Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2023, 06:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m currently a California resident (48/male) who has been struggling to get by here in this state, mainly due to
physical issues (Chronic depression and two bad hips), issues which make it difficult for me to work enough in order to be able to afford the very high costs of living here. Unfortunately, these problems have been long term and very limiting, but I’m still reasonably functional and capable; I’m not completely disabled or home bound, but I am limited.

But because of my struggles here, I started last year applying for housing assistance in other states, with the hopes that I would be more able to get established and, hopefully, start a different path and life in a lower cost of living area —because I am absolutely struggling here in Southern California. Plus, housing assistance programs in California have astronomical waiting lists, so it’s not even worth applying.

Fortunately, and to my surprise, I was just notified by the Kingsport Housing Authority just this morning that I am eligible for housing assistance in any of the six counties that the Kingsport Housing Authority services — and that I am required to attend an in-person orientation there next month, after which I will receive the housing aid.

My goal is to eventually stabilize myself and my life enough so that I do not have to utilize housing assistance for any longer than I need to, but I absolutely plan on using it in the short-term. I very much need it. (Also, I did receive housing assistance from the Fort Smith, Arkansas, housing authority just recently as well, but I would much rather relocate to Tennessee than to Arkansas — especially when the relocation options are either the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee or Fort Smith, Arkansas; not only is the Tri-Cities area much larger, but I believe that Tennessee is simply a better overall state than Arkansas. So I plan to not use the Arkansas assistance.

Now, to the meat of my query here:

I’m trying to find creative ways in which to earn a living in the Tri-Cities area, but I have to be very picky and judicious when it comes finding employment because of my physical/emotional issues. And besides browsing the Indeed and Simply Hired job search websites, I’m at a bit of a loss as to how to locate at least a reliable, part-time job that I can perform reasonably well. I would actually prefer a driving type of job or something very flexible, but I’m not quite sure where to look. I’m thinking of local job agencies or even local disability agencies that may have something available. Obviously, I’m not seeking a career at the moment; until I get my hips replaced (in the near future) and hopefully get my depression under better control, I’m going to be simply looking for part-time jobs or basically lower-level types of jobs that will enable me to pay for basic necessities and living costs without exacerbating my issues.

I have been doing gig work here in CA, mainly driving for Uber and also making deliveries, but the gig economy is very hit or miss and not a reliable source of steady income — so I need to find other income streams.

If anyone may care to share any input or advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I apologize if this post seems a bit chaotic or unclear; it’s simply been a very tough time period as of late, so I’m a bit stressed and frazzled — but I’m also happy about receiving good news from Kingsport Housing.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 07:39 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Since you have a disability every state has either a Department or Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. It’s a federal program that partners and is run by each state. It’s free and they can help you find employment compatible with your disability. They can also pay for formal training if that’s needed.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:04 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Let me make sure that I understand this correctly. You're currently in California, applied for some sort of aid through the KHA, somehow got approved for that aid as an out-of-state, cross-country resident, with no local ties or a job offer, and are now planning to relocate to Kingsport, where you know no one, have no job leads, and no way to make an income. Got it.

This sounds like a very bad idea. Yes, there are available jobs around here, but they are usually low end, paying maybe $12-$17/hr., which is still a struggling wage as a single person. Most of those jobs are things like food service or retail, where you're on your feet, that have gone from minimum wage to $10-$11/hr., pre-pandemic, to a much higher wage now, but it's still not enough to live comfortably.

You have health issues. My ex-girlfriend, who passed away last year at 27, had hip problems as well. She was sent to Vanderbilt in Nashville, about 4.5 hours away. Psychiatric care is lousy at best here. I worked for the local hospital system for the better part of a decade. I was not a clinical employee, but worked directly with all sorts of clinical teams for emergency care and alerting, and am very familiar with local healthcare. It's terrible. Send me a direct message if you want more details.

Rents and property prices have exploded in recent years, as this area has become "discovered." It will be cheap to you (probably) coming from CA, but wages here, other than at the bottom and very top, have been stagnant, and it is getting harder to get by.

I'm 37, and grew up in Kingsport. Kingsport is a city in decline. It's basically an old mill town that is struggling to reinvent itself for the future, and does not have insightful enough city leadership to give the city some kind of branding or appeal to attract newcomers. Crime is the highest of any city in the area. Kingsport has lost tons of retail, restaurants, and nightlife to Johnson City, and even much smaller Bristol, over the past couple of decades. I have no confidence that Kingsport leadership has learned anything, or that the city will pivot in the correct direction anytime soon.

Kingsport is attracting some retirees on the basis of low property prices, taxes, and its conservatism, but that is about it. Anyone with any income goes to Washington County or Johnson City, or even Bristol if they are looking for a smaller city that has more of a civic culture.

Kingsport was founded - it didn't grow up organically, which is why, to me, a big reason that it still feels artificial and disjointed.

TN does not have the social safety net that CA has. You might have this assistance now, but do you have a way to pay for groceries, gas, utilities, healthcare (TN opted out of Medicaid expansion), and normal daily bills? If you don't, stay put.

Kingsport does have a bus system, but it mostly operates on weekdays during typical business hours. You're likely going to end up in some shiftwork job, should you move here, and if you get a job at all. Rideshare services are spottier than you might expect.

I will say there is a shortage of Uber drivers. I live in Bristol, and it is hard to find an Uber after work to get to and from the bars. I think you could do well at that if you are willing to go where demand is.

I'll also mention that bringing up the fact that you are from CA, and got approved for KHA housing while out of state, will not go over well socially. There are many local residents who struggled in vain for years to get into local housing arrangements. An out-of-stater with no ties and no job offer getting a slot won't go over well with a lot of folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Since you have a disability every state has either a Department or Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. It’s a federal program that partners and is run by each state. It’s free and they can help you find employment compatible with your disability. They can also pay for formal training if that’s needed.
This area is backed up with current local residents who need this kind of assistance. There are tons of people who have been injured at their previous line of work, who are now looking for some sort of aid to a fresh start, caught in the sludge of slow-moving government programs. The area simply doesn't have the resources from Nashville, the federal government, or even the staff if they had the resources, to adequately handle these types of claims.

There are tons of locals in this predicament who are not getting assistance. OP needs to stay where they are at until they have a concrete plan to support themselves.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Let me make sure that I understand this correctly. You're currently in California, applied for some sort of aid through the KHA, somehow got approved for that aid as an out-of-state, cross-country resident, with no local ties or a job offer, and are now planning to relocate to Kingsport, where you know no one, have no job leads, and no way to make an income. Got it.

This sounds like a very bad idea. Yes, there are available jobs around here, but they are usually low end, paying maybe $12-$17/hr., which is still a struggling wage as a single person. Most of those jobs are things like food service or retail, where you're on your feet, that have gone from minimum wage to $10-$11/hr., pre-pandemic, to a much higher wage now, but it's still not enough to live comfortably.

You have health issues. My ex-girlfriend, who passed away last year at 27, had hip problems as well. She was sent to Vanderbilt in Nashville, about 4.5 hours away. Psychiatric care is lousy at best here. I worked for the local hospital system for the better part of a decade. I was not a clinical employee, but worked directly with all sorts of clinical teams for emergency care and alerting, and am very familiar with local healthcare. It's terrible. Send me a direct message if you want more details.

Rents and property prices have exploded in recent years, as this area has become "discovered." It will be cheap to you (probably) coming from CA, but wages here, other than at the bottom and very top, have been stagnant, and it is getting harder to get by.

I'm 37, and grew up in Kingsport. Kingsport is a city in decline. It's basically an old mill town that is struggling to reinvent itself for the future, and does not have insightful enough city leadership to give the city some kind of branding or appeal to attract newcomers. Crime is the highest of any city in the area. Kingsport has lost tons of retail, restaurants, and nightlife to Johnson City, and even much smaller Bristol, over the past couple of decades. I have no confidence that Kingsport leadership has learned anything, or that the city will pivot in the correct direction anytime soon.

Kingsport is attracting some retirees on the basis of low property prices, taxes, and its conservatism, but that is about it. Anyone with any income goes to Washington County or Johnson City, or even Bristol if they are looking for a smaller city that has more of a civic culture.

Kingsport was founded - it didn't grow up organically, which is why, to me, a big reason that it still feels artificial and disjointed.

TN does not have the social safety net that CA has. You might have this assistance now, but do you have a way to pay for groceries, gas, utilities, healthcare (TN opted out of Medicaid expansion), and normal daily bills? If you don't, stay put.

Kingsport does have a bus system, but it mostly operates on weekdays during typical business hours. You're likely going to end up in some shiftwork job, should you move here, and if you get a job at all. Rideshare services are spottier than you might expect.

I will say there is a shortage of Uber drivers. I live in Bristol, and it is hard to find an Uber after work to get to and from the bars. I think you could do well at that if you are willing to go where demand is.

I'll also mention that bringing up the fact that you are from CA, and got approved for KHA housing while out of state, will not go over well socially. There are many local residents who struggled in vain for years to get into local housing arrangements. An out-of-stater with no ties and no job offer getting a slot won't go over well with a lot of folks.

This area is backed up with current local residents who need this kind of assistance. There are tons of people who have been injured at their previous line of work, who are now looking for some sort of aid to a fresh start, caught in the sludge of slow-moving government programs. The area simply doesn't have the resources from Nashville, the federal government, or even the staff if they had the resources, to adequately handle these types of claims.

There are tons of locals in this predicament who are not getting assistance. OP needs to stay where they are at until they have a concrete plan to support themselves.
Yes, federal housing aid is open to anyone from anywhere. It’s not uncommon for people to apply for and get approved for housing assistance in other states. It’s a federal program. And it’s becoming more popular than ever nowadays because of the affordable housing crisis.

I applied over a year ago and just received approval today. I applied because I’m struggling and absolutely cannot afford to live in California. Housing is a big issue; not having access to affordable housing seriously compromises a person’s ability to lead a basic life. Programs are out there, and if a person applies and ultimately gets approved for some type of housing assistance (regardless of location), then that person is authorized to use that help. It’s legal and normal.

I appreciate your response, though, and I understand your points and your concerns. Thank you for responding.

I’d stay in California if I could find housing, but things really are bad here. Sure, we have social safety nets in place (Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, etc.), but unfortunately those safety nets don’t help people find housing. Rents and housing prices are astronomically high, and waitlists for housing assistance/programs can be 10+ years in many areas. Many folks living in their cars or out in tents underneath freeway overpasses have these benefits.

Oh, I voted for Trump, too, and I’m a Republican (had to say this in case anyone accuses me of being a “typical Californian” who will try to export California politics elsewhere).

And not every person struggling is doing so because they are lazy or unmotivated or irresponsible (I know you didn’t say that outright, but many folks automatically assume that people in need are in that position because they simply choose to be — and that absolutely is not correct).

And don’t worry: maybe I won’t even go to Tennessee (if my fortunes change soon); that way you won’t have an outsider taking resources from a TN resident (even though I went through the correct and legal process for obtaining aid; the housing authority is ultimately the one who approved — I didn’t just sneak in through some back door or claim squatters’ rights to an abandoned property!)

Old 07-17-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Thank you for the response. I appreciate it. I will research this potential avenue.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:18 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
You need to find a way to earn an income and make a decent living, no matter where you are or where you intend to go. None of your issues will be solved until you have some skillset that enables you to earn a living. You shouldn't be shotgunning random housing applications out to areas that you know nothing about and have no connections to in hopes of a positive response, then trying to back a move into some random "yes."

It would be one thing if you said "I got this assistance, but I have X, Y, Z job leads," but you do not. You are planning to get here and figure it out as you go along. We aren't California. We don't have the resources to support non-locals like this. Wages are going to be pitiful compared to what you are used to. It's going to be a massive culture shock. Kingsport is probably trying to attract anyone with a hope of working to improve their demographic issues. It's a gamble, but they're willing to take it on you apparently.

I had my ex on a list with the KHA for years. She never got a response. She was a local resident, was willing to work part-time, had local family, was approved for SSI, and had a support system. She never got housing aid. The fact that we worked so hard to get her on assistance, which she never received, many years after applying and more years being tied up in the legal system, then people from CA get it, with seemingly no questions asked, in a short duration, with no job or real roadmap, is absolutely mind-boggling and immensely frustrating to me on a personal level.

If you are on food stamps, keep in mind housing aid may be counted as "income," which would erode food stamp benefits.

Your voting history doesn't really matter. No one really cares in light of the other circumstances of your case. If you give out the same details you gave here socially, that kind of behavior will be shunned and frowned upon.

I would rather live here than Fort Smith, but that is not saying much.

Even with the housing aid, you are probably much more likely to find a decent job, and make enough to support yourself, even in light of housing costs, in California than here.

Old 07-18-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You need to find a way to earn an income and make a decent living, no matter where you are or where you intend to go. None of your issues will be solved until you have some skillset that enables you to earn a living. You shouldn't be shotgunning random housing applications out to areas that you know nothing about and have no connections to in hopes of a positive response, then trying to back a move into some random "yes."

It would be one thing if you said "I got this assistance, but I have X, Y, Z job leads," but you do not. You are planning to get here and figure it out as you go along. We aren't California. We don't have the resources to support non-locals like this. Wages are going to be pitiful compared to what you are used to. It's going to be a massive culture shock. Kingsport is probably trying to attract anyone with a hope of working to improve their demographic issues. It's a gamble, but they're willing to take it on you apparently.

I had my ex on a list with the KHA for years. She never got a response. She was a local resident, was willing to work part-time, had local family, was approved for SSI, and had a support system. She never got housing aid. The fact that we worked so hard to get her on assistance, which she never received, many years after applying and more years being tied up in the legal system, then people from CA get it, with seemingly no questions asked, in a short duration, with no job or real roadmap, is absolutely mind-boggling and immensely frustrating to me on a personal level.

If you are on food stamps, keep in mind housing aid may be counted as "income," which would erode food stamp benefits.

Your voting history doesn't really matter. No one really cares in light of the other circumstances of your case. If you give out the same details you gave here socially, that kind of behavior will be shunned and frowned upon.

I would rather live here than Fort Smith, but that is not saying much.

Even with the housing aid, you are probably much more likely to find a decent job, and make enough to support yourself, even in light of housing costs, in California than here.
Now I understand why you seem so angry. You dislike me because I obtained help
and your girlfriend didn’t. I had nothing to do with your girlfriend’s situation. I received an offer of aid after going through the application process and ultimately being approved — and that pisses you off! But that’s not my issue or problem. Direct your ire at either the federal program itself or with the KHRA for approving me.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:37 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I think SC, as harsh as you may receive it, is simply trying to convey that this is a bad idea. And he is a local, so he is trying to give you a fair warning on it. I grew up in the area and agree with the overall substance of his message.

A lot of people move to East TN because of politics thinking they will be better off or others will help them because they are in the same boat. It is a bad idea. There are numerous amounts of people in your same situation with the same politics in NETN (the overwhelming majority, I might add), especially Kingsport. People here tend to their own, and for the most part, all of their families are here, and they struggle. So, as an outsider from California in similar circumstances, with poor healthcare, among a lot of other issues in the region, I would highly recommend against the area under these facts.

If you have read, or seen videos of the bad parts of Southern Appalachia, particularly Eastern KY, Southern WV, etc. Kingsport is no different and is very much the same scenario. Your situation will not improve, and may actually be worse.

SC's comments are from a genuine concern and warning, not an angry one. If your circumstances were different (remote work, job in hand, etc.), I would encourage a move if you want to be around like-minded voters (although, again, not Kingsport--JC, Bristol or even Greeneville or Rogersville over Kingsport). There is no magic wand or pill that moving here is going to solve. If anything, it will likely be harder (not to mention the worse healthcare).

I do wish you the best of luck. I just don't think the KHA will be some resolution to your issues. If anything, it may compound them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol