Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 05:36 AM

17,669 posts, read 17,843,539 times

Advertisements

I’ve been out of the Mavy since 1998. Moved around a lot before finally setting down. Got rid of most of my uniform issue items. Still have one Dixie cup hat, ship’s ball caps, and one set of boot camp issue leather gloves. I wouldn’t be able to fit into any of my shirts, pants, and jackets. Still have my cruise jackets tough I can’t wear them. They’re a souvenir reminder of some of the places I’ve visited. Wish I could find jackets like the 90s Navy trench coat and Eisenhower jackets. I liked the removable liner which made them a comfortable light jacket in warmer months when liner removed. I know they do make civilian jackets with removable liners but I never see them in our local stores and I’d hate to order them online and have to send them back if they don’t fit. Do still have my medals and ribbons in a box somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 07:07 AM

474 posts, read 294,094 times
I've been out of the army since 1994. I still have the one set of desert camo BDUs (chocolate chip) and boonie hat that they issued us so we looked good when returned from Desert Strom. I have my dress green uniform (with all ribbons, badges, etc), complete with short and long sleeve shirts, "C-cap", black trench coat with liner, dress gloves, and dress shoes. I have a couple pair of jungle boots that weren't issued, but purchased at Clothing Sales. I might have a complete set or two of woodland camo BDUs, I'm not sure. I kept all of my clothing for a while before finally getting rid of it. I thought I kept a couple sets though. I bought a pair of Matterhorn Gore Tex boots in Germany in 1992-ish. I've used them as winter boots ever since. My original issue black leather gloves from basic training are the work gloves that I keep in my toolbox at work. They're 35 years old. I still have the Sleeping Cap that came with my sleeping bag. Now I wish I would've kept all of my clothing that I had when I got out.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:18 AM

6,613 posts, read 7,119,913 times
Yes I still have some of my stuff. I kept my gortex pants "woodland" camoflage. I have my class A's and a few utility BDUs and desert cammy pants.. Eventually they will all go away though. I doubt I will ever wear my A's again. Oh but my favorite saved item is my fleece jacket. It is light and comfortable.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:00 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,138,057 times
The only things I still have is my PT uniform from OSUT (unit t-shirt & hoodie w/ crossed pistols; shorts & sweat pants with unit & crossed pistols).

DH has a set of BDUs, jump boots, ACUs, PTs & his snivel gear and woobie. Dress blues, low qtrs, ribbons, his MP brassard & helmet liner. CC, beret, BDU cap & boonies hat.

I'm sure there are other things that I have forgotten about.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:17 AM

6,613 posts, read 7,119,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
The only things I still have is my PT uniform from OSUT (unit t-shirt & hoodie w/ crossed pistols; shorts & sweat pants with unit & crossed pistols).

DH has a set of BDUs, jump boots, ACUs, PTs & his snivel gear and woobie. Dress blues, low qtrs, ribbons, his MP brassard & helmet liner. CC, beret, BDU cap & boonies hat.

I'm sure there are other things that I have forgotten about.
thank you and your husband for your service.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:22 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,081,738 times
I've been out since 1963 and the only thing I have left is 2 pairs of wool socks. And they are still in good condition.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,112,852 times
Well, first of all, as an officer, a lot of it wasn't issued.

But that said, I have my issued Great Coats (Convoy Coat) from my merchant service, at least.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:51 AM

8,530 posts, read 6,957,428 times
I served out my time in the Marine Corps in 1970. Not much left except a couple of dress blues uniforms stored away for years. Sentimental value maybe as I wore them sometimes when I was an embassy guard for two years in SE Asia. In doors only with air con. Way too hot outside in tropical climates.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:17 AM

532 posts, read 449,608 times
Served in the Marines and retired from the Army

Just to make it interesting and be different I've issued myself a Space Force T shirt

Other than that I have a tackle box with ribbons, medals and badges
Attached Thumbnails
Uniform issue clothing, do you still have any?-space-force-tshirt.jpg  

Old 01-11-2024, 11:37 AM

3,316 posts, read 1,790,627 times
I served in the Navy from '74 to '78 during the Ford & Carter administrations (Seabee here) and still have a set of utility greens -including the hat- with my crow (E-4) and they still fit! Somewhere I have the hat block to hold it for a good spray of starch. Our dress blues at the time were the ugly "Bus Driver" blue suits. I burned mine the day I got out. I hated that suit. I saved the "USN" emblem and eagle buttons from the chin strap off the garrison cap.

I had that (M79?) green field jacket until sometime in the early 90's when it finally wore out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues