Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 07:46 PM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times

Advertisements

To Jewish Posters: Do any of you send Christmas cards to your gentile friends and/or do they send them to you?

I have never sent Christmas cards, but my gentile DH did, and I was fine with this. And we received many cards in return.

He passed on and now I am in a quandary. People are sending me Christmas cards or sometimes generic winter holiday cards. I certainly am not sending Christmas cards, but I wonder if my friends/acquaintances will understand why they are not getting a card from me. I don't even want to send winter holiday cards.

I like sending cards for the high holidays as a way of connecting with people who don't live near me. I only send them to my Jewish friends and family.

Thoughts and observations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 05:08 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I have never sent out a Christmas card. I have sent a few generic Season's Greetings/Happy New Year (or "Happy Holidays") cards (usually in response to ones that I have received) and I received some similar type cards from non-Jewish contacts. I also use generic cards to enclose end of the year/holidays tips to give to the maintenance people in my apartment building.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:52 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Giving cards at this time of year is a favored tradition for many of all faiths and we have sent seasonal cards to friends and received both seasonal and Christmas cards but there's nothing to get offended over the gesture is appreciated.

As the custom was a favorite of your late husband people are just continuing, but I'm sure after a season or two of you not sending them people will remove you from their list. If someone was to say anything you could just explain that it was your husbands tradition to send them, friends will understand.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:11 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Yes, I send out cards, but only those that say Happy Holidays with an artistic or cat on them. Many years ago, about 50, I put up cards I got on the mantel. My mother saw them and said "this looks like a Christian's house." I never put any more up for display.

Old 11-14-2023, 06:17 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
At our senior center, I'll make available Hanukkah/Chanukah cards that were donated, on the Free table, with various other cards. Our senior center, 1,700 members each receive a birthday card, learned that may be the only card they receive.

Hanukkah do you decorate your home, or celebrate that day ?

Old 11-15-2023, 03:57 AM

A menorah is all and dollar coins for the great nieces and nephews. (A warning on rolled dollar coins from the bank - Hong Kong dollars are the same size and it is not unheard of usual to find one in there.)

Old 11-15-2023, 05:29 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
At our senior center, I'll make available Hanukkah/Chanukah cards that were donated, on the Free table, with various other cards. Our senior center, 1,700 members each receive a birthday card, learned that may be the only card they receive.

Hanukkah do you decorate your home, or celebrate that day ?
I light Hanukkah candles and eat donuts! I do have one friend who usually sends me a Hanukkah card.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:07 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I light Hanukkah candles and eat donuts! I do have one friend who usually sends me a Hanukkah card.
I used to have one friend at work who would send me a Hanukkah card. I felt like "Wow, someone actually gets that I'm Jewish". In my area, Christianity is just assumed. Le sigh.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:19 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Giving cards at this time of year is a favored tradition for many of all faiths and we have sent seasonal cards to friends and received both seasonal and Christmas cards but there's nothing to get offended over the gesture is appreciated.
Jews are less likely to mass mail holiday cards to their families and friends, although it is starting to become more common (both as a product of intermarriage and assimilation). I’m not personally inclined to join the trend, but I don’t think less of Jews or anyone else who opts into it.

Of course, I also agree that there’s nothing to be offended by. I consider these cards—whether or not overtly Christmas-themed—to be a generic greeting and wish of goodwill. I don’t think the point is to proselytize.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:42 PM

Just to clarify, cards only go to non-Jewish friends. We grew up observing Chanukkah and my mother insisted the Menorah be in the window, but it wasn't a big event; one present from the parents and a few silver dollars from my grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism