Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 05:27 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times

Advertisements

Morning prayers are going to start in a few minutes so they are on my mind.

On a weekday (a non sabbath, non holiday), an adult male dons phylacteries -- "tefillin".

He puts one on his forearm and then wraps a leather strap down the are and onto the hand, and one is placed on the head.

The boxes on each hold small scrolls on which certain Torah passages are written.

The man would not wear these on sabbath or festivals as they "grandeur" which they confer is already provided by the nature of the day.

A marrid man (*in some communities, any male over 13) also wears a tallit -- a large, rectangular prayer shawl which has, on each corner, a series of strings which are tied in a series of knots and wrappings.

Last edited by rosends; 03-05-2021 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 02:27 PM

As we are within 30 says of Passover, preparations have begun!

The key to having a successful Passover is preparation, working backwards from the start of the holiday. Lists upon lists and a schedule. For example, when one makes a metal sink kosher for Passover, one must first clean it thoroughly and not use it for 24 hours. So if one is going to want to use the sink, one has to plan when to cook/use the sink, and then make sure the sink is not used for 24 hours before that.

This year, Passover starts Saturday night which means that all Sabbath preparation will be under Passover rules (plus 2 challahs kept very much apart so as not to contaminate anything with Chameitz/leaven). In the US this means a "3 day yom tov" that is, 3 days in a row of sabbath/holiday laws.

I did the first set of "dry" shopping this morning: snacks, dry goods and stuff that can be put away in containers and doesn't need to be refrigerated. There will be a "cold things" shop and a "eggs, dairy and meat" trip, plus the inevitable "stuff we forgot" trip.

Passover questions?

Old 03-07-2021, 03:03 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
As we are within 30 says of Passover, preparations have begun!

The key to having a successful Passover is preparation, working backwards from the start of the holiday. Lists upon lists and a schedule. For example, when one makes a metal sink kosher for Passover, one must first clean it thoroughly and not use it for 24 hours. So if one is going to want to use the sink, one has to plan when to cook/use the sink, and then make sure the sink is not used for 24 hours before that.

This year, Passover starts Saturday night which means that all Sabbath preparation will be under Passover rules (plus 2 challahs kept very much apart so as not to contaminate anything with Chameitz/leaven). In the US this means a "3 day yom tov" that is, 3 days in a row of sabbath/holiday laws.

I did the first set of "dry" shopping this morning: snacks, dry goods and stuff that can be put away in containers and doesn't need to be refrigerated. There will be a "cold things" shop and a "eggs, dairy and meat" trip, plus the inevitable "stuff we forgot" trip.

Passover questions?
Any recommendations on nutritious, toddler-friendly KFP fare that's conducive to a cold, kosher dairy daycare lunch? The foods that immediately come to mind for me, like matzo brei, are best enjoyed hot and fresh, and can't easily be zapped in the microwave the night before like a veggie burger patty.

I believe that daycare is supplying the matzo, which is helpful. We usually pack a banana, which is obviously fine. I also thought that plain whole milk yogurt would be acceptable, but apparently some quick Google searches suggest otherwise--although I don't know if our low-key Conservative synagogue would take issue.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Any recommendations on nutritious, toddler-friendly KFP fare that's conducive to a cold, kosher dairy daycare lunch? The foods that immediately come to mind for me, like matzo brei, are best enjoyed hot and fresh, and can't easily be zapped in the microwave the night before like a veggie burger patty.

I believe that daycare is supplying the matzo, which is helpful. We usually pack a banana, which is obviously fine. I also thought that plain whole milk yogurt would be acceptable, but apparently some quick Google searches suggest otherwise--although I don't know if our low-key Conservative synagogue would take issue.
If you can keep things in the fridge, then cheeses and yogurt work nicely. Partly it will be limited to the palate of the involved child. I'm sure that there are plenty of K for P yogurts of various flavors. Hard. boiled eggs (egg salad?) Tuna (do children eat fish?) How about you roast butternut squash the day before with some sugar on it, and make some k for p quinoa with some flavor in it for protein.

Not sure if I can help. My kids are substantially older and I still don't know what to buy (though I found some k for P "bamba" equivalents made with almonds and cashews, and I bought "beet sticks" just because, you know, why not?)

Old 03-07-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
If you can keep things in the fridge, then cheeses and yogurt work nicely. Partly it will be limited to the palate of the involved child. I'm sure that there are plenty of K for P yogurts of various flavors. Hard. boiled eggs (egg salad?) Tuna (do children eat fish?) How about you roast butternut squash the day before with some sugar on it, and make some k for p quinoa with some flavor in it for protein.

Not sure if I can help. My kids are substantially older and I still don't know what to buy (though I found some k for P "bamba" equivalents made with almonds and cashews, and I bought "beet sticks" just because, you know, why not?)
Thank you for the suggestions!

My son likes scrambled eggs, but he's not quite eating tuna and egg salad (he's a few months shy of two). I'm sure we'll add tuna and egg salad into the rotation once he moves up to pre-school. He likes butternut squash and quinoa, so that's a great idea. He LOVES cheese, but he eats enough of that at home.

I wonder if Dr. Praeger's rolls out KFP items this time of year (assuming they'd even distribute them beyond the New York Tri-state region).

We can't bring in anything with peanuts or tree nuts, unfortunately.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:30 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Not being a millenial, I am not that familiar with quinoa. Is that really kosher for Passover and do I have to buy a box with one of the KP certs?

I just had oral surgery and I don't think I'll be able to handle matzah. What are my options? Even if I soften it, I don't think I can chew it. I am limited to smooth mush.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:54 AM

Here is some background on quinoa
https://oukosher.org/passover/guidel...-items/quinoa/

and this addresses why (according to the supervisors) it requires particular supervision

https://www.star-k.org/articles/arti...ssover-quinoa/

In terms of matzah, one is obligated to eat matzah on the first night of Passover. But in VERY extreme cases

https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis/i...to-buy-matzah/

Old 03-08-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Here is some background on quinoa
https://oukosher.org/passover/guidel...-items/quinoa/

and this addresses why (according to the supervisors) it requires particular supervision

https://www.star-k.org/articles/arti...ssover-quinoa/

In terms of matzah, one is obligated to eat matzah on the first night of Passover. But in VERY extreme cases

https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis/i...to-buy-matzah/
The USCJ no longer takes a hard-line stance on kitinyot, right? I believe daycare is giving out an informational sheet, since the daycare/preschool charges are not exclusively Jewish, and even many lifelong Jews with some amount of Jewish religious education (like me!) are confused on where things currently stand.

While we obviously didn’t eat chametz during Seders, we never kept KFP growing up, so some of the nuances are unfamiliar to me. For example, I never would have guessed that sugar snap peas were kitinyot.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The USCJ no longer takes a hard-line stance on kitinyot, right? I believe daycare is giving out an informational sheet, since the daycare/preschool charges are not exclusively Jewish, and even many lifelong Jews with some amount of Jewish religious education (like me!) are confused on where things currently stand.

While we obviously didn’t eat chametz during Seders, we never kept KFP growing up, so some of the nuances are unfamiliar to me. For example, I never would have guessed that sugar snap peas were kitinyot.
I don't know about the USCJ and its stances. Ashkenazic Orthodoxy, at least the mainstream part of it, still doesn't eat kitniyot.

Years ago, the wife and I served green beans because we just never thought of them as kitniyot.

oops.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I don't know about the USCJ and its stances. Ashkenazic Orthodoxy, at least the mainstream part of it, still doesn't eat kitniyot.

Years ago, the wife and I served green beans because we just never thought of them as kitniyot.

oops.
Yeah, I think the big news a few years back when Conservative Jewish leadership decided to reverse their stance on kitniyot was a Vatican II-type moment for a lot Jews.

It would never occur to me that fresh vegetables, besides corn, could be kitniyot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism