Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,279,820 times

Advertisements

I have a wicker bedroom set I bought used. The furniture is very heavy. Sleigh bed is solid wood with wood framed wicker headboard and footboard. End table and dresser are also solid wood and have wicker insets in the drawers. Bun feet on all three pieces. Mirror, also with wicker insert, is 4' X 3.5'.

All I know about the set is that it has a sticker stating that it was sold by Harden Mfg and was made in Vietnam.

It needs to be refinished. I am going to take it to a professional. I was thinking of painting the bed solid white, the end table, dresser and mirror white with pastel yellow on the wicker inserts.

I am known for my bad taste, so does this sound like it would look good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

14,518 posts, read 12,155,143 times
A picture would really help!

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
White wicker is a thing so you're not going out on a limb with anything crazy. You can Google some pics to give you an idea of what it will look at.

Good taste is subjective, so it's a personal decision.

For me, personal decor aside, I think that would be a pain to keep clean, and if you don't, it will show and look bad.

Also, is the wicker finished at all? If it is it may be hard for the white paint to stick to it? My painting knowledge is non-existent. Just enough to know that most things I try with paint don't work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

23,341 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Are you sensitive to dust/dust mites OP? Hopefully not. Keeping all the little nooks and crannies of wicker free of dust will take some effort. That being said, I'd opt for plain white wicker instead of two toned. If I really must have an accent color I'd choose something with more contrast than yellow. Yellow might end up giving the impression those areas are undusted/dingy.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 03:34 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,279,820 times
It does have a finish. That's why I am taking it to a professional. I see what you mean about pastel yellow. I will look at some yellow colors, I just don't want anything too bright.

I wish I could put a picture of it for you to see, but I am using a public computer - at the library. I thought keeping it clean would be harder than it is. Bi-weekly dusting keeps the wicker clean.

Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
Personally, I would keep it all white and accept he furniture with bedding and pillows or decorative items. I am not a fan of decorative pillows myself, so if they are not your thing either, then colorful decor would be my suggestion.

Old Today, 09:21 AM

1,961 posts, read 929,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I am known for my bad taste, so does this sound like it would look good?

You asked, so here goes.

That color combo sounds (to me) like something that would go in a toddler's room.

I would go with all white if I were going to do anything to it.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I didn't catch the yellow the first time... not to say it absolutely couldn't work, but I think it would just come across as dingy.

It would matter on all the other stuff in the room. I could see it with bright yellow (or even a buttery yellow), comforter and accents, and some beautiful house plants.

But the other poster is right, it would "pull" towards toddler's room, unless the rest of the room offsets that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating