Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 02:34 PM

238 posts, read 129,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I'm a bit curious how no homework and children not bringing home textbooks makes a school district a dumpster fire. I guess rule out Fishers as well. In the HSE school district, homework doesn't really begin until 3rd or 4th grade and any textbooks on just on the iPad. Yet my kids are more advanced than I was at their grade level in school doing homework (really, busywork) every night and stressing about getting it all done.

Some people actually want their local schools to have standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 12:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Some people actually want their local schools to have standards.
How are kids going to grow up to learn that unpaid labor after work hours, when you should be spending time with family, is normal if you don't give them homework?

Life in the the USA is about generating income for the elite at your own expense, giving the best years of your and your children's lives to the billionaire CEOs, not having a quality of life like some communist from Europe.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:52 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
It's a time suck for the parents, too. A friend in Westfield has two kids who are about 11 and 12. The amount of time she has to spend helping them with their homework (which is pretty advanced for their ages) and taking them to sports practice is staggering.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:18 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I grew up in Littleton and Jefferson County, Colorado. But I don't think many grade schools anywhere were assigning a bunch of homework in the 70s and 80s.

Ditto here, in Ct in the 60s. We memorized our spelling lists and times tables once a week and had the occasional report or as mentioned, diorama or some such but no real regular homework until the 7th grade. I can recall at younger ages being envious of the older kids getting to carry real notebook binders and doing homework. I thought it would be fun! lol. I was a good student but I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:12 PM

148 posts, read 459,134 times
Schools and school systems have gone back and forth for decades about whether to assign homework. I'm a historian of education at a university in Ohio, and have studied a little bit about this. The trends go back at least to the 1950s, when homework was "in" during the Cold War, and schools assigned much more than they do today. In the 1970s, there was concern that students, especially high school students, were being assigned too much homework, falling behind and not graduating because of competing responsibilities with work and home. Since the 1970s, there hasn't been any kind of national movement toward or away from homework, it just seems to bubble up with the other public anxieties about public education. I wouldn't take it as a sign of quality either way.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:54 PM

289 posts, read 254,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I mean the whole point of homework is to get you to study and learn and dare I say it, learn to deal with stress and learn about hard work.
When I was in school, homework was busywork. It seems to be the same for kids today, and busywork does not equate to studying. Also, who among us brings work from our jobs to our home? Some of us for sure, but not the majority. I would rather spend time with my kid/s when school and work is done. Of course, we won't always be hanging out together, but when we aren't, I want them to be with their friends, grandparents, the dog, crafting a homemade slingshot, reading a book, skipping rocks across a pond, fishing, etc...

Make class time demanding, sure, but don't send a load of busywork home with the kids. Stress? Kids already have enough stress in their lives. Again, make their classes demanding but let it end when they leave the school.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:51 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
I remember being assigned, daily, dozens and dozens of 3- and 4-column multiplication problems, sometimes up to 10 pages in the book. This was in third grade, in 1966, and probably was the start of my math aversion throughout school and university. Math had seemed so easy up until then, like "OK, I understand how to add or subtract the numbers in the Pilgrim's hat, what's the next thing?" Maybe a tsunami of tedious multiplication problems does help most people learn math, but it didn't help me.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:16 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
In the 1960's and early 70's, homework was part of school. A student bringing home homework was never unusual. In junior high they loaded us down with homework and that's what home room/study hall was for, so you could do some or all of your homework so you wouldn't have to take it home.. We didn't have home room in elementary and I don't remember much homework at all in 10th, 11th and 12th grade, I think thats because so many kids had jobs outside of school.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:54 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I lived in Carmel for three years.

If I didn't care for the outdoors like I do, and didn't have a girlfriend who is deeply anchored in western NC, I'd gladly move back to Carmel.

Day-to-day life can't get any better than that for the average person who goes to work, comes home, does it again, then has a typical suburban lifestyle on the weekends.

It's not woke. If you think Carmel is woke, please move to some hellhole area that is so backwards that is has nothing going for it.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:37 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you think Carmel is woke, please move to some hellhole area that is so backwards that is has nothing going for it.
Plenty of examples scattered around Indiana.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis