Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:16 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,689,638 times

Advertisements

So, how does Lumumba Jr. compare to Frank Melton? Better or worse? I never got bored of reading about Melton's antics when he was mayor:

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/new...-frank-melton/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 12:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Got it. Somehow I had forgotten about the airport and how other parties do want to get it away from Jackson. That actually does make sense for the city to sell it and use the funds to focus on infrastructure problems. For political reasons it doesn't sound like that will happen, as Jackson's political leaders have been feuding with State leaders for years and likely don't want to do anything that could be seen as helping the State, even if it also helps Jackson with it's own problems.
Oh I think the City would sell it....problem is, the State doesn't want to buy it.....they want to just take it over.

There's blame on both sides of the aisle on that issue. All I was saying is that the solution seems so simple.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
Quote:
So, how does Lumumba Jr. compare to Frank Melton? Better or worse? I never got bored of reading about Melton's antics when he was mayor:

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/new...-frank-melton/
Frank had his demons, but I think he was generally concerned about the city and knew what issues were holding the city back. I'd take Frank 10 out of 10 over every mayor we've have in the last 25 years (I moved to Jxn in 1995). I just wish Frank had run for mayor when he was younger and had more drive and stamina.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:17 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Looking back, it could be that Jackson’s greatest growth occurred under the infamous Allen Thompson.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:09 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Default UPDATE!!! Water Crisis Deepens: From 'Boil Water' to 'No Water Coming Through the Pipes'

Near-total dysfunction has arrived. Multiple pumps at "The O.B. Curtis Water Plant" have failed. Mandates and warnings from State and Federal authorities have been to no avail. Jackson has acted pitiful-enough, and has created a big-enough crisis, and now the State is stepping-in, to PAY FOR fixing the problem. Big win for Jackson. They know how to play The Pitiful Game.

Dowager Soybean Empress says that BabyChok was touring flooded Jackson, today, with Senator Roger Wicker. "BabyChok's scruffy look - with that bluejean shirt and all, just isn't working for him. He's looking like a cross between Don, Jr., and Hunter Biden. He used to be so cute, before he went tieless."

Anyway, here's coverage from Kingfish, of the latest Jackson Infrastructure Crisis. Councilman Stokes is RIGHT: Jackson Jambalaya: Governor: O.B. Curtis Water Plant is Failing

There are some good comments, below...

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 08-29-2022 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-29-2022, 07:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
For homeowners, schools and restaurants this is going to be a long road. As TW is common now it won't effect professional firms and government workers as much.

A sad situation, I'm sure Tater will have someone from the state oversee the expenditure of funds.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
For homeowners, schools and restaurants this is going to be a long road. As TW is common now it won't effect professional firms and government workers as much.

A sad situation, I'm sure Tater will have someone from the state oversee the expenditure of funds.
He'd better. Otherwise, those funds will provide spending money, at Hermès and Chanel, during Jackson City Leaders' next taxpayer-funded trip to Paris.

Here's Governor Sundayschoolteacher's press conference: https://www.wjtv.com/mississippi-flo...-water-crisis/

Oh, and I found several other pieces on Jackson Jambalaya, addressing the developing situation. These include photos of the plant, which is clearly NOT affected by the flooding. Jackson Jambalaya: We Report, You Decide: O.B. Curtis Edition

Old 08-23-2023, 03:56 PM

Default UPDATE! Water Crisis Month of Remembrance

Jackson Jambalaya: Jackson to Honor Water Crisis Anniversary

They're marking the crisis which began this thread, with its very own MONTH of commemoration. I knew it was a big deal, and so did Councilman Stokes.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:10 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,689,638 times
Will they also celebrate the garbage pickup crisis that the city caused in 2023? It's amazing how much city leadership has managed to mess up in such a short amount of time.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Will they also celebrate the garbage pickup crisis that the city caused in 2023? It's amazing how much city leadership has managed to mess up in such a short amount of time.
Oh, at-minimum, that one merits at least one week of observances: its planned activities reaching crescendo pitch with a parade and a pageant.

But we're divided on whether the parade should be first, with survivors attending and competing in the pageant, or whether survivors of the pageant should attend and be feted in the parade.

In 'Miss Firecracker', they had the parade after. But that's Yazoo City: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8i8y17 which is a totally different bunch: http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/202...ters-ided.html

And what to call the pageant? Possibilities to include:

Miss Trash*

Miss Garbage Pickup Crisis

Miss Garbage Crisis

and, last but not least,
Miss Doctor Garbage Pickup Crisis, Junior**

I favor the names which include 'Pickup', both because the word connotes frisky possibilities https://www.google.com/search?client...beverly+pickup, and because it lends itself to a parade comprised entirely of pickup trucks. And all of us are seeing the event as being muy-inclusive (inclusiveissimotivity being a hallmark of the Lumumba Regime: http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/202...n-edition.html), with, instead of a 'Miss Congeniality' prize, a 'Miss Biggest Beard' and 'Miss Hairiest Chest'.

Is it too late to add a poll to this thread?

*Our granddaughters, ever the budding oligarchs, mindful of the cost of space and letters and air time, wanted to keep it short, as if they were standing to make a profit off the affair. But their concept of 'Mississippi' is limited to the fact that one does not look out over Central Park, to see it on the Horizon - but one, instead, goes to one of the back windows of our floor-thru, and looks over Hell's Kitchen, across the Hudson, and across Hoboken... and it's out there, somewhere. They're only 8, and so have yet to grasp the poesy and comedy inherent in lengthy names.

*one of our Israeli guards has been reading about the official renaming of King County, Washington, and is thus aware of the importance of adding 'Doctor' and 'Junior'. ...and also of the fabulously-long names favored by Mississippians when they're naming things: https://www.google.com/search?client...h=569&dpr=1.71 and this was his modest proposal.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 08-26-2023 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson