Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 05:09 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times

Advertisements

What about Cincinnati? It's just as close (or closer, depending on what side of Indy you're on) and it's a pretty vibrant place, or so I hear.

RM

Old 01-24-2024, 11:01 PM

99 posts, read 57,696 times
Indy was more active tonight with the snow melted and being above freezing actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
What about Cincinnati? It's just as close (or closer, depending on what side of Indy you're on) and it's a pretty vibrant place, or so I hear.

RM
Yes that is the next city I was going to consider-at first I did not realize the difference was about the same. 5 miles closer from me apparently. I am going to check Cindy out in the next few weeks.

The other one I had thought about is Bloomington-obviously it is a college town, and I am a bit too old for that at this point, but other BIG10 college towns I have been to have been more vibrant than Indy so it is worth exploring as well) (Madison, etc.). That commute would be more like 1hr-1:15 which is actually a lot more realistic.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:44 AM

I don’t think Bloomington would address your needs based on what you describe.

I’ve lived near both Bloomington and Madison (“MadTown”) and I would not consider them similar. While both are college towns, the vibe in Madison is a lot more “vibrant”, for lack of a better description. Not sure how to quantify this.

RM

Old 01-25-2024, 09:53 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
You can live in the Kentucky part of Cincinatti. Southern-lite. I think you might wanna think about Lexington. It's about 75 miles to Cincinatti and Louisville. Lexington has UK. The college towns that have major university offer alot of culture for the older adults to enjoy, too. I wouldn't want to live in a town in a town that didn't have a good sized college in it.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 01-25-2024 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-25-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You can live in the Kentucky part of Cincinatti. Southern-lite. I think you might wanna think about Lexington. It's about 75 miles to Cincinatti and Louisville. Lexington has UK. The college towns that have major university offer alot of culture for the older adults to enjoy, too. I wouldn't want to live in a town in a town that didn't have a good sized college in it.
That would be quite the haul, but there is a lot of money and culture in Lexington due to the horse trade.

RM

Old 01-25-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
That would be quite the haul, but there is a lot of money and culture in Lexington due to the horse trade.

RM
What neighborhoods do you recommend in Cincy?

Quick search shows
-Over the Rhine
-hyde Park
-mount lookout

Old 01-25-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The most vibrant area of the city is probably Mass Ave. The weather hasn't been great lately, but Mass Ave is hopping most of the time when the weather isn't awful. Broad Ripple is another good choice, though, I think referring to BR as "small" compared to the Highlands is a bit unfair. The Highlands is more of a collection of small neighborhoods along Bardstown Road, whereas BR is just a standalone neighborhood. College Ave going south through Meridian Kessler and the so-called SoBro would I guess be analogous to Bardstown Rd in a way, but not really.

I don't know, coming to an Indianapolis forum to bemoan how you wish you lived in Louisville is a bit strange. If you want help finding things to do around town, I'm happy to help. It doesn't sound like that is what you want though.

I grew up in Kentucky, and I love Louisville. If you want to move to Louisville, move to Louisville. Its a great town, but not without its own challenges and struggles just like Indy. You mentioned Cincinnati, that's another great choice.

Not really sure what else you're hoping to accomplish here though. Maybe visit the Louisville forum? Peter is a legend, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help out.
What areas do you recommend outside of downtown and Broad Ripple? Is there anything interesting in downtown Carmel? The houses are super nice there but I've only drive through

Last edited by baller1234; 01-25-2024 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-25-2024, 07:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Crescent Hill and Clifton are decent areas in Louisville right by Bardstown Rd and the Highlands.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Crescent Hill and Clifton are decent areas in Louisville right by Bardstown Rd and the Highlands.
Cool yea I'll have to check it out more.

From my time in Louisville it kind of seems like a poor mans nashville in some parts. I mean it as a compliment though since nashville is one of my favorite cities in the US.

I think it is nice that Louisville and Cincy are on rivers.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:12 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1234 View Post
What areas do you recommend outside of downtown and Broad Ripple? Is there anything interesting in downtown Carmel? The houses are super nice there but I've only drive through
Based on what you've said about Indy, you certainly would not like Carmel. Downtown Carmel can be lively during the day but pretty quiet at night with the possible exception of when the have events on the screen at the midtown plaza by Sun King. If Broad Ripple isn't lively enough for you, downtown Carmel would not be what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis