Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 10:57 AM

18 posts, read 28,533 times

Advertisements

From what I am seeing now, Carmel has gone on a path of overdevelopment. Density is too high with way too many apartments and near skyscrapers(5 floors+). It bills itself as an upper middle class suburb, but sure doesn't feel like it anymore. Crime is up as is traffic.

Where should one look for a nice, reasonably quiet, safe Indianapolis suburb today? Experiences of others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 11:35 AM

174 posts, read 243,464 times
If you like Carmel and looking for more of that sort of community I'd recommend Zionsville.

You will find almost all communities will go the route of Carmel. For one Carmel only has so much more developable land and they I'm sure are looking at ways to increase their tax base, but decrease the land use for such things. While nice, single family homes won't always pay the bills...just ask Franklin Central community area in south eastern Indianapolis.

That being said I think that Zionsville and maybe even Westfield on the north side have the best chance of staying that upper middle class suburb you are looking for. Eventually the growth will come to them, but more slowly and not to the point of "skyscrapers" (I personally wouldn't call 5 floors the minimum for skyscrapers) any time soon.

Franklin or Center Grove area (PArtially Greenwood) as mentioned on these forums for the Southside would be a good spot and even Pendleton Heights or Mt Vernon in North East. West I'd say Plainfield or Brownsburg.

Again since you mentioned Carmel which is North I'd probably recommend most Zionsville if you can afford the price tag. Very quaint downtown, more rural feel, but definitely upper middle class.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:11 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
What, besides a "safe suburb" are you looking for?
The southside has an advantage of getting out into the country much quicker than the northside. I have a motorcycle. I can be in "the country" in a matter of minutes and love it.
If you prefer better shopping and restaurant options, then I recommend the northside.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:07 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
I loved living on the West side, and I think Avon is a great community. It has multiple options for getting downtown, and was a quick 25 minute commute for me to the Federal Courthouse downtown.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:27 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I loved living on the West side, and I think Avon is a great community. It has multiple options for getting downtown, and was a quick 25 minute commute for me to the Federal Courthouse downtown.
I would second this as a former homeowner in the Avon area. Despite Rockville Road being a pain, it’s easy to avoid via side streets and downtown and the interstate are readily accessible. If you stick to the northern part along the south side of 21st Street it’s ideal.

RM

Old 09-11-2022, 12:34 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Something else to consider:

What sort of house are you looking for? Same with the neighborhood?

I ask because the Southside (south of I-465) despite being "old" is very well established, has a lot of nice older neighborhoods with community schools, and is accessible to both downtown and retail/restaurants in the area. That's Southport, Homecroft, Edgewood, etc., places like this.

Yes, the homes are going to come from the 50s/60s/70s, but they're very solid, have large yards with mature trees and have probably been refreshed several times.

Just a thought.

RM

Old 09-11-2022, 03:21 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ePoster View Post
From what I am seeing now, Carmel has gone on a path of overdevelopment. Density is too high with way too many apartments and near skyscrapers(5 floors+). It bills itself as an upper middle class suburb, but sure doesn't feel like it anymore. Crime is up as is traffic.

Where should one look for a nice, reasonably quiet, safe Indianapolis suburb today? Experiences of others?
Pretty much ever other suburb. And a sky scraper is not 5 floors. Indy doesn’t even have skyscrapers

Old 09-12-2022, 06:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Indy doesn’t even have skyscrapers
The generally accepted criteria of a skyscraper is 100 meters / 330 feet tall. There are 9 buildings that meet that criteria in downtown Indianapolis.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:46 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
If you are looking for the space that Carmel used to have, you'll probably need to go fairly far into Westfield or northern Noblesville.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you are looking for the space that Carmel used to have, you'll probably need to go fairly far into Westfield or northern Noblesville.
Zionsville is nicer overall than either Westfield or Noblesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis