Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 12:23 PM

35,353 posts, read 17,257,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
"Tears are not enough, give us all your moneyyyyy!" ♫
That's how I took its U.S. companion song by U.S.A. for Africa, We Are the World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3wNuru4U0I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The way I understand it, the Jews sent emissaries from the ghetto to the Polish Underground (Communists) to ask for weapons, and the request was denied. Without weapons, how could they fight back? (I'm not necessarily blaming the Polish Underground -- how would they replace weapons given to the Jews?)
Thank you. I never knew that. I'd heard they were seeking Helping fighting so that the Germans would face more hostility. The Polish people, in general (with obviously exceptions such as Karol Józef Wojtyła later known as John Paul II), were notorious antisemites. The death rate among Jews in Poland was actually significantly higher than that in Germany. The era of lack of help was not surprising.

Quote:
People are trained from an early age to root for the underdog. They root for the mouse against the cat, the cat against the dog, and the dog against the dog catcher. In simplistic terms, the high-tech industrial state of Israel is the cat where the rag-tag Palestinians are the mouse. The pro-Israel side is up against today's short attention spans being inundated by 10-second Tik Tok videos of children sitting in rubble, crying. None of those videos asks why Hamas refuses to release the remaining 132 hostages (or send the bodies back to their families), and if Hamas destroys their own hospital with a misfired rocket -- oops -- it's quickly forgotten.
Great points. The same people do not ask How Hamas and/or the Palestinians would handle gays, women, and for that matter animals. The same people refuse to consider the relative rights of Arabs living in Israel and the relative lack of rights of any non Muslim in most Arab countries in their tirades. Instead they focus on minor differences in rights and privileges that Arabs have in Israel. Israel is not a perfect country; perfection is expected of them but not of others. People also do not consider that Israel became a high tech industrial country by its own efforts. These people consider a high living standard to be a G-d-given right by means of subsidies.

Quote:
Israel just has to keep on doing the right thing.
Thank you.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:00 PM

5,843 posts, read 3,263,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes, the topic of this thread is not to discuss a book.
what comes to mind for me is damned if you do, damned if you don't.

in discussions of the Holocaust there are two questions that are often raised and repeated and discussed. I remember hearing them in high school, and university, and in the decades since. Much of my mother's side of the family was slaughtered in the Holocaust. There are no Holocaust survivors in my family. My family who stayed in Germany were all slaughtered. The ones who managed to escape went to USA and South America.

So in the decades since, we have all heard these common-sense questions asked and still being discussed by Jews and non-Jews alike:

1. "why didn't someone just go in an assassinate Hitler and the leaders of the Third Reich" "That would have prevented a whole lot of additional bloodshed and kept it from spreading across so much of the world and involving so many other countries."
and
2. "why didn't the Jews fight back, that's what they should have done"

fast forward to today. groups on the world stage are again calling for "death to the Jews" and attacking. The difference is today there are Jews now saying "Never again is now" and yes fighting back. "Never again" is associated with the lessons of the Holocaust. and in current times it includes taking steps to assassinate the leaders of those who are seeking to carry out "death to the Jews."

On the world stage there are those who support "never again" and there are those who support "death to the Jews." i don't think it's so much that people love dead jews or love helpless jews. my own view is that people love to blame jews and love to hate jews. no matter if it is upset over "jews fighting back" or it is upset over Jews NOT fighting back. Yeah, people don't like it when Jews are massacred, but yeah they don't like it when Jews fight back either.

it is like a feral animal, there is no rationale to it, just like there is no rationale to a rabid animal. just blind hate.

The first thing that the Nazis did in Poland was to disarm the civilians. Kristallnacht which was about a year earlier. They may have had no idea what the Nasis were planning.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:47 AM

712 posts, read 319,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Perfect description of the dilemma. If you don't fight back it's your fault that you are killed. If you do fight back your fight is “disproportionate." My own choice is a vicious fight to a beautiful funeral.
Not a dilemma, but a teaching opportunity. To the extent possible, teach our enemies the meaning of “disproportionate." Some of "our own" will also react to “disproportionate." This is not a problem, but just another form of IFF (Identification Friend or Foe).

Old 05-07-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Not a dilemma, but a teaching opportunity. To the extent possible, teach our enemies the meaning of “disproportionate." Some of "our own" will also react to “disproportionate." This is not a problem, but just another form of IFF (Identification Friend or Foe).
And those want to restrain Israel from fighting back. They'll support such gestures as bombing empty buildings, but blanche when it comes to serious retaliation. Notice how they oppose a Raffah attack, since that is where the remaining terror leaders are likely located. They believe in negotiated solutions with people that flatly won't negotiate.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:50 PM

269 posts, read 263,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
To the extent possible, teach our enemies the meaning of “disproportionate.".
Definitely. Merely going tit for tat does not act as a deterrent, but only allows the situation to fester. You need to destroy/crush your enemy, which Israel is now attempting. It should have been done years ago.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:28 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,771,645 times
The author of the book in the OP made the rounds promoting the book. I saw some of the interviews that she gave. I have yet to read the book.

After the 1967 war, the Jews were the darlings of the press because as previously stated, people love the underdog. There is that famous cover of Life magazine showing an Israeli female soldier holding a rifle above her head. It was during the Yom Kippur war that public sentiment began to turn. Jews were no longer the underdog, especially since they gained land after these wars. Then came the Israeli policy of "land for peace."

Old 05-09-2024, 01:10 PM

712 posts, read 319,788 times
jbgusa,

Thanks for posting.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:21 PM

17,680 posts, read 13,494,771 times
Kinda like what Golda said!
Attached Thumbnails
People Love Helpless Jews (to paraphrase a book title) - Jews that fight back, not so much-eretz-yisrael.jpg  

Old 05-14-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Kinda like what Golda said!
I never knew this quote but thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism