Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 04:34 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times

Advertisements

For those with all the "if we ban guns....blah, blah, blah" I didn't say ban guns. I absolutely think automatic rifles do not need to be in the hands of regular citizens. We've had an assault weapons ban before. People managed just fine. Unfortunately Bush let it expire.

I'm beyond sick of the weekly/daily mass shootings that occur in this country uniquely. For all the excuses: mental health, no religion, bad families, etc. I say you must have a VERY poor opinion of the U.S. and believe those same issues don't exist in other countries. I don't think we are unique in having people with mental health issues, etc. We are unique in allowing assault weapons in the hands of anyone over 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 04:35 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
It was reported this morning that the hero of the moment was in violation of Simon Properties rules which disallows all firearms on mall property. I'm sure we will be hearing a LOT about this incident from pro-gun advocates. Thank God that young man ignored the "rules"!
I don't know why the killer ignored the "rules" too. Maybe it's time we wake up and realize that someone intending to commit murder isn't worried about rules or laws?

Old 07-18-2022, 04:42 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
It was reported this morning that the hero of the moment was in violation of Simon Properties rules which disallows all firearms on mall property. I'm sure we will be hearing a LOT about this incident from pro-gun advocates. Thank God that young man ignored the "rules"!
Every gang banger ignores the rules we may as well too. This guy should get a medal.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
For those with all the "if we ban guns....blah, blah, blah" I didn't say ban guns. I absolutely think automatic rifles do not need to be in the hands of regular citizens. We've had an assault weapons ban before. People managed just fine. Unfortunately Bush let it expire.

I'm beyond sick of the weekly/daily mass shootings that occur in this country uniquely. For all the excuses: mental health, no religion, bad families, etc. I say you must have a VERY poor opinion of the U.S. and believe those same issues don't exist in other countries. I don't think we are unique in having people with mental health issues, etc. We are unique in allowing assault weapons in the hands of anyone over 18.
Please read

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...eapon-ban.html

There was no actual ban.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:21 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
Quote:

Not sure how you're defining assault weapons, but if you mean automatic and semi-automatic rifles--most mass shootings involve handguns. Which until last year (and maybe even now) you had to be 21 to buy from a dealer.

It's incorrect that guns of any kind are legally allowed "in the hands of anyone over 18." There is a long list conditions barring people from possessing guns or ammunition.

Federal restrictions: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sc/prog...-firearms-laws
Indiana's restrictions: https://fox59.com/news/what-we-know-...effect-july-1/
Indiana's red flag law: https://www.in.gov/isp/indiana-jake-...-red-flag-law/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-types-used/

Last edited by sheerbliss; 07-18-2022 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-18-2022, 06:42 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:

I don't know much about guns, but even I know that automatic rifles are not "in the hands of regular citizens." Most guns in the US are semi-automatic, meaning one pull of the trigger releases one bullet. The "assault weapons ban" was about aesthetics more than anything else, and unfortunately it had no beneficial effect.

I do hope you will read and learn about the meaningless term "assault weapon." Until fairly recently, I sounded a lot like you, railing against assault weapons and automatic rifles. Then I started reading about guns, and talking with gun owners, and now I know how foolish I sounded.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't know much about guns, but even I know that automatic rifles are not "in the hands of regular citizens." Most guns in the US are semi-automatic, meaning one pull of the trigger releases one bullet. The "assault weapons ban" was about aesthetics more than anything else, and unfortunately it had no beneficial effect.

I do hope you will read and learn about the meaningless term "assault weapon." Until fairly recently, I sounded a lot like you, railing against assault weapons and automatic rifles. Then I started reading about guns, and talking with gun owners, and now I know how foolish I sounded.
One of the most humble, honest posts I've ever read on here.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:40 PM

235 posts, read 247,477 times
I'm still wondering whether the Samaritan in Luke 10 pulled out his handgun. Indiana is such a Bible-reading state that there should be a closer relevance to what the Samaritan actually did for the victim. Mr. Dicken helped stop the shooting, but the term Good Samaritan does not fit.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:11 PM

334 posts, read 520,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
I'm still wondering whether the Samaritan in Luke 10 pulled out his handgun. Indiana is such a Bible-reading state that there should be a closer relevance to what the Samaritan actually did for the victim. Mr. Dicken helped stop the shooting, but the term Good Samaritan does not fit.
I usually go a bit further, try Luke 22:36-38, there are of course many interpretations, but my take on it is: one should be able to defend themselves and others

Old 07-18-2022, 08:41 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
The term "Good Samaritan" has long been used for anyone who takes the time and effort to help a stranger. This man definitely fits the description. I can't imagine why you would nitpick about the word being used to describe this man. He risked his life to save many.

And before anyone asks how did he risk his life....
If he had missed the killer, the killer might have immediately shot him.
If police had arrived and saw him holding his gun, they might have thought he was the bad guy and shot him.

He was a hero, a Good Samaritan, a good guy with a gun, a lifesaver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: