

Old 01-30-2024, 11:08 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Different era.

Now they are letting in people who only need a 50 on ASVAB. The Navy is very advanced. While we still need people to do the menial jobs, lower standards from this current generation, means trouble.

What's next felons?

Old 01-30-2024, 12:55 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I have mixed feelings about it. My uncle was a HS drop-out who served in the navy during the Korean War. He was a fireman but, as noted above, it was a different navy back then.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:46 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
During Vietnam, high school friends who seniors were dropping out and joining the navy, thinking that it would be better than the army. That didn't always work out.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:05 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
The Navy actually drafted people during the Vietnam War. My high school friend was drafted into the Navy and spent two years on an aircraft carrier. No one believes him when says he got drafted.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:30 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The Navy actually drafted people during the Vietnam War. My high school friend was drafted into the Navy and spent two years on an aircraft carrier. No one believes him when says he got drafted.
My dad enlisted in the Navy to avoid being drafted to the Army or Marines. Being from south Louisiana my dad knew he hated the swamp and wanted to avoid going to the swamp. He ended up an airman wearing the yellow shirt on the flightdeck. He wasn’t blinded in one eye in combat. He was blinded because they weren’t in flight ops and someone was test firing a jet’s engines without warning everyone around and it kicked up debris that hit him in one eye.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:30 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times
Quote:

Well the Navy was giving support to the land forces in Vietnam with aerial bombings, surveillance, surface interdiction of supplies along the coastline and inland waterways, gunfire support, and humanitarian aid.

That wasn't the only war the U.S. was fighting in the world. There was a thing called the Cold War and the Navy needed to fill the fleet demands to counter the Soviet Nuclear threat.

If you didn't want to fight in the jungles of Vietnam, the Navy and Air Force and even Coast Guard were excellent choices but We were still fighting the Cold War and being in the Fleet or Submarine service is no walk in the park.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:16 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
I get it, there is the political prejudice that has built over the years every billet besides the Army and Marine Corps in the US Military was filled by a young man trying to insure he was not going to be patrolling in Vietnam. With a few sailors assigned to the Marines as corpsmen and river boat sailors losing their lottery. I had a couple of tank commanders who claimed to have volunteered for armor with a Germany guarantee 15 years before I came up as all those other spots were full

Old 01-31-2024, 09:40 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
The US Navy did good for me.

As an old man, of course I look back at my career and I see spots where I messed up. I could have done better, etc.

But, I still was put onto pension when I was 42yo.

The military will do whatever they must do, to survive. If lower the standards is needed, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues