Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2023, 06:32 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

After almost deciding on moving to Columbia, S.C., Lexington was brought to my attention as a possibility too. I initially was concerned about several reviews that mentioned rudeness, and as a Southerner that would be 100% unacceptable. But after researching it a bit, this appears to be an Old Money and horsey thing, sorta like Charleston. In my retiree-income range, I wouldn't be mixing w/ them unless they ride the bus and shop in the thrift stores, LOL. No wine/Bourbon tastings for me, which honestly, is just as well. Both cities lean liberal w/o going overboard w/ the PC folks, and that's a plus for me too. So the 2 cities, while very different in demographics, seem like good places to live.

One of Lexington's attractions was its low crime. Neighborhood Scout says the city is safer than 9% of the other cities in the U.S., while Columbia is safer than 3% of the other cities. When looking at the amount of murders and other violent crimes, that appears to be accurate. Yet when I read the "average" reviews of the both cities, a lot more people in Lexington complain of the crime problem. After reading Columbia's news these last few months, something I have yet to do for Lexington, I can agree that there is a crime issue. However, that is usually a matter of where you live in a city. My apt in Little Rock is in a pretty nice (but not pricey) area, and we never experience it or see it, even though Little Rock has very serious crime issues.

So I was wondering if crime is seen as an issue to you folks? Other than that, both cities had complaints of bad drivers and traffic, but that's everywhere these days unless you live in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 10:27 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Hi StephenMM!

Welcome to the Kentucky forum here at City-Data!

Every now and then you hear of a rash of shootings....like for awhile last year.

As in any city there are some good areas as far as that goes and some bad ones.

I actually consider Lexington to be the safest place that I have ever lived. Not afraid to go out at night or any time.
I lived in Miami, Baltimore, Connecticut and Louisville.

I sometimes go out and sit on the patio after midnight and never have had an issue....we have been in this neighborhood since 1988 and there has only been one burglary in that time (the homeowner woke up ran downstairs with his gun and shot at the burglar.)
I love Lexington and love living here.
I think the people are pretty friendly, Kentucky itself was rated the Friendliest state in America a couple years ago(see video)...but of course people are the friendliest in the small towns and rural areas of Kentucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_PtE9nvwY

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 06-28-2023 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-28-2023, 10:37 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Here are a few news channels if you wish to check them out.
https://www.wkyt.com/

https://www.lex18.com/\

You can check the Lexington crime map here
Some areas of the city have much more crime than others.
Where we live this is the crime map for our part of the city in the last week.

^Looks like someone had a car theft up behind Meijers and something may have happened by the dental office.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 06-28-2023 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: