Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 07:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times

Advertisements

I hope who ever the next president is, that they really take the fight to the cartels. They need to be crushed militarily . AMLOS soft approach has been an abysmal failure. They need to stop sacrificing Mexican people and quite frankly people in other countries aswell. The cartels have presence in other countries and have contributed to problems/violence in places as far away as Ecuador.

I know a lot of Mexicans get mad when this is brought up. The only people they should be getting mad at is the cartels and also the crooked cops and politicians not doing **** about it, giving the country a bad name. That is the only place their frustrations should go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 09:59 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I hope who ever the next president is, that they really take the fight to the cartels. They need to be crushed militarily . AMLOS soft approach has been an abysmal failure. They need to stop sacrificing Mexican people and quite frankly people in other countries aswell. The cartels have presence in other countries and have contributed to problems/violence in places as far away as Ecuador.

I know a lot of Mexicans get mad when this is brought up. The only people they should be getting mad at is the cartels and also the crooked cops and politicians not doing **** about it, giving the country a bad name. That is the only place their frustrations should go.
These are multi billion dollar organizations that have more money to spend in Mexico and the US. They have more guns and weapons than the government. They have a product that is in more demand as an export than almost anything else Mexico produces.

I'm sure Mexicans would love to see them gone but money talks so they accept reality.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
These are multi billion dollar organizations that have more money to spend in Mexico and the US. They have more guns and weapons than the government. They have a product that is in more demand as an export than almost anything else Mexico produces.

I'm sure Mexicans would love to see them gone but money talks so they accept reality.
They move people as well as drugs.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post

I am not sure the cartels are producing all of their own product. Maybe they do now? The Mexican state has to put up a fight though, there is no way they can just "accept" this. How is the country supposed to move forward like this?

I also doubt the cartels are better armed than the army. They need to take the fight to them nonstop, they have the capability.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:31 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
And does it really matter?

That's the first question that came to mind. i see no reason to think it will matter in terms of corruption and cartel violence. Change my mind. I'd love to see Mexico prove me wrong

Old 03-25-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
If Trump is elected the border will be closed until Mexico fixes it's cartel problem. Maybe permanently.

Bahaha. Trump was elected. Did you miss 2016?

Old 03-31-2024, 01:44 PM

Well if words mean anything Gálvez sounds like the only one prioritizing security and taking a harder line on it. Sheinbaum has only suggested more of the same as AMLO

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-el...a9475edc977357

Gálvez posed the choice as: “continuing on the same path which would mean giving in to crime or fighting to defend families, to defend the youth, to defend those who work.”
In places like Zacatecas and neighboring Guanajuato, Gálvez’s heavy handed security approach could sway voters terrorized by warring drug cartels.
She promised to double the size of the National Guard that López Obrador created to 300,000, but put it under civilian leadership. She also proposed closer collaboration with the United States to confront a “common enemy” in the cartels.
“There will not be a more important priority than Mexicans’ safety,” Gálvez said.

---

I have always wondered why US anti-drug campaigns don't carry more of an anti-cartel brutality message, including graphic images of what these people do to each other and anyone who gets in their way. When I was younger and consumed illegal drugs it always weighed on my mind that I was supporting violence in Latin America but I guess that doesn't bother a lot of people.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well if words mean anything Gálvez sounds like the only one prioritizing security and taking a harder line on it. Sheinbaum has only suggested more of the same as AMLO

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-el...a9475edc977357

Gálvez posed the choice as: “continuing on the same path which would mean giving in to crime or fighting to defend families, to defend the youth, to defend those who work.”
In places like Zacatecas and neighboring Guanajuato, Gálvez’s heavy handed security approach could sway voters terrorized by warring drug cartels.
She promised to double the size of the National Guard that López Obrador created to 300,000, but put it under civilian leadership. She also proposed closer collaboration with the United States to confront a “common enemy” in the cartels.
“There will not be a more important priority than Mexicans’ safety,” Gálvez said.

---

I have always wondered why US anti-drug campaigns don't carry more of an anti-cartel brutality message, including graphic images of what these people do to each other and anyone who gets in their way. When I was younger and consumed illegal drugs it always weighed on my mind that I was supporting violence in Latin America but I guess that doesn't bother a lot of people.
I dont even know what Sheinbaum is proposing. Has she really said anything other than Morena is great, let's keep it going. Whatever that is.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:37 AM

104 posts, read 129,231 times
Morena is exceedingly popular with the poor of Mexico, and the poor are 90% of MX.

AMLO raised min. daily wage 20% every year he has been in office. That's a 100% rise.

AMLO on cartels: Hugs not guns. All candidates pledge 'safety' for residents, but none will or really can, take on the cartels. The cartels call the shots and everyone living in MX knows that. The cartels give out free Xmas toys to kids. Their basic message to citizens and to government officials, is don't make waves and you will be safe.

The cartels are so ingrained and the government so corrupt, it's hard to imagine anyone getting it straightened out. It's simply gone on way too long to rein in now.

I have owned homes in Central Mexico since 2008. I lived there fulltime for many years, now I alternate time between MX and US home.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeana View Post
Morena is exceedingly popular with the poor of Mexico, and the poor are 90% of MX.

AMLO raised min. daily wage 20% every year he has been in office. That's a 100% rise.

AMLO on cartels: Hugs not guns. All candidates pledge 'safety' for residents, but none will or really can, take on the cartels. The cartels call the shots and everyone living in MX knows that. The cartels give out free Xmas toys to kids. Their basic message to citizens and to government officials, is don't make waves and you will be safe.

The cartels are so ingrained and the government so corrupt, it's hard to imagine anyone getting it straightened out. It's simply gone on way too long to rein in now.

I have owned homes in Central Mexico since 2008. I lived there fulltime for many years, now I alternate time between MX and US home.
These are good points. I have spent a lot of time in Mexico and have owned homes as well. The general sense is we don't fear the cops or the tax man as seen in the US or Canada. We fear those other guys who are not said or spoken about.

My point about Sheinbaum is she says absolutely nothing about a vision for Mexico or why she should be elected. It's all about her life story and how much good the party is doing for the people. It probably will work for her, the edge she has is so huge she just doesn't want to mess it up and she wins. I can already see if she has to debate she will say almost nothing other than what a great job Morena has done. Won't say a word about what is to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico